Author Topic: "Coolback" Fermanagh  (Read 4276 times)

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"Coolback" Fermanagh
« on: Tuesday 18 March 14 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone familiar with this place, area, or street in County Fermanagh, Ireland?  This is listed as where an individual died in 1851 that could be an ancestor and finding the actual location could be relevant.

Thanks for your help!

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Coolback" Fermanagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  There are several townlands in Ireland called Coolback but none in Fermanagh. there are two in the neighbouring counties of Tyrone and Donegal but neither are particular close to the border. However there is a townland in Fermanagh called COOLBUCK. It is in Enniskillen district about 5 miles east of the town and about two miles north of Lisbellow.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline KMurray

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Enniskillen would be the one.  Is there something that it is near, another city or marker that I would know it on a map?  Thank you so much for your help.

Kathy
Armstrong / Blakeley or Bleakley of Fermanagh Ireland to Australia, Carr / Medhurst of Kent England to Australia, Armstrong / Kirk of Northumberland, England to Canada, Murray / Major of Lanark, Scotland

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 14:16 GMT (UK) »
This map will let you see the location of Coolbuck townland in relation to other areas nearby:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yik/

Depending on where the document 'Coolback' was written on was produced, (eg Scotland) and what person writing it 'thought' they heard, you could consider also Coolbeg townland, which is also in Fermanagh.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 06:07 GMT (UK) »
Enniskillen would be the one.  Is there something that it is near, another city or marker that I would know it on a map?  Thank you so much for your help.

Kathy

Hi Kathy - can you share the name of the ancestor here or in a PM? I could help you with location.

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 January 15 17:35 GMT (UK) »
As I see it there are two possibilities for your "Coolback" in Fermanagh, one near Irvinestown, and one near Lisbellaw.

1) There is a place locally known as Coolback near Irvinestown (closest GPS I can get you is 54.462610, -7.592110 - see https://goo.gl/maps/Huv1z)
If you Google "Coolback Irvinestown ancestry" you'll see lots of posts about that area and family names associated with it.

Or, as Coolback is not listed in the census in 1901 or 1911, but knowing it is in the vicinity of Irvinestown you should perhaps search for your family names of interest in the DED of Irvinestown at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

2) Below is the 1901 census index for the town-land of Coolbuck near Lisbellaw. You can see the family names from 1901 at http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Lisbellaw/Coolbuck/ (My Nethercott ancestors are living in House #5)

I hope this helps!