Author Topic: Tobermory  (Read 10092 times)

Offline scottishmist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Tobermory
« on: Wednesday 10 October 12 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I am looking for a place named Portmore around or in Tobermory I have looked for a village or street with that name without any luck hoping someone will know where it is.
I got the name from a death cert
cheers Jan
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,McClean,Chrisholm
Houston:Whyte
Ayrshire:McIlwraith,McCulloch
Kirkcubright:Halliday,Blackloch

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tobermory
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
       If you try a google for:  "Portmore, Tobermory, Argyll" then a list of results come up.       Click the first on the list and it says that Portmore Place is the red building overlooking the harbour, and it shows you a photo.

Also click the third item down and it gives you some deaths for that area, and Portmore is mentioned there as well.

However, I am still not clear about why a building alone would be called Portmore Place.        You would think that Portmore Place might refer to all those houses on the waterfront.        Bit of a puzzle there.

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Scottishmisty,

Port Mor is shown on the OS 25" map of 1855-1882.

If you know Tobermory, it is the part of Tobermory Bay opposite Brown's shop, and the Clydesdale Bank.  If you aren't familiar with the area, but have access to a plan (google maps or similar) it's fairly easy to locate.  There are three piers in the town, the distillery pier at Ledaig, the original pier, and the more modern MacBrayne's pier at the north end of the bay (below the Western Isles Hotel).  If you travel from the original pier towards the modern one along Main Street, after about 100m., the road bends quite sharply to the right.  Port Mor is at the bend.  On the landward side of the road, there is a group of houses tucked in off Main Street - these may have been described as "Port Mor", based on their location.

Hopefully, the following link will take you to the spot.

Regards,

Istrice

http://maps.nls.uk/os/25inch/view/?sid=74481442#sid=74481442&zoom=5&lat=10450.76038&lon=12627.49409&layers=BT

Offline The Mc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 12 21:34 BST (UK) »
Or if you ever watch the Children's TV programme BALAMORY then that is filmed in Tobermory with lots of outdoor shots!

Offline jojo1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • nalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 12 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello all! I have found an address for my gg-grandfather,Peter MacIntyre,24 Breadalbane Street,Tobermory...Would anyone know how i could get a photo of the place he once lived? Thanks so much,Jodi(Kentucky,U.S.)
McClinton,MacIntyre,West,Cohen,Kampel,Orton,Overbey,Bareswilt,Howell,Watson

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 October 12 12:34 GMT (UK) »
A little here on Breadalbane Street - www.tobermory.co.uk/panorama/panorama_tobermory_breadalbane.htm (I got dizzy whizzing round on the virtual tour of the street!).

Not sure where No.24 would be/have been. Cottages/houses look original, but hard to say from photos how things may have changed over the years, but gives you a feeling for the street he lived in, and the general area.

Monica  :)

Added: This is a modern google map/street view link for 24 Breadalbane Street will work www.rootschat.com/links/0rz0/ Click on the photo link to convert to street view...
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 October 12 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I think the property is now an Hotel and Restaurant, www.highlandcottage.co.uk/index.asp

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jojo1973

• RootsChat Extra
  • nalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 October 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Monica,thank you so much for the links! It definently gives me a feel for where my ancestors came from and could see myself living there as well :) Now if only i could find a photo of my gg-grandfather so i can put a face to the man in the kilt in my head ;D Thanks again,much appreciated!..Jodi
McClinton,MacIntyre,West,Cohen,Kampel,Orton,Overbey,Bareswilt,Howell,Watson

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 November 12 03:52 GMT (UK) »
It's the best place in the world. Not from there but if I ever win the lottery am going there cos I love it! :D

Ann ;D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-