Author Topic: Fleeson Family and James Elliott  (Read 22839 times)

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fleeson Family and James Elliott
« on: Friday 04 November 11 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Tracing history starting with Ellen Fleeson and Mr Fleeson married about 1790 - Delvin, Westmeath
Children - Plunkett Fleeson, Emily Fleeson, William Fleeson, and maybe John Fleeson

Plunkett Fleeson married Eliza Fleeson about 1824 - children ???? John 1826 James 1827 Thomas 1833 Emily 1837

We are related to Emily 1837 who married James Elliott in Ireland about 1861 Killcun and travelled to England and then to Australia

Any other information would be great

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Fleeson Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 11 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what denomination your Fleeson family were ?

All the births you mentioned are before the start of full civil records in 1864, so you would have to check to see if church baptism records are availabale.

Non-Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 - so the James Elliott / Emily marriage would have a civil record if they were Church of Ireland for example..

see :

Introduction to Irish Records
  My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 11 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Plunkett Fleeson married Eliza Fleeson about 1824 - children ....
We are related to Emily 1837 who married James Elliott in Ireland about 1861 Killcun and travelled to England and then to Australia

There's an extracted marriage record on FamilySearch with similar names and location - date is a little different however.. maybe a relation of the family you mentioned..

Groom: Plunket Fleison
  Bride: Elizabeth Price
  Marriage date: 28 May 1840

The film given is 101011 and this includes a likely source for this marriage

Parish register transcripts, 1696-1835
  Church of Ireland. Parish Church of Killucan
  Includes baptisms, 1696-1795 with index;
  burials, 1700-1772 with index;
  marriages, 1787-1929;
  churchwardens, 1699-1800.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 11 09:42 GMT (UK) »

This marriage is included in Civil records, and an extracted version is available on FamilySearch :

Groom: James Elliott / age 26 (c1835)
  Bride: Emily Fleeson / age 24 (c1837)
  Marriage date: 29 Jan 1861
  Marriage place: Killucan, West[meath]
  Groom's father: Thomas Elliott
  Bride's father: Plunket Fleeson
  See : link

The BMD index references for this marriage are :

Name: Emily Fleeson
  Registration district:   Mullingar
  Event type: Marriage
  Year: 1861
  Volume: 8 / Page: 302

name: James Elliott
  [Same refereces as Emily]

You can use these to order a research civil cert - which will give a few additional details, such as residences for the bride and groom, occupations, name of the church, witnesses etc

see :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

Details included on a Marriage Cert

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 November 11 05:50 GMT (UK) »
Shane - thanks for that - we think Emily Fleeson and James Elliott - Mullingar had a son (John Plunkett 1861) in Ireland, and then went to London and had a daughter (Sarah 1863) and another son (Joseph Thomas 1866), and then came to Australia.

SARAH ELLIOTT is our great grandmother. We are looking for Sarah's birth details - we think it is now London as that is what is says on her marriage certificate but we are not sure (haven't been able to find it) the clue came when we found the son (Joseph Thomas 1866) of Emily and James - it was London (Highgate) - this is the name of family home in Australia so we think this is him but again not sure as the names at that time are very similar and therefore hard to prove exactly.

We originally thought Sarah Elliott may have been born in Ireland.
Thanks ................. Alison

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 11 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Shane - are there records to trace policeman - James Elliott was a police constable at some stage of his life - so we wanted to know if we can trace this in Ireland - the census in London says he was a constable - this will confirm we have the correct info

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Info on records:
http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/take-it-further/jobs/policewebsites

Did find this:
Ireland's Royal Garrison Artillery
(The index contains entries sorted by surname, first name. Each item in the index points to the class and piece number. Index is created from records dated 1872 - 1915. The original documents are at the Public Records Office, Kew, England. and are in class WO96. Originals provide more information than the index. Think location refers to  where stationed.)

James   FLEESON   Nenagh, Tipperary   WO96/1442
Possible relative?

Child called Plunkett  C of I - and it looks like this family had a tendancy to use the same names
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Westmeath/Delvin/Mooretown/881111/   
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Westmeath/Delvin/Mooretown/1778313/

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/f7127e0181682
An earlier Plunkett Fleeson C of I

See also (free on google books) Doris Fleeson By Carolyn Sayler p 22

Griffiths has only 5 results for this spelling, which include the Plunkett in Dublin and a James in Delvin.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ghk/

(footnotes on the Dublin ones:)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ghl/http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~registryofdeeds/by_name/name103.htm
Also an Irish Plunkett F was instrumental in printing the first wallpaper in America! There is lots of info on line about him and the furniture maker.

Pm

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 11 14:40 GMT (UK) »
If James Elliott was a police constable in Highgate then I think the London Metropolitan Police would be the place to check.
Does the birth cert for Joseph mention this as his occupation ?

The police force in Ireland was the R.I.C. (Royal Irish Constabulary) and an index is available on the Ancestry website. To view the details you have to check microfilms which are available in several libraries and I believe in LDS FamilySearch centres.

Metropolitan Police records may mention if he transferred from the R.I.C. Probably the best place to find out if records are available would be the London & Middlesex board here on RootsChat.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 November 11 00:53 GMT (UK) »
PM and Shane - thanks heaps, I am on the journey of discovery, sincerely appreciate your assistance. Yes the family used the same names over and over which becomes confusing but fun. My aunty has Fleeson as her middle name and now we can explain to her why, and lots of Emily and Ellen along the way, regards Alison