Author Topic: Agnes McTier/Illegitimate children Penninghame  (Read 6451 times)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes McTier/Illegitimate children Penninghame
« on: Friday 19 July 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder if someone could explain why a mother would change the name of her children.
Agnes McTier gave birth to Alexander McTier in 1865 in Minnigaff, and then to Margaret McTier in 1869 in Newton Stewart.  Both children's birth are registered in their mothers name (McTier) and as illegitimate.
However, on the 1871 census when the 3 of them were living at Formerly Hospital in Penninghamme.  Alexander is listed as Alexander Williamson and Margaret as Margaret McBean.  Would anyone be able to give me any reasons why Agnes would register them as her name and then change the children's names on the census.  I cant  find anything that indicates their fathers.
I think by the 1881 census Agnes is living in Preston without the children.  Would there be a possibility that the children could have been fostered out?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes McTier/Illegitimate children Penninghame
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 July 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi littleliz,
I believe in the case of illegitimate births the father's name could only be recorded on the birth certificate if he agreed to be named as the father and attended the registrars to give his consent.
Of course it could be that although the children had to be registered as McTier ( father not attending!) , they were perhaps also known by their fathers' names -Williamson and McBean?? At the time of Census Agnes or the Householder at "Formerly Hospital" would give the enumerator the names they knew/called the children by. Do you know what kind of establishment "Formerly Hospital" was and what age was Agnes giving on the Census?

You think you have found Agnes on the 1881 Census in Preston - was she married by then or still using McTier?
I'm sorry I've no clue whether children were fostered during these years. Maybe some other Rootschatter could point you in the right direction with that one. I think there possibly were cases where youngsters from children's homes would be sent to rural communities to live within farming families and be an extra pair of (unpaid) hands on the farm. But as I said I'm no expert on that matter.
It could be that by 1881 Alexander who would be 15/16 years old was already out in the world on his own and working somewhere. Or could the children be with grandparents - they might be under McTier again?
All just suggestions worth considering :)

Looby  ;D

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 July 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Yes, without the father attending at registration or providing written consent, an illegitimate child had to be registered under the mother's surname. But for such a child then to known by their father's surname is not uncommon - I have several examples on my Scottish family tree.

If they are not with their mother in a census, then the most likely place for them to be is with their maternal grandparents, or an aunt or uncle. Though at that time they could also be living in as domestic or farm servants, or an apprentice, by as young as 12.

I wonder if "formerly hospital" might be some kind of alms house or poor house? I found the family in 1871 and Agnes is listed as a pauper, which means she was receiving parish poor relief. You might want to see if there are any poor relief records for that area available online.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 July 13 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
Have to agree with all JMStrachan has posted. It would make sense that the children could either be with relatives or already working, unless they had died.

Had a quick look at Familysearch and found two other births which might be of interest.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY5C-22R
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FQ5V-TCM

Firstly Thomasina McTeer born 8th Aug 1866 to an Agnes McTeer - no fathers name - at Dumfries.
Then William McTier born 5th Apr 1873 to an Agnes McTier - again no father- at Penninghame , Wigtownshire.
Not sure about Thomasina ???, might be a completely different Agnes. But Wiiliam born in Penninghame could be another child for your Agnes.
 Looby  :)

Offline littleliz02

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 September 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry it's delayed but just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me out with my illegimate query, your replies are very much appreciated. :)