Author Topic: Confused - McQueen/Thomson Families from Argyll/Paisley - help please  (Read 12094 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: Confused - McQueen/Thomson Families from Argyll/Paisley - help please
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Absolutely, side tracks are what make life interesting!  Might have to make a visit - never seen corncrake before - apparently it's a summer visitor :).

Yes that was David 'the patient' in 71 - the man you found. F*P better transcriptions sometimes but searching painful.

Wonder where this Malcolm (with mother Ann Clark) was in 41?  From Freecen of 41 the Malcolm age 3 living Torra is too young and the one living Torra age 45 is too old. Just looked after thinking aloud!...he's at Glenegidale with Donald and Mary. Hmm everyone seems connected somehow in this story.

Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »

...he's at Glenegidale with Donald and Mary. Hmm everyone seems connected somehow in this story.

Hadn't found that one...will have a look at that now. I might end up using FreeCen to avoid mistranscriptions  ::)

Monica

PS: Problem with that entry from 1841, with wife showing as Mary...
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica, Jenny and Jonn.  :)

Wow, a LOAD more information thank you.

Monica. You are a treasure.  :-*

To comment on some of your finds etc:
That is the 1875 valuation roll which I viewed. There is a Description (in this case 'House'), Situation (Barterholm), Proprietor, Tennant (in this case David Thomson is one of 16 names, presumably others also renting houses from the Proprietor in Barterholm, Occupier and Rent paid. That is all. No occupation ...

Thank you for clarifying little Ann Thomson's death. And Ann/Agnes is sorted too, which is good.

I am glad that Margaret being christened as Peggy seems right. I did have her parents as Nancy Clark and Donald McQueen, and their possible marriage. I am glad to now have some siblings for her.

Jen, thanks for clarifying David Thomson's occupation in 1871. That ties in with Jonn's 1881 find for the family with daughter also working at the bleach works. David does seem to have had a lot of different occupations which initially made me wonder if I was following the right David.

Finding Ann Clark in 1871 is wonderful thank you Monica. I will be getting some more credits later and searching SP for her death. Very excited about that!  :)

I think I saw that 1841 census with Donald and wife as Mary. Mistake or wrong family? I will have another look. There were not very many Donald McQueens in the area but I did notice one who married a Mary Campbell in 1811, so this may possibly be them in the 1841.

I think I have all of the information I require now, unless anyone can locate Donald McQueen's death? Obviously I am hoping to find his parents. Of course Ann Clark's d/c might lead to requests for more help. ;)

Thank you again. I am off to carefully study all of these finds.  ;D

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Stuck again.  :(

Looking for a death certificate for Ann Clark McQueen.

So far I have found two deaths between 1871 and 1890 but neither look right:
- one is aged 36 District: Dunfermline Landward Fife
- the other is aged 67 District: Tulliallan Fife

I have tried variations of first name and surname but no results.

If anyone can spot her death I would be grateful.  :-\

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, Ruskie

I'm afraid that I cannot see a death for Ann McQueen either. She is not with son Malcolm in the 1881 census. He, it would appear, remarried in 1874 (5 June) in Cardross to Margaret Camer He is recorded in Cardross in the 1881 census as born Islay and a road surfaceman. Wife Margaret is 52 and children Alexander 18, Malcolm 14 and Margaret 12 are recorded.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking William. (and thanks for the additional information about Malcolm)

It is so frustrating not to be able to find her death certificate, which would give her parent's names and take me back another generation.  :'(

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 13:56 GMT (UK) »
What a pain that she is not showing. Not often that a death entry goes missing that way. Those two death entries that you have found, the ages and locations seem wrong as you say. There may be an error in her age on the index though. However, Tulliallan and Dunfermline haven't featured so far, so hard to say isn't it  :-\

I would pencil in as a guess this possible entry for Ann Clark, but as always just a guess until verified - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTJ3-9QX Would fit with the naming pattern for their children following their marriage, from what we have so far for children:

Peggy
John
Malcolm
Mary

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 14:02 GMT (UK) »
This is the other amazing site for Islay by Ted Larson (a lifetime of study). Sad to see it is now in the 'wayback machine' following his death in 2007 http://web.archive.org/web/20080405035838/http:/freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tlarson/bdm/

If you have a look at births and marriages, you can see there are not many McQueen or Clarks in the period you are looking at around the end of the 1700s and early 1800s. These databases are a great way of looking at full details of entries quickly for a surname (with additional detail not included on IGI indexes online).

Monica

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, yes I saw that christening for Ann Clark in 1797 but put it aside, but now with the name Malcolm appearing in the family then it certainly looks fairly likely.

Thank you for that link to what looks like an excellent site, which I haven't seen before. Something for the 'favourites' I think. Yes, I agree that databases can be very useful, and looking at Jack Puttenham OPRs is how I remembered that there was another Donald McQueen in Killarrow married to a Mary. (I have never heard of the Wayback Machine)

I have been continuing to search for Ann Clark McQueen's death - still nothing. I did wonder if the age given may be wrong but as you say with wrong age and (possibly) wrong area too, neither are looking too hopeful.

I even wondered if she may have remarried ....  :-\