Author Topic: ARMAGH RESOURCES, LINKS & OFFERS  (Read 35081 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
ARMAGH RESOURCES, LINKS & OFFERS
« on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:19 GMT (UK) »
                                                      **NEWS**
This thread now replaces the Armagh Resources & Offers board. I have included all the information that was there and added a few more resources for County Armagh but if anyone can supply other links that will help other Rootschatters please let me know by PM or in a new post (a link as well as an explanation as to contents please). The contents of your topic will then be edited into to the relevant category topic and your original posting will be deleted.  (This may result in you receiving a "deleted" notification e-mail but will keep this thread tidy and easy to use)

Resources and Links in this thread organised by the following categories:
General sources for research
Census Records
Church records
Graveyards & Gravestones
Land Records & Maps
Directories
Places
People & Families
Libraries, Museums & History Groups
Schools, Workhouses, Institutions, Occupations
Books, Newspapers, Magazines
Misc. & General Sources

OFFERS - see reply #13
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ARMAGH RESOURCES
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
General sources for research

Irish Genealogical Project- Armagh- lots of links
Lurgan Ancestry records online (site is closed but link to records still here)- well worth a browse

PRONI (Public Records of Northern Ireland): Freeholders Records, Will Extracts, 1912 Ulster Covenant. Also guides to records, etc. New e-catalogue has lots of material and is well worth searching with names, places, etc.

Various Co. Armagh links

Lurgan Ancestry- history, timeline, old photos, tithe applotment and much, much more. NEW 3/2011

Some Co. Armagh records here: NEW 3/2013
http://www.connorsgenealogy.net/Armagh/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:20 GMT (UK) »
Census Records
census returns & substitutes

1821 Census for Forkhill Parish, Co. Armagh available at www.emeraldancestors.com (pay site)- nearly 6,500 names of residents living in the Parish of Forkhill (includes the name, age, occupation and relationship to the head of household for all residents recorded within the Parish).

1841-1851- Old Age Pension Claims: the introduction of old age pension (min. age 70) c1909 meant 1841 and 1851 census returns were checked as claimants were born before civil registration of births started in 1864. Extracts from these census searches are in the pension claim files (PRONI).
It is sometimes worth checking for people slightly younger than pension age (surprising how many people weren't as old as they said!) or older siblings whose details can fill in family details such as names of parents and year of marriage, townland, etc.

1901 and 1911 census- now on National Archives, Dublin website (free) with links to scanned images

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Graveyards & Gravestones

Creggan Graveyard, near Crossmaglen

St. Patrick's Cemetery, Cullyhanna: "Tombstone Inscriptions of Creggan Parish. St. Patrick's Cemetery, Cullyhanna, Co Armagh" by Michael McShane (published 2002 by Creggan Local History Society).

Ireland's Gravestone Index- pay site but search is free and can be quite useful (although there are some errors with people being listed twice in wrong parishes)

NEW View maps for location of County Armagh graveyards- you can filter by denomination and other N.I. counties are also available. http://historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?armagh

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Land Records & Maps

Townlands, Parishes, etc.
Counties are made up of parishes and parishes are made up of a group of townlands. If you are doing any research in Ireland these divisions become extremely important. For further information:
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/records/land/townland.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townland
http://www.ancestryireland.com/database.php?filename=townlands
To find townlands + parishes :
www.thecore.com/seanruad (change default setting from exact match to find part of a word)
www.logainm.ie/?menuItem=about&uiLang=en

Map of civil parishes
another map of parishes new 1/13
Map of Baronies
Administrative Division of Ireland- site can be hard to use at first and not complete for everywhere in Armagh but well worth persisting to see if the area you are interested in is included.

1835-38 Ordnance Survey Extracts- Seagoe Parish
1837 Lewis' Topographical Dictionary
Griffith's Valuation- search by name or place, scans of printed pages, some links to maps
c1870s Armagh Landowners List
1876 Armagh Landowners List

Some Estate Records mentioned here.

The Northern Ireland Valuation and Lands Agency gives the names of the District Councils throughout the Province, the names of the Wards in each Council and the names of roads and streets within those Wards. 

There are several different systems of land measurement in place in Ireland at various times
Statute acre (or English acre) = 4840 square yards
Cunningham acre = 6250 square yards (a Scottish measurement. Cunningham acres need to be multiplied by 1.29 to convert them to English, statute acres). See here
Irish acre = 7840 square yards. See here and here
conversion table: www.convertcenter.com/convertunit.aspx/area/irish_acre/all/56/0/1
This may explain the differences in the acreage of a farm which seems to have changed in size.
Quote from: Bhoy
Possibly also worth mentioning is what “A.R.P.” means.
It stands for acres, roods & perch.  There are 40 perch to a rood, and 4 roods to an acre.
These subdivisions apply to both Statute (a.k.a. Imperial) and Irish systems of measurements.

Dual Maps: www.mapchannels.com/DualMaps.aspx
Display two maps side-by-side for single location (Google Maps + Microsoft Virtual Earth Maps). Also includes new Google Street View option to view ground level imagery of Belfast.
Multimap: www.multimap.com/index.htm
Google Maps: http://maps.google.co.uk
Geograph project: www.geograph.org.uk
"The Geograph British Isles project aims to collect geographically representative photographs and information for every square kilometre of Great Britain and Ireland."

Weather maps: http://weather.uk.msn.com

Northern Ireland Place-Names project- maps and various search options. NEW 25/4/11

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Places

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 November 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
People & Families

Dictionary of Ulster Biography- put Armagh into location box and click on search button to find Armagh people

Quote from: Christopher
Alison Causton's History Pages contain a Military Records index for Co. Armagh They relate to British Army soldiers who stated they were born in Co. Armagh (including general service units, regiments, fencibles, artillery, etc) and/or soldiers who served in the Armagh Militia (many of whom were born outside the county). http://tinyurl.com/4z86hf