Author Topic: James, Elizabeth & Alex Alexander at Craigo, Logie Pert 1840 -1880  (Read 20866 times)

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James, Elizabeth & Alex Alexander at Craigo, Logie Pert 1840 -1880
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 06:15 BST (UK) »
Ann married James Alexander 30 Apr 1849 and she died at the North Craigo house in 1904...she was living in this North Craigo house since at least 1861.  Her daughter Elizabeth, with husband James Beattie (m. 1882), as well as her grandchildren (including my grandfather John Beattie) lived with her at the North Craigo house.  James was a Ganger = leader of a gang of railway platelayers...he broke the Beattie tradition of farm labourers/bleachers in the mills.

I took a video of the Elizabeth/James Beattie gravestone in 1987...nice to see it's still standing and legible.  I was ready to give up finding it at the time, then there it was... the very last one in the SE corner that I looked at.  Phew!

My grandfather John Beattie went to the Montrose Academy and studied carpentry in the early 1900s then he took more advanced carpentry courses at Gordon College in Aberdeen before he left for Canada.  I have a carpentry text book of his from the Academy and also a text for a similarly titled but advanced course at Gordon College.  I also have other books and many wooden tools he used in his trade.  He built about 100 houses in the Guelph area and my dad was a carpenter too.

My grandmother Maggie (Barron) Beattie was born on the Upper Ironside farm just north of New Deer.  Her father James Barron was born and raised/worked at the Slacks of Cairnbanno...not sure which farm though.  Her family moved in the late 1880s to Aberdeen for a few years where her dad was a police constable, then moved to Marykirk where her dad owned the Marykirk Hotel ~1898 to 1911.  I'm hoping to get more details from my 2nd cousin once removed, Jack Webster, who is a famous UK journalist/ writer from Maud.  Jack just finished publishing his 18th book, A Final Grain of Truth.  He lives in Glasgow now, but he's going to meet up with us at some point.  When we're in Aberdeen on Sun, Aug 3 I'm really hoping we get lucky and there's an Aberdeen FC home game we can attend in the new season.

Cheers,
Brian
Beattie, Barron, Tarves, Alexander, McPhee, Ghent, Gage, Davis

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Brian,  Both of your posts are excellent!  I knew she had outlived him by many years as I saw her on the census information but not how long exactly.  The real question is where is she buried?  I can go and look for the announcement in the local newspapers now that I have a date to work with.  It may NOT tell us where buried but I will try for it.  She may be on the Taylor Family Headstone if the "potential one" behind Logie Mains was not available for some reason.  I looked in Dunnichen Churchyard last year but nothing on the Alexander side in there.  Yes, I have been looking for her for some time so your post is a good move forward.  The other point is with her at 1 Dec 1904 there should be an official record of where she was intered.  The local news papers in Scotland will be on tape which means that it can be a slog NOT like you have in Canada where they are on-line.  Remember your "strict privacy laws" in Canada and an open forum.

I will post a "relevant bit" from Andrew Jarvise, Epitaphs & Inscriptions in North East Scotland page 209-210 Logie Montrose as I reckon you are in there on the Carnegie families.  It holds the only clue or thread that I have other than the where buried on Ann Turnbull Taylor died 1 Dec 1904.  I would say that the latter is the best one for now but it may not take us very far forward.

We have three of the John Alexander & Mary Carnegie children but there must be more but we can not find them in Scotlands People as the links to the Mothers Name are not complete on that data base --- time and effort is the reason given!

Best wishes,  nw_whiskers.

Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Dear Brian,  The Jarvise text has it as:- The old kirk and burial-ground has a secluded and romantic site upon the west side of the North Esk.  He even winds in a bit about a George Beattie poem "John o' Arnha"  I always enjoy a visit there as it is such a peaceful and scenic place in my eyes.  The picture is from late summer 2008 or 2009 as you can see the pink flowers just above the high dyke.  As you say the SE corner is where to look for the Grey granite stone.  The other ones of interest are back across the grass to the front left corner of the church to the four in line out from the end wall.  Jarvise mentions the 2nd or 3rd on right hand column of page 210.  Robert Findlay, Tolmants, husband to Margaret Reid died 1742 aged 60.  I will post the heavily carved side so that you can associate with it and understand that both sides match.  This in CONTRAST to the Alex Alexander one that stands nearby.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 April 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Brian,  James Alexander and Ann Taylor could be in the Churchyard at Marykirk just along the road from the Hotel or Ann Alexander nee Taylor could be in the new Cemetery just to the North of Marykirk.  Jarvise is an overview of many Churchyards in Scotland and may not be of interest to you but I can give you a link to it if you wish.  I have a few addictions but football is not one of them even although I am aware of Aberdeen doing well in the past year or so.  Family history (some surprise!), computer programming, gardening and a glass or two fine wine are always on the menu around here.  A visit to the local supermarket was most helpful but the library and the IGI was not exactly fruitful this morning but that is not unusual so do not despair!   The Herald years by JW was available for loan so my wife will have a go at that one.  I picked up a nice chart on the Carnegies so I will give it a scan and post it.

