Author Topic: Death Registration  (Read 639 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Death Registration
« on: Sunday 05 October 14 19:00 BST (UK) »
It is from 1917 clear as a bell, Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage was the cause, however the attending physician at the hospital where she was has also printed "due day" below the cause of death which could suggest she was with child? 

If so there was no child registered being born and no death of a child reported. 

So my question is if she was with child and that child died in the womb before it was born is there still a requirement to register.   

Don

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Registration
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 October 14 19:43 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it's not "One Day"? Death certificates are supposed to show the duration of any illnesses or conditions which have caused or contributed to the death.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 October 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Due Day as clear as I type this.

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 October 14 20:32 BST (UK) »
I've just realised this thread is on the Lanarkshire board rather than one to do with difficult images, interpretation etc, so I'm guessing this is one that you've found at Scotland's People, from the statutory death registers. There's some information on that site about what you might expect to see in one of these registrations - see http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=554&628#Deaths

You'll see that the duration of illness is supposed to be included, and I'm still inclined to think this may be what is meant. This part of the register would have been completed by the registrar as a copy of what he/she thought the certifying doctor had written - and doctors aren't exactly renowned for having clear legible handwriting.

Obviously, though, I can't be certain. Presumably the woman in question was of an age to be having children?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk