Author Topic: TRADESTON REGISTRY OFFICE  (Read 1574 times)

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TRADESTON REGISTRY OFFICE
« on: Wednesday 22 October 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out if the building that my greatgreat grandparents were married still exists. The wedding was in July of 1866, the certificate says Tradeston, Glasgow. Its a bit strange they were married in Glasgow as they lived in Inverness. Looks like they lived in Inverness, came to Glasgow and married then went back to Inverness. They had a few children, went back to Glasgow and had one child there then went back to Inverness and had more children. He was a Jeweller so maybe all the moving about was work related?
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Offline carolineasb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: TRADESTON REGISTRY OFFICE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Can I ask what it actually says on the Marriage Certificate?  Are you able to post a cropped version of the location part of the Certificate?

Carolineasb

PS Can I also ask if the family surname is Laurie (as per your nom de plume on here)?
Tannahill:  Ayrshire, Renfrewshire
Mulgrew/Milgrew:  Glasgow
Canning: Renfrewshire

Offline LAURIE81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Im afraid i dont have the certificate but can ask my grandmother nicely for it! The names are  Alexander and Jessie Macpherson nee Barron.
Mackinnon Macpherson Barron Macleod

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi LAURIE81

The marriage is not likely to have taken place in a registry office. They didn't exist in the way you are thinking.

Have a read through this link which gives a good overview on social history. Particular link to do with marriages www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/marriage/

...but the whole site is very readable if you are interested in social customs of that time  www.gla.ac.uk/schools/socialpolitical/research/economicsocialhistory/historymedicine/scottishwayofbirthanddeath/

As Carolineasb suggested, posting a snippet of the actual marriage cert will help to establish the type of property the marriage took place in. If your Gran can't locate it, have a look here for a download of it www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk (pay to view). These look to be main details for ref. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1F-XJX

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk