Author Topic: Cecil Blake. Mill Hill, Sandon  (Read 6655 times)

Offline pb100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cecil Blake. Mill Hill, Sandon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 May 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi mt40

Thanks very much for your post.

By pure chance, the same day I read your post, I also received an email from the great-grandaughter of Eliza, asking if I wanted to make contact. She lives in the US.

I'd certainly be interested in adding your family into my family tree and documenting any information or memories you may have. Eliza sounds like a very interesting person!

Kind Regards
Paul

Offline mt40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 May 13 07:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou, Paul.

Yes, we agree, Eliza seems like a very interesting person. Her young children probably missed her.

Once we've done some more research we'll be back in touch with you again; hopefully with more definite info about Eliza Williams. We've only just begun this project recently, but a few investigations are in train.

Did you know Eliza was also called Lily by the family?

It would be great if we could also be in touch with her great-grand-daughter and maybe exchange some details. Does she post on this site?

Until then, we'll all keep searching for the kind of people these ancestors were.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 May 13 08:20 BST (UK) »
It may be worth using the private message facility

When more than 2 posts have been made you can exchange information which needs to be kept from public boards  via Private message facility.
It is RootsChat policy to not post details of the living/maybe living  (spam identity theft etc) so PM is a good way to exchange this type of information

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mt40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 May 13 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Suz.
I really appreciate your suggestion. It would be good to get some private contact on this matter.
Have a good day!

Offline jonathanpoole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Reading the memoirs of ex Tan, Constable Graham Poole, 'The Black and Tans in Galway during the Irish Troubles' (London Life, April 1966) who was present at Ballyturin after the murders. Most of the article concentrates on stop and search activities carried out the the Tans around Galway in 1921, however I have included his witness account of the Ballyturin Massacre.
"We were alerted to a shooting close to Gort by the daughter of a local protestant landowner, who had also been threatened by the gang of killers. Fifteen men including myself were immediately sent to the place where the assassins had struck, the army had also been alerted and in all 3 Crossley's and an ambulance attended. When we arrived, a number of people emerged from the gatehouse of the property, it transpired that masked men had held them prisoner while they meticulously planned their foul deed, all were unwilling to speak, out of fear. It was after this we saw the brutal carnage the killers had left in their wake. One man was by the gate slumped against a wall, he had been shot in several places and was quite dead. Inside the gate was a motor car containing the body of one of our men, an auxiliary named Blake, he was totally peppered with shot and the car was full of blood. On the path behind the car was a woman whose head was literally hanging off, she was covered in blood and peppered beyond recognition, she had been placed upon another dead man in a sexually explicit position, the woman was later reported to be Mrs Blake. The two dead men were army officers. We quickly took up search positions and as one of our men, an Irish constable named Kearney made for the wooded area off the path a shot rang out and he died shortly after. We found nothing in the woods, which led some to believe the constable may have been shot by our side, in an accidental discharge of gunfire. Some of the men were talking angrily of revenge as the dreadful scene began to sink in, but our commander would hear nothing of this, reminding us that the real culprits would be out of the area by now. The doctor, who had accompanied us, said nothing could be done as the killers had been very thorough in their work, and after detectives photographed the crime scene, the remains of the dead were loaded onto the ambulance. The house owner Mr Bagot, had come down from the house with a surviving member of the party, she had managed to escape by chance, this lady was Mrs Gregory, the daughter in law of the famous Lady Gregory. We questioned all the witnesses, but received no useful information, this was usual by now in a country gripped by fear, where any hind of cooperation with Crown forces could get you killed on even the slightest suspicion. That day was the worst of my life, even my wartime experience had not prepared me for such an evil crime. To kill Blake (who was the target by all accounts) was one thing, but to butcher two innocent men and worst still - a woman, was a wake up call to anyone who had romantic notions about the Sein Fein cause".

Offline mt40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for taking the trouble to send me the story. It is a very sad one, especially for the family of Eliza Williams (aka Mrs Blake - we have never found a record of a marriage between her and Cecil Blake).

It is truly a gruesome description and a pity it happened so close to the time when Britain gave Ireland their independence. She and Cecil are buried in Ireland.

Sincerely,
mt40

Offline jonathanpoole

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,
Graham Poole was my grandads' oldest brother, when my gran died in 2009 we went through her stuff and found, the magazine I quoted from. I did know a bit about his time in Ireland before my gran died, but I was fascinated to read the article he had written. My nan told me the War in Ireland confused him, and blurred his perception of right and wrong, he lived in South Africa during his final years, he was very bitter and was a heavy drinker until he died in about 1985.
I guess Cecil Blake's wife was called Mrs Blake, to avoid the scandal of what must have been, quite a modern relationship back in 1921.

Offline mariefinney1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 16:05 GMT (UK) »
I am very interested in these posts as my grandmother Gladys Osman was the sister of Cecil Blake. Although I was only young when she died in 1951 I can remember her telling me that her brother had died in Ireland but none of my family were aware of the circumstances until I was contacted by Paul Blake's father in 1996. I visited Ireland with my family in 1998 and at the cemetery in Galway we were able to see the burial register where the entries were Cecil Blake and Eliza Blake. We were then able to find the graves side by side which were unmarked. We were also able, with some difficulty, to find the ruins of Ballyturin House and the entrance to the property where the shooting took place.
Cecil's mother dies in 1898 and his father Arthur John Blake remarried in 1900 to Ellen Maria Jones. They had another son Arthur Blake in 1905. Ellen dies in 1909 and Arthur John in 1912. I have been unable to find any trace of Arthur after the 1911 census. Any help would be gratefully received.