Author Topic: 64 Hooper Road, Essex  (Read 8721 times)

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 2x Gt Grandmother, Catherine M Turner
    • View Profile
64 Hooper Road, Essex
« on: Friday 16 November 07 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just received my 2x Great Grandmothers birth cert, it states that she was born at 64 Hooper Road, West Ham, Custom House. I had a look on googlemaps and it looks like it is still there. Does anyone know this house? This might be a dumb question too but what is Custom House? I see there is a Custom House by a railroad on the map but don't know what this has to do with the address given on cert (i'm from New Zealand and sometimes get a little confused over British ways!)

If anyone can tell me anything about 64 Hooper Road house it would be very much appreciated. My 2x gt gran was Lydia Victoria Harris, she was born in 1893 so this house would be quite old!

Thank you
Cat  :)
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 64 Hooper Road, Essex
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 07 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Cat,

Custom House, is part of West Ham. It gets its name from a Custom House which was situated in the nearby docks. A custom house is a building where documents were brought to custom officials by shipping agents. More here.
http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server.php?show=ConNarrative.145&chapterId=2993

More on West Ham here.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42748

I cannot help you about 64 Hooper Road, but the area was very badly damaged during WWII and it is most likely that the house has been replaced by modern flats.

Phil
historyhouse.co.uk

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 07 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Cat,

I've just looked on the satellite view on Google Maps and it does seem that the area has been redeveloped, but it may need someone 'on the ground' to confirm this.

Phil
historyhouse.co.uk

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 07 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for replying Phil and for all that useful info!

What a shame if it was damaged during the war.  I seemed to forget that could be a possibility when searching!

Thank you for time, it is much appreciated.

Thank you
Cat
Bishop:  Sussex, New Zealand<br />Henwood:  England<br />Harris: London; Smith, Leicestershire <br />Chandler: Sussex<br />Truelove: Surrey, New Zealand<br />Blackburn: Lancashire<br />Carlton: Australia, NZ, Bristol, Ireland <br />Foster:NZ, Queensland, Yorkshire,<br />Marshall: Yorkshire, Lancashire <br />Cannon:Ireland to NZ<br />Turner:England<br />Farquharson: Scotland, Australia<br />Durward: Scotland<br <br />Johnston: Australia, Cumberland, Dumfries <br />Gearon: Ireland,NZ

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 07 09:27 GMT (UK) »
After reading the info on West Ham i would say it is HIGHLY likely that it isn't the original building. You are correct in saying that the area was badly damaged and seems to have had alot of reconstruction done.

Pity  :(

Thank you Phil

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 January 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cat

The replies and links following your posting have been helpful to me too.

My gt grandfather had lived nearby in Ethel Road.  If you are adding to your
records I  do have a detail street map,  Canning Town and Custom House,
dated 1914 sheet 66 from the  Godfrey Old Ordnance Survey series. 

If you would like a scan copy -let me know,
Jean M

Barrett. Buggs. Burgess. Curd. Edwards. Hadlow. Ladell, Lawrence. Parvin. Pearce. Ramsden. Ring. Lancaster.  <br /><br />Ackers. Bennett. Coppin.

Offline C_Bishop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 January 08 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jean
That would be fantastic thanks!
Will pm you

Cheers

Offline Jean M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 January 08 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cat,

Will be on its way, pronto.
Jean M
Barrett. Buggs. Burgess. Curd. Edwards. Hadlow. Ladell, Lawrence. Parvin. Pearce. Ramsden. Ring. Lancaster.  <br /><br />Ackers. Bennett. Coppin.

Offline Chelmsford

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 July 13 02:44 BST (UK) »
As a child I lived on Hooper rd, no. 28.  My mum as a child and gran lived at 54 and my aunt lived at no. 24. Moved out in 1967 but I do remember the street, like it started at number 8 because the houses at the top of the road were bombed during WW2.  We moved out because the road was demolished in about 1967 to build blocks of flats and one of those blocks, Rownan Point collapsed in the seventies.