Author Topic: FARQUHARSON JANE BISSET  (Read 18785 times)

Offline wee jean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FARQUHARSON JANE BISSET
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 July 14 09:38 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Sorry i got the Census from Scotlands People this Lady has nearly sent me to the poor house lol
Kind regards Jean
MCHALE THORNTON MCSHANE FLYNN MCCONNELL MULHEARN RAFFERTY MCGUIGAN O DONNELL VANCE AND THE REST OF SCOTLAND LOL

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 July 14 10:54 BST (UK) »
So how old was the mystery Isabella, and where was she born?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:01 BST (UK) »
Jean, just some questions that remain around:

What did William's Bisset's death cert say regarding his wife Jane? Did he show as married still in 1884 or a widower? Who was the informant to his death? What was his occupation at the time of his death?

William Snr. potentially we have living alone in both 1871 and 1881...then his death in 1884. Rosie posted this earlier for 1881:

William Bisset 75 born 1806 Stonehouse Kinkcardine Co ? Head
occupation shoe maker address 5,Gardeners Lane Aberdeen

There is a likely entry for 1871 here:

William Besset, 64, housekeeper, b. Stencholl, Kincardineshire and living at 34 Gallowgate Reids Ct, St Nicholas/Aberdeen.

These census entries, if correct, would let you confirm William's marital status for 1871 and 1881.

Given that we had a potential 1871 census entry for Alfred in 1871 staying at an Industrial School at Old Marchar, certainly a feeling of disruption in the family (maybe with Jane's death?).

As mentioned earlier, what line are you following? Is it from William's first or second marriage?

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 July 14 15:45 BST (UK) »

Ps can you tell me how to add people i am searching so ther people can see them

Jean, one way of doing this.

Click on your username 'wee jean' on the left hand side of your posts. This will take you into your 'Personal Profile' page.

You will see two buttons: 'Profile info' and 'Modify Profile'. If you hover over 'Modify Profile', you will see some options below. You want to click on 'Forum Profile'.

Amongst other things you can do/change on this page, you will see a box towards the bottom called 'Surname Interests'. This is free text. You can add the surnames here. This means that everytime you make a post on any topic/board, your post will show this information.

Do not forget before you exit this page to click on the red button, bottom right hand side 'Change Profile'  ::) ;)

That is it. You can make what changes you need to ongoing names and details in the same way.

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
According to the LDS CD-ROM transcription of the 1881 census, William Bisset, 75, widower, shoemaker, born Stonehaven, Kincardineshire, was living alone in Aberdeen.

Therefore Jane must have died before 1881. Which would effectively eliminate the one in West Lothian in 1911.

That 1871 transcription looks very doubtful. When was a man ever recorded as 'housekeeper'? And there is a Stenscholl, but it's in Skye if I recall correctly.

Stonehaven is in the parish of Fetteresso, Kincardineshire, which tallies with the 1861 listing above. (Is that from the original or from a transcription?)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 July 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
I think that William's place of birth in 1871 is likely a mistranscription. However, Aberdeen has unusual terms, not used elsewhere, on recording of people. For example, when a son living with mother reports her death and rather than described as son is referred to as xxx  ::) ???. Brain tired, and I can't remember - need to go and double check that one :P In any case, originals need to be checked here as the family has been tricky to find, never mind trying to figure out online (mis)transcriptions!

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 28 July 14 17:10 BST (UK) »
Aberdeen has unusual terms, not used elsewhere, on recording of people. For example, when a son living with mother reports her death and rather than described as son is referred to as xxx  ::) ???.

Inmate, or occupier, I think.

So, to summarise, we have Jane or Jean Farquharson, born 1823/4 in Strathdon or 1828/9 in "Strathan", Aberdeenshire. Married first to William Emslie, blackmsith, one son. He dies between 1849 and 1854, and in 1854 she marries William Bisset. She is alive in 1861, possibly dies before 1871, and definitely dies before 1881, but the death certificate cannot be found.

Has someone seen all the originals of the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census, to check the transcription of ages, birthplaces, children's names and William's marital status in 1871?

2 daughters named Jane Murray, 1855, and Joan Margaret F, 1857. Has someone seen the 1855 birth certificate of Jane Murray Bisset?

If not, then I suggest that those are the next steps. The most important is the original 1871 census to find out whether William was a widower by then.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 28 July 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
 ;D Thank you Forfarian for putting me out of my fuzzy memory misery  ;)

Monica

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 28 July 14 20:08 BST (UK) »
I have just came across a tree that has a death for Jane in 25 October 1861 but I can't find one on S P tried Emslie ,Farquharson and Bisset  ??? ???