Author Topic: Miners rows  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miners rows
« on: Monday 25 August 14 23:19 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the miners rows on Westwood road Newmains.when they were first built any families that lived in them (I know of some that did) and when they were demolished

Rm

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Miners rows
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 10:07 BST (UK) »
Worth looking here http://www.scottishmining.co.uk/234.html to see if they get a mention.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline Chesapek

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information...we don't know we are living these days 

Online Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 21:57 BST (UK) »
I can't help with dates etc. But, if you can find a copy of "Wishaw: Life and Labour in a Lanarkshire Community 1790 - 1914" (ISBN 090 3207990) by Robert Duncan, it may give some information. This is the only publication worth reading about Wishaw, forget all those picture-postcard books, they skim the surface, Duncan's work is unsurpassed. His "Steelopolis" The Making of Motherwell 1750 - 1939 is simply the best.
The only other thing I can offer is an old photograph of Westwood Road. The houses on the left will have been "back-to-back" dwellings, not nearly as large as they look. The others may have been the same, I'm not sure.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on the miners rows on Westwood road Newmains.when they were first built any families that lived in them (I know of some that did) and when they were demolished

Rm

They were built between 1898 and 1910 going by the OS maps of the area. I do not know who built them but I would think the pit owners at the Honky.

I think they were there well into the 1950's. I think Stewart Crescent was built behind them on the left . I moved to Newmains when I was 5 in 1962. To be honest I cant say for certain they had been demolished then but I am sure the "Steel Houses" were there and an Esso Garage at the end of the road to West Cryndledyke. Must have been late 50's early 60's There was a Co-op store on the right
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.