Author Topic: family in glasgow  (Read 8917 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: family in glasgow
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Doddsie made a reference earlier to James "Tony" Carroll. There is this (likely what Doddsie was looking at maybe) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Carroll_%28footballer%29  Birth year showing there to let you confirm his parents' details hopefully.

Photo here? www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TONY-CARROLL-LEICESTER-CITY-1934-1937-VERY-RARE-ORIGINAL-HAND-SIGNED-CUTTING-/301062535072

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Monica,
             Yes, that was what I saw.      Maybe he came from one of the first two areas - Shelbourne or Belfast.       A player often plays for a local team when he first starts out, so there is a faint possibility he came from one of those two areas.

I was a Clyde supporter back in the late 1950's and 1960's.      They had a some really great teams in those far off days.     They won the cup in 1939, 1952 or 3 and 1958.       They always seemed to produce great wingers.      And going back, Tony Carroll must have been yet another.    They no longer play at Shawfield; they play at Cumbernauld.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi doddsie

You are a football man indeed  ;) My Dad was a Glasgow Celtic man. Followed them all around the world on his travels. His two brothers would gather newspaper cuttings and send them to him through the same period you were following your Clyde  ;D

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 October 14 07:50 BST (UK) »
         Celtic park is actually my nearest football ground, less than two miles from where I live, and I did go to a lot of home games to see Celtic when they had that amazing team in the 1960's.      I will never forget players like Jimmy Johnstone, Tommy Gemmell, and Billy McNeil etc.     ... When the team returned in triumph to Scotland in 1967 after winning the European cup, I was there, on the terraces, amidst a huge crowd.      The team got on the back of a lorry, which moved slowly right round the running track, being cheered ecstatically by the crowd.

I tried a google for Shelbourne football club, and it showed a photo of their park.       The club might have a photo of James "Tony" Carroll, plus other information.     I think clubs usually have a "historian" who takes to do with old club records.   

Offline MOFFAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 October 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
hi doddsie, i to attended games at celtic park travelling with pals from dundee from 1959 and again with my three sons michael, ryan and kris along with my old pals and their sons at the present day. i have a pic of tony carroll in his belfast celtic jersey. bobby carroll played for celtic in the 50's and 60's and thenwith dundee utd. perhaps he is a relation of tony.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 October 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
    Moffat,
                It's a small world.     Maybe you were there on the terracing next to me!     By the way, Dundee had a great team with Alan Cousin and Alan Gilzean - they won the league in the early sixties.

I vaguely remember Bobby Carroll playing for Celtic.       I also remember seeing Charlie Tully on the wing for Celtic and Bobby Evans at centre half with his ginger hair.     About James "Tony" Carroll, was he married in Ireland?    ...I tried a google for:- "Anc..try - Ireland Civil Registration Marriages 1845 - 1958"      When the blank page came up, I typed in James Anthony Carroll, and clicked "Search."      (I am guessing that James Anthony Carroll was his proper name, because he seems to be James "Tony" Carroll in at least one record ....)

When you click search, a James Anthony Carroll comes up, top of the list, with a James A Carroll immediately below it.       The problem is that I don't have the full subscription that you need to enable you to see the year of this marriage and where it was.    If one of these was his marriage, it might be progress towards finding out where he was born.       I think that if you pick someone with a middle name then you have a much better chance of finding the Carroll roots, because there seems to be an awful lot of Carrolls in Ireland.

Is there anyone reading this who has access to the Irish marriages?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 October 14 11:31 BST (UK) »
There was a roads contractor called Carroll's in Bishopbriggs, used to see the name on road-rollers etc'.

Skoosh.

Offline MOFFAT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 October 14 11:40 BST (UK) »
Cheers Skoosh, I have seen their vehicles years ago.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 21:04 BST (UK) »

Hello Moffat,

Helen Holmes, parents Edward Holmes, and Mary McGowan, were married 20/May/1864. at St Andrews RC. Church, Clyde Street, Glasgow.

However they had two children before they were married.

William Holmes, born 1/June/1860. Clyde, Glasgow,
Helen Holmes, born 20/Jan/1862. Clyde, Glasgow,
they then had,
Margaret Holmes, 13/Jan/1865. Clyde, Glasgow,
Mary Ann Holmes, 15/April/1867. Clyde, Glasgow,
Edward Holmes, 21/August/ 1870. Clyde. Glasgow. this Edward, died 1872, aged 2 years.

Edward Holmes, was born 8/August/1836. at St. Andrews RC. Glasgow, to parents Edward Holmes, and Catherine Harvey, who were married at St. Andrews RC. 20/Oct/1834.

Regards,
Jonn.