Author Topic: Michael Walsh/Welsh/Walshe  (Read 5162 times)

Offline standing1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Walsh/Welsh/Walshe
« on: Monday 09 July 12 06:56 BST (UK) »
I apologize if this is the same boring request I may have made many times over the last few years :-[ but I am still trying to trace the family of my great great grandfather Michael Walsh born circa 1825 Danesfort Kilkenny. On his death certificate his parents were Michael Walsh and Ellen Carroll. Michael enlisted in the 11th foot Devonshire and Dorset regiment when they were in Kilkenny 24.2.1844  embarked to Australia on the Mount Stewart Elphinstone where he deserted 7.10.1848  when it was stated he was 21years 8 months, birth making birth circa 1826 (but it appears he may have fibbed about his age as he was 48 in1877 making birth circa 1829) I thought having parents names may have helped but I am no further advanced with my research after almost 20 years of searching :'( so anybody who may be able to help me trace this elusive family I would be very grateful.
Thank you in anticipation Trish :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Walsh/Welsh/Walshe
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 July 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
There is a close, but not perfect match for Michael's baptism on the free index on the pay-website at RootsIreland  A baptism of a Michael Walsh in Danesfort RC parish in 1825. . Mother's name matches Ellen Carroll but father's name though seems to be John...

There's a note on the NLI Index that the pages are bound out of order in the Danesfort RC registers, and also that many pages are missing.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline standing1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane this is my second try at sending you a thank you ??? Thank you so much perhaps after all these years I may finally have a breakthrough. I am not fazed by the fathers name John. Michael and his wife Judith Mulvihill ( born in Galway) named their second son John and first Michael ( wouldn't you know it I can't find Judiths parents either although it does mention Michael on her Death Certificate.
Can I push my luck and ask if you think there might be another site I can now persue this information? :-[
You are wonderful, :) Thank you again Kind Regards from down under Trish

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 05:03 BST (UK) »
The following 2 baptismal records exist (note, there are no dates of birth).

(1) 29th August 1819, Danesfort Parish, Co. Kilkenny:

Michael Welsh, son of Jo. (transcribed as Joseph, but could easily be John) and Ellin Carrol, at Kellsgrange. The informants were Owen Callahan and Mary Naddy.

(2) 21st August 1825, Danesfort Parish, Co. Kilkenny:

Michael Welsh, son of John Welsh and Ellin Carrol, at Glaunta. The informants were Henry Brenan and Margrt Britt.

BTW, Kellsgrange and Glaunta are in the same area. The natural speculation would be that Michael (1) died.

Offline standing1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 06:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, thank you so much ;D for your help with my ancestor Michael Walsh(now Welsh, some of his children were born Welsh/Welch) It does appear that many families named their children the same again if one died. It might also mean John's father or Ellens father was named Michael so they would want the name to continue on?   :-\ I am wondering if there is an area I can see if there are siblings to same parents, or if I could find a marriage, I realize it was such an uncertain and unpleasant time in Irish History with the famine when Michael enlisted in the 11h foot Nth Devonshire regiment in 1844 and many family members may have died.
Michael and Judith nee Mulvihill named their children Annie Elizabeth ( I think after Judiths mother) Michael Joseph,John,Ellen, Patrick,James,Mary Ann,Margaret.
By the time Michael died age 48 in 1877 ( I have to think his son as informant didn't know his correct age), his family had added the E to Walshe.
Please accept my grateful thanks, perhaps I can research the areas mentioned Kellsgrange and Glauntha, as most people always hopeful there is still someone there still connected to me.  :)
 Kind Regards from down under Trish ;D

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 July 12 09:23 BST (UK) »
The details we found were on the pay-website at www.rootsireland.ie  They seem to have transcripts of the RC records for Danefort parish back to about 1819, so you may be able to locate some siblings, but the marriage for John and Ellen could have taken place before the records start...

If you are focusing on records for Co. Kilkenny then it's best to start in the section for that county, as you can then search by parish - see : http://kilkenny.rootsireland.ie/

I tried a quick search by parents names, and only see the two matches that gaffy already mentioned.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline standing1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 July 12 09:55 BST (UK) »
thanks Shane, :) i will try your suggestion, Irish records are not easy are they?  I once correstponded with a lovely lady who was a Carroll in Ireland and she was connected to Walshes but I couldn't make a connection to  mine, how amazing would that have been. I have found Genealogy is made up of coincidences.
Thanks again Kind Regards from down under Trish ;D

Offline news4kaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 June 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know if this is of any help, but I have a Baptism record for a James Reddy on Rathclough, Danesfort parish for 1843, and one of the sponsors was an Ellen Welsh.  :-\
McKenna, Fallon, Darcey, Reddy, Luxford, Real, McLellan, Wood, Fisher, Knight, Venn, Webster, Lindsay, Denham, Springall, Walpole

Offline standing1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 June 14 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi thank you for info but I am not sure if I can connect it to my Ellen, I have been told there are an awful lot of Walsh's and Ellen sadly was a common name, it would have been great though.
Thank you Trish :) I almost feel I won't be able to go any further with my Walsh ancestors hate giving up but it would take a miracle  :-[