Author Topic: STEWART name, Enniskillen, Fermanagh...  (Read 13913 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: STEWART name, Enniskillen, Fermanagh...
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 October 08 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Going through older posts and came across this one. By now you might have been able to find more information but if you haven't done so the following might be of interest.

Joseph Stewart born 14 June 1869 Co. Monaghan. Parents- James Stewart & Eliza Jane Armstrong.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 October 09 01:06 BST (UK) »
My great aunt (by marriage??) was Jane Stewart, from Makerry, Fermanagh/Tyrone border.  I cannot find a marriage cert for her and Timothy Kearns from Sleaty, Queens County, (now Laois) in Ireland, but they lived there for some time.  They had two children registed in Graiguecullen parish church, James born October 1894 and Timothy who was born December 1895.  They are in the 1901 census at 1 Cartburn St. East Greenock, Renfrewshire along with another son John born in 1899 in Co Fermanagh.   Timothy Junior changes his name to James Cairns and he married Annie Livingstone on 26/9/1915 in St John Church, Portugal Street, Glasgow.  Her parents are listed as Alexander and Mary (nee McNally) Livingstone.   Witnesses were Edward Murdoch and Maggie Hughes. They both gave their address as 50 Commerce Street. Glasgow.  James death cert is registered 8/6/1955 at Royal Infirmary, Portland Street Glasgow.  The death was registered by his son T. Cairns and the given address was 580 Old Shettleston Road, Glasgow.  If any of this fits in with your family line, it would be great.
Why would they have changed the spelling to Cairns, although I know the Scottish pronunciation of Kearns and Cairns is similar?  What about his brother John, did he also change his name?      I am researching from Ireland so accessing information is not always easy.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 October 09 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Using the Record Search pilot site on the familysearch.org website I found the Marriage of a Timothy Kearns in CARLOW Registration Districtin the Apr-Jun quarter of 1894. Vol 3 Page 321.
   The same information comes up for Jane Stewart. With this information you can order the marriage certificate.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 October 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million for that.  I will order it immediately. It might fill in some links in the chain

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 June 13 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I'm a bit late to this conversation but Timothy Kearns' son, James Timothy is my great grandfather.

Timothy married Annie Livingston (nee McNally) on 26/09/1913 according to the cert I have.

PM to verify other information I have.

Sharon

SCOTLAND  - Stevenson, Livingston, Cairns / Kearns, Chapman, McNally, Little (Lanarkshire)
IRELAND O'Connor, O'Regan, Frawley (Limerick), McCann, Austin, Pender (South County Dublin)

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 June 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon, it seems we are related.   I have been chasing information on Timothy Kearns in Greenock for many years.  Your great grandgfather was baptised in my home parish in Ireland.  My family home is still on the road where your gggrandfather was born and grew up. 
You have to have 3 posts to pm, so I havent been given that option to contact you.     We can't post emails on here so please repost, and I will get back to you.

Ros

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 June 13 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ros,

Isn't the internet wonderful  :D
SCOTLAND  - Stevenson, Livingston, Cairns / Kearns, Chapman, McNally, Little (Lanarkshire)
IRELAND O'Connor, O'Regan, Frawley (Limerick), McCann, Austin, Pender (South County Dublin)

Offline spstevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 June 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
and reading your other posts is certainly joining the dots...