Author Topic: Greenbaums, England to Cincinnati  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbaums, England to Cincinnati
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Genealiza:

Just did the birth math on the following census you looked up and it seems unlikely

1870 Census:  Ohio, Hamilton, Cincinnati, ward 17
Oliver, Hester A, 34, b. WIS
           Homer P, 13, b. WIS
           Dora        10, b. WIS
           Elenora        1, b. WIS

It's documented that Esther was born 1822/23, which would make her age in 1870 47.  Also, Wisconsin is not looking good as a POB for Esther, due to this particular record being unlikely, and the fact that Esther often states she was born in England. 

Joe
Burke, Sutherland, Curtis, Cuter, Koplik

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Shellyesq:

Re your thoughts on Sarah Cole:

On the 1880 Census, there is a Sarah Cole of the right age, born in Wisconsin, and living in Cincinnati with her husband Noah, their 2 children, and Noah's mother.  Sarah's father was listed as born in Wisconsin & her mother was born in England.  Not a perfect match, but maybe.  They are living at 70 Spring St., which is nearby to where Ethel was in 1880.

By Ethel I believe you mean Esther.

Yes, you are right, in 1880 the US Census shows "Mrs Oliver, widow" with sister "Elizabeth Johnson, widow" living at 79 Spring Street, very close to  Sarah Cole in 1880, at 70 Spring Street.

It's also interesting that the doctor attending Sarah giving birth in 1874 is the same doctor attending Esther Oliver in 1876.

If we could find a wedding or death record for Sarah we might be able to determine her mother, but I've tried a bit and came up empty handed.

Joe

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the possible husband of Eliza Ann Johnson, sister of Esther Ann Oliver:

In 1887, when names of deceased husbands are first included in the WCD with listings of widows, "Ezekiel" and "Alex." (Alexander?) are the only two likely names.  It's a big stretch to link them, considering that the last confirmed listing of Eliza Ann was in the 1880 Census, and before that in the 1878 WCD.  But I'll try to search for the marriages/deaths.

Joe

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 March 12 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Genealiza:

I would love to look up the widow's pension application and other military stuff but for the life of me I can't figure out how to access the info.  Where were you looking at it?

Thanks,

Joe

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 02 March 12 21:13 GMT (UK) »
I suggest you read the information on this page, it tells how to request the pension files.

http://www.archives.gov/research/military/civil-war/civil-war-genealogy-resources/index.html#pension

Here is the link to the forms need to make such requests.

http://www.archives.gov/forms/

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 02 March 12 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Genealiza:

I've ordered the Compiled Military Service Files of Nathan B. Oliver and William A. Wentworth.  Have also ordered the Social Security card application for Albert Oliver died 1952.  I've also ordered military records from Ohio for Nathan and Wisconsin for William.

All that paper should arrive from two weeks to two months.

Also, check this out:  I did a simple google search for Nathan B. Oliver and look at what the heck I found:

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/u/r/Gary-A-Surrell-NH/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0253.html

Have emailed the guy who posted the site and can’t wait to hear from him.

Now just as this is getting so exciting and all coming together (knock on wood) I've also committed to a career training and it will be taking up all of my spare time for the next four months.  So I will not be able to devote the crazy amount of time that I have had in the last few weeks. 

Thank you Genealiza, Shellyesq, Fishweb, and Sandra.  This has been quite exciting, and  even though Esther Ann Oliver remains an enigma, I'm feeling pretty good that we are on the right path.  I could never have come this far this fast without you.  Who knows if I could have ever gotten this far without you.  How you folks spare the time and find the sources is beyond me, but you are very generous and knowledgeable and a fantastic resource for those of us not so blessed.

I will be sure to let you know what I learn from the documents as soon as I am able.

Sincerely,

Joe O.   

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 March 12 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Joe, 

I hope your purchases are fruitful.  The pension files I have of a gr grandfather state the battles and skirmishes with which he was involved, when and how he became disabled, his application for a pension and the subsequent years he had to reapply, and a listing of all of his children with their birth dates--it is quite a treasure trove of information.  Hopefully you will be as lucky with Esther's pension applications.  Please keep us informed of your progress.  And good luck with your new career.

Genealiza

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Well, today I received the civil registration of the marriage of Nathan. B. Oliver of Trenton, Wisconsin to Esther Ann Greenway, Sept. 17, 1854.  No new information unfortunately, other than the fact that the ceremony was "Religious", or "Religiou..."  Can't make out the handwriting.  Maddeningly, niether Nathan or Esther indicates their parents' names, despite the blank spaces for indicating such.  I wonder if there would be records at whatever church they were married at in Trenton?

Also received some of Nathan B. Oliver's military records, a couple of Muster Rolls, from the state of Wisconsin.  Nothing earthshaking here either, though it is interesting to see details of his death by consumption after the Battle of Shiloh.

