Author Topic: Walter Henry James Cook Born Saffron Walden 1881  (Read 2992 times)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Henry James Cook Born Saffron Walden 1881
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Ruth, Mabel and J.Jen that was just what I was looking for. To answer questions raised, Emily Muncer was definitely the one married to Walter Henry James Cook and her father was a William Muncer (mother Eliza.)  She was one of 10 children living in Ware but she did have an older brother called Robert Muncer. I will need to give the Emily Frances Martin connection to the family more thought.

However, with your help I've just been piecing together the ancestry Cook thread from Saffron Walden (Newport) where Walter was born. From 1901 living with wife Susan (Wright) in Great Amwell, back to his father Henry Cook a journeyman baker living in Kneesworth in Bassingbourn part of Royston in S.Cambridgeshire to his father, in the same place James Cook, a butcher, aged 39 in the 1841 census.

You gave me the breakthrough I needed, all challenging with a name like Cook.

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Henry James Cook Born Saffron Walden 1881
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 April 14 00:55 BST (UK) »
On the separate subject of the woman who married Walter Henry, I'm beginning to think this is a family error believing the maiden name of Emily Frances was Muncer. Since Emily's sister Frances seems to have married Robert, I went back over what you sent over and pay attention to Emily (Martin) Cook. I traced her birth record to the Great Amwell  and there she is living with her parents Thomas Henry Martin and Ellen, so they are all close by. This is why I think you're making a good point.

Perhaps the mistake in the family came from a Cook son born in 1913, who might have been surrounded by Muncer relatives given that the Robert who married Emily's sister was one of 10 siblings and they were all in the area.

Maybe what's odd here and confusing is that there is an Emily Frances Muncer among those 10 siblings.