Author Topic: Parents Of Michael John ROURKE  (Read 5100 times)

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents Of Michael John ROURKE
« on: Saturday 12 July 14 02:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for the parents of Michael John ROURKE.
We have really good documentation for this man, he kept every reference ever given him.
Born 29 Sep 1833 on St Michaels day in the Parish of St Marys Kilkenny. (From his diary.)
1857 a Corporal in the Royal Irish Fusiliers in India, Drill Instructor. Under Leut F.F. Deveraux.
28 Mar 1861 on ship Bosphorus, member of 10 company for 5 years. reference from Capt J. R. Todd.
28 Dec 1861 Marriage to Mary Ann KILDAY. St Marys Capetown From Marriage extract. Very little other information. Scant information about Mary from any source either.
1862 Still with regiment, shopping list in his diary for quantities of alcohol for the Captains Ball.
1863 Police Sergeant.
1863 to 1867 messenger at the Post office.
1867 Major in the Cape Volunteer Rifles.
Jul 1875 Death at Capetown South Africa.

For a man with his life so well documented you would think it easy to find his parents, but we just can't get there. Any help appreciated. We are in Australia so its not possible for us to visit the records office.
Scott Richards Collas Williams

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Parents Of Michael John ROURKE
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 21:06 GMT (UK) »
We have some documents back from Western Cape Archives in South Africa which clarifies things a little
Michael John ROURKE death cert. states his father is Michael ROURKE, he was born in Kilkenny.
He died on 10 July 1874 at 41 years old, he was a Canteen Keeper. (possibly the canteen of the Cape Mounted Rifles as it seems from the Estate files he owned or leased land within the compound)

Another matter which may appear in English or Irish newspapers is that on 8 Oct 1867 while he was a messenger with the Cape Town Post Office, he assaulted two men from the Post Office and fired a gun. At the trial on the 2 November 1867 He was found guilty of the assault on John Crichton Bell but was acquitted of all other charges. The sentence is recorded on the next page which wasn't sent to us.

His wife Mary Ann Kildea, was born in Kilkenny, father John Kildea (written on the cert as Kilded, though recorded other places as Kilday,Kildae, ) Her mother was Ann Cleary.
Mary Ann remarried after the death of Michael John Rourke to Michael Heron and died in Melbourne Australia 1 Sep 1912.

So still seeking Michael John Rourkes mother and any siblings.
Any further information about the trial.
Any further clues about John Kildae and Ann

Rusted

Offline Maureen Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 July 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi. Michael Rorke/Rourke married Mary anne Kildare. Served in India Crimea..and more. Father of my grand father. John Edward O'Rourke who moved to Carlton. Vic Australia. John married Brierty from Gaffneys Creek. Formally of County Louth Eire. Have sibling list for John somewhere will look for which I think refers to a connection between Kildare/Millis/Fitzgerald.
I am in Australia but am planning trip to Capetown and Pretoria where there O Rourke connections. One of the O'Rourke siblings was reportedly killed as civilian at Mafeking.  To the Bendigo researcher . Think we have family in common . Stumbled across all this . Am in Gippsland.
Usually speediest if by email but not sure of protocol here.  Berwicks have detail. Nb. Would love further knowledge of O'Rourke in Eire. Thank you.

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
Its forbidden to post email addresses on the forum as it attracts spammers so we need to initially use PMs. Before we can use the personal message service you need to have made three posts, so if you make a couple of quick replies, here or on other threads then I can PM you with our Email.
This is my wifes line of enquiry as she is a Rourke, but I am very interested too so we both will be happy to see what you have.
Lynda has lots of original paperwork of your great grandfather (her great great) in South Africa and we have scoured the Capetown archives and have everything they have too, she would be happy to share, we are still hunting that elusive link back to Kilkenny for him and Mary Kilday.
She is wanting to head to Cape town too. But...
She is heading to Lilydale this weekend, would be good to catch up somehow. :)

Lynda and Paul

Offline Maureen Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 July 15 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynda Paul,

Yes to catch up. I will need a few weeks to find which box everything is in!.

I meant to say also S.A. trip will be end of year.

:)

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 July 15 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Maureen
You need one more reply and we can use the personal message service here and swap Email addresses.
Lynda is excited to have made contact with another branch of the Rourke tree, its been very very tiny advances over quite a while in understanding what they all were doing, not really helped by a few fanciful family legends. Funny thing is I find it fascinating myself and go back to it frequently, the information we have is so frustratingly close to giving us a lead but never quite gets there.

Paul

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 July 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
wonder could find anything on John Crichton Bell here
https://www.facebook.com/BellFamilySouthAfrica

Offline Maureen Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 March 16 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynda and Paul.

Any further information on Michael O'Rourke?/Rourke.  And yes it has been a long time between posts!

Offline rusted

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 16 02:45 BST (UK) »
Sent personal msg... Cheers Lynda nee ROURKE