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Carnegie, daughter of Thomas Carnegie, 4th Esq of Craigo
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 April 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
NW, I still think there's a possibility that our Mary Carnegie is the daughter of Thomas Carnegie, 4th Esq of Craigo, especially after finding the complete Jervise writings online and looking at p 210 with the strong Carnegie connection to the Old Logie Church.  There's mention of Thomas Carnegy Esq of Craigo and his wife Mary (Gardyne) Carnegy buried there as well as their son David.  Their '2nd' daughter Elizabeth erected a monument to her parents at the church.  Mary Carnegy was born the year after David and must be the 1st daughter...perhaps she's not mentioned or buried there because she married a 'commoner' i.e. John Alexander.  I don't think it would be the 1st time this has happened.

I have wondered how James and Ann (Taylor) Alexander had a house of their own in North Craigo shortly after moving from Hillside ~1858.  Was it possibly due to a family connection with the Carnegie's, i.e. James' mother?  Then James and Elizabeth (Alexander) Beattie are buried in the Carnegy graveyard, as well as her dad's brother and family, but not her dad and grandparents John and Mary??  Have you seen any sign of Elizabeth Carnegie buried at the Old Logie Church along with her parents and brother David?  Would be odd if all of that Carnegie immediate family was buried there but not Mary.

Cheers,
Brian

I am still digesting your above post with obvious interest.  One small observation about Esq and Mrs in the OPR is that this normally applies to the VIPs of the time.  John Alexander is in the records as a Crofter/Weaver, Fettercairn (parish!) so it is just possible that Mary Carnegie came from a more modest background.  Do NOT get me wrong about this as I am VERY PROUD of how the family worked hard to get on in the world in what were hard times in Scotland.

Enjoy the picture from the Old Logie Churchyard just to the right of the door of what is now a set of walls.

Best wishes,  nw_whiskers
[/quote]

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 11 April 14 01:17 BST (UK) »
Dear Brian,  My mind is always open to the many different avenues and warms to the thought you put forward on the Carnegie connections.  It is good that you got the Jarvise stuff which gives a good overview of many churches in Scotland.  I was trying to develop what is on the four in a line logically for you as they carry interesting details.  The inscription on Robert Finday (Findlay) one goes on to read:- Also his daughter Margie who departed this life in the year 1720 aged 1 year.  The IGI (Logie Pert) says that Margaret was born 18 Jun 1719 so it does tie together.  The craftsmanship on these headstones is incredible as you will see when I post some of them.  The initials RF & MR are prominent on the artistic face as is 1746 (RF death ?).  The point about the Alex Alex stone is the initials on the sunset side are probably JR & JC and four down the sides ER, WR, RR & MR (the children?) and 1748.  There is some debate about the Js could be Is BUT is it J Rait, J Reid or many other possible ones.  Is it Jean or Janet Croal, Jean Carnegie or again many others that we can think about.  I tried to trace the Niddrie & Lakie side back last year to see if they connect but NOT as yet.  Perhaps it is the Mary Carnegie side that connects with them or even the John Alex side or a FLUKE!  How is that for the WILDEST of SPECULATION from somebody who is always looking for "the evidence" to make it bind together!
With my feet back on the ground again I have the HistoryofCarnegi02fras.pdf which may type into your search engine.  It is about 19 Mega Bytes.  I did scan pages 438, 439 & 440 and put them through an Optical Character Reader process but they would need some editing to look about right.  The search engine may be better for you in the end but you can let me know.  The Spring sun is shining in Scotland again and the weeds in the garden are needing my attention but that does not stop my mind working on this project while I do the digging. Fertile on two fronts.
Best wishes,  nw_whiskers

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 April 14 01:29 BST (UK) »
Dear Brian,  The Carnegies of Craigo makes interesting reading so it is worth the search engine route if possible.  Pages 439 and 440 in particular.

Offline bbeattie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 April 14 01:52 BST (UK) »
Confirmed from HistoryofCarnegi02fras.pdf that Mary Carnegie, 1st daughter of Thomas, 4th Esq of Craigo, married George MacPherson Grant, NOT John Alexander.  Oh well, back to the drawing board.  I have read a bit about the Carnegie's before and they certainly are an interesting family!  Thanks for the Carnegie link!

BB

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 April 14 09:00 BST (UK) »
Dear Brian,  Sorry about the Mary one but nothing ventured etc.,  We have all been there before but always pick ourselves up to fight another day.  There are plenty more Mary Carnegies to work with so do not despair. Here is the sunset side to keep you interested in the subject.  It is Spring Sunshine in Scotland  this morning so I will be digging out my weeds thinking about another step forward with James Alex & Ann Taylor.