Author Topic: West Kilbride - Christina Wilson and Hugh Hunter  (Read 16047 times)

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
West Kilbride - Christina Wilson and Hugh Hunter
« on: Monday 26 November 12 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Found this site by chance.  I'm pretty new to researching my family tree but the surnames of Hunter and Wilson from West Kilbride feature heavily in the papers I have found so far.  Great grand parents Christina Wilson (father David Wilson and Margaret Harvey Law (Wilson) Hugh Hunter (father Thomas Hunter and mother Mary Kean (Hunter).  There is a Quintin Wilson with the same parents as Christina Wilson.  David Wilson's parents were William Wilson and Janet Richmond (Wilson) both married in West Kilbride. Janet Richmond (Wilson) mother was Agnes Craig and father Thomas Richmond.  Interestingly William Wilson's father was William Wilson and Agnes Craig Wilson.  I'm wondering how this can be other than some form of change in relationship.  William Wilson's father was Quentin Wilson and his mother was Hannah McGee.

Can anyone help with the siblings of Christina Wilson and Hugh Hunter?  There is some thought she was orphaned around the age 9 and siblings killed in a house fire but can find no evidence of this?

Also interested in the Barbour, Craig, Law, Stalker, Hunter, Wilson, Kean and Richmond families in West Kilbride 1740 - 1900.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: West Kilbride - Christina Wilson and Hugh Hunter
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 12 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loquitur

I am going to add the link to your other similar post on the Lanarkshire board so that do not duplicate on searches and information.

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,440610.msg4734950.html#msg4734950

Normally best to just add just one post for any particular request although I can see why you have also added this post info on the Lanarkshire board in this case.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »

Hello Loquitur,

Here is a 1881 census of David Wilson, and his wife Margaret Harvey Law.

161 Stirling Road, Glasgow, Lanark.

David Wilson, Head, Journeyman Joiner, M. age 30 years, M. born West Kilbride, Ayr,
Margaret Wilson, Wife, M. age 27 years, F. born West Kilbride, Ayr,
William Wilson, Son Scholar, age 6 years, M. born Glasgow, Lanark,
David Wilson, son age 3 years, born Glasgow, Lanark,
Alexander Wilson, Son age 2 years, born Glasgow, Lanark,
Thomas Wilson, Son, age 4 Months, born Glasgow, Lanark.

Only birth of the sons is William Wilson, born 02/July/1874. High Church, Glasgow, to parents David Wilson, and Margaret Harvey Law.

Did you also know that Thomas Hunter, and Mary Kean's, parents were born in Ireland.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John, extremely helpful.

I find lts all quite confusing.  I have David Wilson's death certificate from what you told me.  Died 56yrs father william wilson and mother jane or janet wilson maiden name richmond.  Wiliam was a molecatcher. David wilson died of cardiac weakness and odema of the lower limbs.
Born 11 February 1851 West kilbride
Married 31 December 1873 West Kilbride
Died 19 July 1908 West Kilbride

His daughter Christina Wilson was born 1895 in West Kilbride married 1913 In West Kilbride after her father's death.  At the time of her marriage her usual residence was Dalry.

I wonder what happened prior to her marriage.

Can the 1881 and 1891 census be compared?

I can't find a death certificate for Margaret Harvey Wilson unless she remarried.

Thomas Hunter and Mary Kean appear to have married in West Kilbride 23.11.88 with parents Thomas and Martha Hunter.

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 12 23:01 GMT (UK) »

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 09:23 GMT (UK) »
From the 1881 census that Jonn posted earlier, this looks to be the family in 1891:

David Wilson 40, fireman joiner
Margaret Wilson 37
William Wilson 16
Robert Wilson 15
David Wilson 13
Alexander Wilson 12
Thomas Wilson 10
Catherine Wilson 8
Janet Wilson 6
Margaret Wilson 3
Agnes Wilson 3 Months

Address: 214 Garngad Rd, Dennistoun Glasgow

I assume you have the 1901 census, after the birth of Christina, with the family living back in Ayrshire?

What did Christina's marriage cert say regarding her mother, Margaret Law? Was she still showing as alive then in 1913?

Regarding the years before Christina got married, have you searched for the family's 1911 census entry?

Monica  :)

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 10:06 GMT (UK) »

Hello Loquitur,

Thomas Hunter's, parents were in fact Thomas Hunter, and Martha Mcinnie, both Irish, the name Mcinnie on the birth of their children in West Kilbride, comes up with lots of variations.

Martha Hunter Mcinnie, died 1876, aged 48 years, in West Kilbride.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline Loquitur

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »
John/Monica - Thanks.

Christina Wilson's birth certificate shows she was born 30.11.1895 at West Kilbride; her marriage certificate shows she married 6.10.1913 at West Kilbride. Her death certificate cant be viewed as yet on SP but was around 1972.  The birth and marriage certificates show David Wilson journeyman joiner as her father and Margaret Harvey law.

On the marriage certificate at 1913 its shows she was usually resident in Dalry.

I can not find her on the census records.

I cant find the family having moved to Glasgow in 1901 and I cant see a Christina Wilson listed on the 1901 census information.  her father David died on 19 July 1908 at West Kilbride so he wouldnt be on the 1911 census for Glasgow or West Kilbride.  David wilson's birth certificate shows he was born 11 Feb 1851 at West Kilbride with parents William Wilson and Janet Richmond at West Kilbride.  Christina Wilson's mother Margaret Harvey Law (Wilson) - I havent been able to trace a death certificate and the only SP death certificates with the same name introduces Mitchell which doesnt seem right.  Margaret Harvey Law's marriage certificate shows her parents are Robert law and Catharine Law at West Kilbride.  Robert law and Catharine Law married on 18 May 1846.  I cant trace them beyond that.

On the Hunter side of the marriage his birth certificate shows Hugh Hunter was born July 1889 at West Kilbride to parents Thomas Hunter and Mary Kean and is consistent with the marriage certificate.  His parents Thomas Hunter appears to have been born on 29 september 1867 at West Kilbride and his wife wife mary kean I have no information.  Mary kean and Thomas Hunter were married in November 1888 year before his birth.  Thomas Hunter's parents are listed on as Thomas Hunter and Martha Hunter.  Mary Kean's parents are listed on the marriage certificate as John Kean and Mary reynolds at West Kilbride (assumed living there).  I have no information on John Kean. Mary Reynolds could have parents James and Jean barbour; James barbour being related to Ephraim and Mary Barbour.

Thats as far as I have got.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 12:08 GMT (UK) »
This is the Wilson family in the next census, from 1901, with everything found so far:

David Wilson 50, joiner
Margaret Wilson 47
Alexander Wilson 22
Janet Wilson 16
Margaret Wilson 13
Agnes Wilson 10
Christina Wilson 6

Address: Main Street, West Kilbride

Monica