Author Topic: Johnson family of Crosby Ravensworth/Shap/Hilton  (Read 16307 times)

Online Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson family of Crosby Ravensworth/Shap/Hilton
« Reply #18 on: Monday 29 July 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Westmorland,

Both Ralph Johnsons from Hilton & Dufton are in my tree. In Dufton Eleanor Johnson widow the head of the family was married to another Ralph Johnson. This Ralph is the one in the 1777 Dufton window tax. I believe his father was John Johnson. That's as far back as I get.

The death of Thomas is still a mystery. I'll look into the death you have found, thanks.

Regards,

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 July 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
Greetings Gigi
Looking for John Johnson gives these possibles
1724 father of Ralph
1787 father of Thomas John deceased
1787 Eleanor is a widow in the constables census
1785 John Johnson is involved in the quarter sestions WQ/SR/470/22 this was found in the national archives but the record is at Kendal
There is also a will for John Johnson 1774 these can be found at Carlisle

John Johnson as a name goes back to 1576
regards

Online Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 August 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes the 1724 baptism for Ralph, father John, in St Michael's Appleby is the strongest match I think.

There's a burial for a John of Hilton in 1763 St Michael's Appleby. Could be him.

Where does the John with a will date 1774 come from?

Do you have lists of Westmorland wills?

Thanks

Gillian

Offline Westmoreland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 August 13 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi G
John with the will 1774
Carlisle Record Office his will is in there
regards

Offline vmb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I am really new to this game - I have just found this website and also LostCousins where I could see that Gillian and I have rellies in common.  Now I have read the three pages in this thread, I think we are related! Yay!
This research is not mine but my great grand father's - it was his passion until he died in 1972.

His grand father was Richard Johnson (b. Crosby Ravensworth 1822), married to Jane Eliza Taylor (b. Whitchurch 1835).  He was a school teacher and Head Master.
His father, also Richard Johnson, wrote the names of 7 children in the family bible (which was owned by my ggf, although I don't know where it is now).  These names very nearly match up with those given earlier in the thread: Mary, Thomas, John, Richard, Sarah, Ralph and William (with their full dates of birth).  Old Rd. drew his and his wife's initials in the bible, RJ & EJ.  My ggf wrote in his research book: "The RJ & EJ refer to Richard and Elizabeth Johnson, parents of the seven children given.  Why did not he (old Rd) give their full names, wife's maiden name (I believe it was Farrar - hence Frederick Farrar for mother's brother) place and date of marriage?"

He adds some information about Richard (b. 1822) and his brother William (b. 1832) including their time at Chester Teacher Training College and personal comments about William as he met him!  His information matches up with information earlier in the thread regarding the names of his 2 wives.  I have newspaper cuttings, including William's obituary.

It would be great to hear from you.
Victoria
Merry Christmas

Online Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 December 13 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Victoria,

Thanks for your very interesting message & welcome to Rootschat!!

Yes we are indeed related!

I have come on quite a bit in my Johnson research since I first posted about the Johnsons. I have a detailed family tree going back further than Richard Johnson & Elizabeth Farrer. I am also in contact with other descendants, mainly from my side ie descended from Thomas Johnson eldest son of Richard, but also descendants of William the youngest son of Richard & George brother of Richard.

My mother talks of the Johnsons of Balne. I think that they visited each other fairly often. Frederick Farrar lived in Crosby Ravensworth for a while were the Johnsons came from. He is buried there I think. My mother's Great Aunt Hannah used to travel about a bit and often went to Balne. She was very close to her cousin Elizabeth Johnson who became Elizabeth Goulden.

Interesting to hear that there is a family bible somewhere. I have never heard of this before. It would be interesting to try and find out who has it! What were the children's names written in the bible by Richard senior? I have never been able to find out much more than a baptism for the daughter Sarah. I would love to have their dates of birth.

I will send you a personnel message with my email address so that we can exchange documents & info.

Best regards & season's greetings!

Gillian