Author Topic: Mungos Walls  (Read 10299 times)

Offline colinskene

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mungos Walls
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 20:08 BST (UK) »

Many of the farms in the Borders still have the old cottages standing, whether that applies in this case i can't be sure but it wouldn't be a suprise to find something remaining from the period.

The cottages at Mungos Walls are "Old" but I'm not sure they are the ones that would have been there circa 1890.
Skene, Skeen, Virtue, Spark, Nelson, Dickson, Berwickshire, Bogend, Cairns Mill, Duns, Preston

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 23:08 BST (UK) »
Could be in one of the Borders parishes which came under the jurisdiction of the Glasgow Archdiocese.

Skoosh.

Offline redquirrel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 22:06 BST (UK) »
My sister lives in one of the farm cottages at Mungoswalls! They were originally single storey terraced cottages but were renovated and a first floor was added.

Offline LezleyR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 November 13 15:28 GMT (UK) »
A settlement of this name can be found on the maps of the National Library of Scotland, right back to the 1654 map by Blaeu. Indeed, Blaeu has a symbol that he normally used for a big(gish) house beside the name. It's not a church (they have a symbol and K) or a castle (he coloured them orange). It's not a plain farm - those I'm certain were farms back then all have an open circle.  I'm wondering whether it's one of the peel towers that were all over the Borders at that time. There's certainly a lot of them in the area. I can only see one other settlement that MIGHT have a religious association to it's name (Ladycote), most of the names seem to be personal or geographical (eg Nisbeth, Boigend, Blacater).
There's nothing in the New Statistical Account about it.
I rather suspect that a guy called Mungo built his tower/fortified house there, and the name has stuck.