Co. C, 6th Regt/Oliver, Nathan B./Private/Enlisted Oct. 9 '61/at Beaver Dam, WI/by Cpt. H. D. Patch/term 3/Mustered Dec. 11 '61/at Madison, WI/age 28/Married/Blue Eyes/Brown hair/light complex/6', 3/4" tall/farmer/residence Beaver Dam, WI/Dodge Cty/Term of Service: died May 31, '62 (unreadable)/Remarks:  Sick in Hosp since 7/'62.   M 6/62. 73M 6/62.   Died (?)/31/62 at Camp No 2 of disease.  Dis Do in Div Hosp Pittsburg Tenn.  Eng'd in Battle of Shiloh.  RMV20, 10198. (Not sure, numbers are hard to read)  In Cemetery at Shiloh Tenn.

Another muster repeats most of the information, except that it indicates him as single.  Most interesting are the remarks: 

"Was engaged in the Battle of Shiloh Apr 6-7/62.  Died at division Hospital Pittsburgh Tenn May 21st/62 of consumption".

The issue is still Esther.  Is this Esther MY Esther?  Doing all this digging on THIS couple, but are they THE couple:  Esther Ann, widow Nathan B. of Cincinnati?  There are connections, but there are contradictions.

Sorry, too tired and disconnected to make sense.

J

Offline Joseph L. Oliver

• RootsChat Member
  • Pie Fixes Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 April 12 05:58 BST (UK) »
Howdy gang:

Well, here is the summary of all that you all and I have researched, sifted through and compiled in trying to understand Esther Ann Oliver, nee Greenbaum/Greenway:

1854 marriage record:  Esther Ann Greenway marries Nathan B. Oliver in Trenton, WI

1860 Census (Trenton, WI):  Esther, 24yo (b. 1836) Illinois, and Nathan, 26 yo (b. 1834) New York.  Now have 3 kids:  Sarah E. (5), Homer P (3), Isabelle D. (1mo).  (Homer will be traceable with Esther until his death in 1915.)

1861 military record:  Nathan joins the 16th Regiment, Wisconsin Infantry

1862 military record:  Nathan B. Oliver dies after the Battle of Shiloh in Tennessee.

1865 military record:  Esther A. Oliver files for a widows pension re:  Nathan B. Oliver

1870 Census (Cincinnati):  Hester A. Oliver, widow,  34yo (b. 1836) Wis..  Kids Omer P. (13, b. Wis.), Dora (10 b. Wis), Elenora (1 b. Ohio). 

1880 Census (Cincinnati):  Mrs. Oliver, widow, b. Ohio.  Kids Ella (11), Albert (7), and Alice (3).

1880 Marriage record (Cincinnati):  Esther A. Oliver marries William A. Wentworth.

1886 Marriage record (Cincinnati):  Ella Oliver, daughter of Esther A. Greenbaum and Nathan B. Oliver, marries John Butler.

1890 military record:  Peter W. Oliver files for dependancy pension re:  son Nathan B. Oliver.

1896 military record:  Widow's pension re:  William A. Wentworth filed by Esther A. Wentworth, formerly widow of Nathan B. Oliver, Wisc. 16th regiment.

1899 Marriage record:  May Oliver, daughter of John Oliver and Ester Treadway (John???  Treadway???), to John B. Schaaf.

1900 Census (Cincinnati):  Esther A. Oliver, 76yo,  b. England (1823), widow Nathan B.  Living with J. B. and May Schaaf (Esther's age mysteriously advances, increasing 14 years from her age indicated in the 1860 Census)

1910 Census (Cincinnati):  Esther A. Oliver, 90yo, ( b. 1820) (her age advances yet another 4 years) widow.  Living with J. B. Schaaf and his daughter Esther, 8yo.

1915 death record (Cincinnati):  Homer Oliver.  B. Oct. 7, 1851 (I believe it actually was written (1857) Illinois.  Father:  Nathan Oliver, mother Esther Swing. (the informant of this info obviously confused Homer's mother's maiden name with his grandmother's maiden name.  See below.)

1915 death record (Cincinnati):  Esther A. Wentworth, b. Oct. 14 1822  England.  Father:  Greenway, mother Esther Swing.

I am now certain that the 1915 death record Esther and the 1854 marriage record Esther are/is? the same person.  I am totally mystified on the huge discrepancies in age show by Esther's last two Census listings and death record, when compared to her 1860 Census record, as well by the birth place discrepancy in the same records.

Nevertheless, I am also fairly certain that Esther's father's last name was Greenway/Greenbaum, and that her mother's maiden name was Esther Swing.

And of course, since Albert Ellsworth Oliver, the son of my gg Grandmother Esther Ann Oliver, was born in 1873, 12 years after Nathan B. Oliver died, I'm fairly certain that I and scores of other descendants of Albert and his siblings Ella, Alice and May have no Oliver blood in their lineage, and I have no hope of ever finding who exactly Albert and siblings were fathered by.

Thank you all for your enthusiasm, talents and hard work.  I could never have arrived at this point without you.  If you're ever in Chicago, PM me and I'd love to treat you to dinner.  You are welcome to pursue any loose ends if you wish, and I'd appreciate it, but as far as I'm concerned, this thread is completed.  Yahoo!

Sincerely,

Joe O