Author Topic: irregular marriages at Lamberton toll  (Read 49628 times)

Offline 10nicks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: irregular marriages at Lamberton toll
« Reply #27 on: Monday 28 January 08 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen or anyone who has access to irregular marriages in Berwickshire.  I am looking for an irregular marriage between
David MOWATT and Barbara ROBERTSON.  The marriage would have taken place between 1808 and 1817.  David was a serjeant in the Forfar Militia and station in Berwick-upon-Tweed.  Barbara was a resident of Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Most grateful,

10 nicks

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 February 08 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi 10 nicks

Sorry, your couple is not recorded in the Marriages from the Berwick Advertiser.  Unfortunately my Lamberton Toll Marriages don't start until 1833.

Regards

Helen K

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline MCD

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 March 08 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen K or anyone,
    I am looking for any info on a John MacDougal and Margaret Denholm married irregularly by Geoege Lamb at Lamberton Toll on 30 December 1813 . Any ideas where to search ? Thanks MCD

Offline Kate NZ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 May 08 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen would it be possible to find a Smail.Smeal/ Sharp marriage
Cheers KateNZ ;D
Borders Ettrick Brydon/Bryden Smeal Tait
East Lothian King Pryde Skirvin<br />Lauder Berwick   Murdison Watson<br />Midlothian  Smail Hamilton <br />Glasgow Bryan<br />Clackmannan Todd Ramsay <br />Shetland Isles Nelson Hubbys side<br />East Sussex Fellows Hutchinson Branscombe<br />London Bowers <br />Devon Branscombe <br />Devon French Bird Dommett Hubbys side<br />Ireland Fitzgerald Bryan Burns.

Offline k3nnyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Would it be possible for you to check the irregular marriages registers for Helen Cowe and Edward David Cromwell?

Helen is showing as still living with her family in Eyemouth in the 1841 census so I would expect the marriage to be sometime after that, although they did have a son, Edward David Cromwell born around 1841.

Thanks,
Kenny
Cromwell, Crumwell - Lanarkshire, Borders, Ireland
Gauton, Ganton - Lanarkshire, Borders
Cowe - Borders
Greenaway - Lanarkshire
Underwood - Lanarkshire, Ayrshire
McFadyen - Lanarkshire

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 17 August 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hello

Would it be possible to please check for:

George WOOD and unknown FORSTER/FORESTER (Agnes, Ann or maybe Elenor? I think Agnes is probably the most likely)
Around 1806? - daughter Elizabeth (first child?) was born Oct 1807, Berwick Upon Tweed

Their children were baptised at Golden Square and Lower Meeting House Presbyterian Churches, and I couldn't find a marriage on the IGI, so I thought they might have married at Lamberton Toll House?

I've already asked on another thread, Berwick Marriage - WOOD, so sorry if you've already seen it.   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=321929.new;topicseen#new

Thank you very much for any help.  Angelfish x

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lynmarg

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 September 08 14:47 BST (UK) »
Beckey

Sorry for the delay - notifications of posts to my email addy aren't coming through.

I've not found your couples, but this later generation WAIT may interest you:

Newspaper date 9 July 1853
Place Lamberton Toll
Date 1st inst
Mr Thomas DARLING, blacksmith, of Edrom to Agnes, eldest dtr of Mr George WAIT of Cheeklaw near Dunse.

Regards

Helen K

Hi Helen K

New member so not sure how this works!

Are you able to look up John Arris who married Eleanor Tarbit at Lamberton Toll circa 1860.  Could they be listed in the Berwick Advertiser?

Lynmarg

Offline MarkEwen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 17 October 08 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm researching family history and have traced some of our ancestors back to Coldstream, living in the area circa 1800 to 1850.

Census records for 1841 show a James Ewen (aged 30) and family living in Coldstream. James Ewens job is listed as tailor.

James Ewens father, also named James and also a tailor, is shown to be married in Coldstream in 1815 to a Catherine McVity.

I've looked on the Coldstream website (www.coldstream-scotland.co.uk) and note that reference is made to a Mr McEwen (a local tailor - on the website spelt Taylor) who used to conduct marriages in Coldstream as a "priest".

I just wondered whether anyone had any additional information on Mr McEwen (first name, approx. time he lived in Coldstream etc), or knew where the reference on the website may have come from. It may be a bit of a long shot but older family members often comment that there used to be a "Mc" at the start of the Ewen and the fact he was a tailor falls in line with the family trade at the time.

I'm thinking someone may have spotted it on any "irregular" marriage records - or perhaps someone could let me know where I would be able to view such records. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Mark

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 17 October 08 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just to help for background, are these the parents of James with some grandchildren in 1851?:

James Ewen 72, flax dresser, b. Sprouston, Roxburgh
Catharine Ewen 66, b. Houndslow, Eng
James Ewen 19, grandson, b. Coldstream
Alexander Ewen 15, grandson, b. Coldstream
George Ewen 11, grandson, b. Dunfermline

Address: Boofies Brae, Dunfermiline Fife

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk