Author Topic: Are any of these family names yours ?  (Read 32941 times)

Offline lindajae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Are any of these family names yours ?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 08:23 BST (UK) »
I'm from the BRIGHTS in Needingworth.  What is your connection?  Your website is down so I couldnt see your tree.
LJ

Offline vivienm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Gillg

I am new to this roots chat. but have just found a conversation you had with Maureen about Rhoda Church. I have a Rhoda Church born 1829 sister to Elizabeth born 1834 ( my g/mother) you said you had a photo of Rhoda which I would very much like to see. If I can get this to work, I have other information of the family.
Vivien

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Gillg, I have Elizabeth Burton b 1794 Stanground, Peterborough , the daughter of John Burton and Mary (Cowham?). She is the sister of my 2X great grandfather, Joseph Burton. Is this the connection?I have no knowledge of her marriage if any.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Vivien

My Rhoda was born 1829 and her sister Elizabeth 1834, daughters of Richard Church and Hannah nee Manning.  I believe Elizabeth married James Haynes in Easton 16.11.1855 and died in Leigh on Sea, Essex in 1925 age 91.  Looks like a match to me. 

I was recently in Hunts and saw Rhoda's grave in Spaldwick churchyard.  I can send you a photo of this, also the portrait of Rhoda and her son William, if you let me have your email address via a Private Message.  Unfortunately you can only send a Private Message after you have made 3 postings, so perhaps you can reply a couple of times, then we can proceed. :)

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 28 October 09 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Redroger

Sorry, my Elizabeth Burton was born 1819.  She married John Church, older brother of Rhoda and Elizabeth mentioned above.

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline vivienm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 October 09 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Gillg
Thanks for your reply. Elizabeth did marry James Haynes 1855 they had 13 children my grandfather Manning being the 6th child born 1864 he moved to Essex as did quite a few of his  brothers and sisters the name Manning was to carry on the mothers surname.
Vivien

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 October 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for response Gillg, clearly not mine then.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 October 09 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Vivien

Did you know that Hannah Manning's father, John Manning (1760-1886) was the Baptist minister in Spaldwick?  I believe he was buried in the Baptist graveyard there, but the church has now been converted into a private house and I don't know what happened to the graves! Other grandchildren of John were also given Manning as a first name.  I have more information about the Manning and Church families, if you are interested. 

As I said earlier in this thread, my interest in the family is tenuous - Rhoda and Mercy, sisters of your Elizabeth, married older brothers of my Fairey ancestor.  Not so long ago I met up with the direct descendent of the only child of Rhoda and her first husband, Joseph Fairey.  Like Rhoda, Mercy was also widowed early, and moved with her children to Burnley, Lancs, and was followed there by her widowed sister-in-law, my gt-grandmother, Annie Fairey (nee Church, but not related!) and children, and the two families were quite close. 

One more posting and you should be able to send me a PM with your email address for the photos. 

Regards

Gillg

Offline vivienm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 30 October 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Gillg
I did know John Manning was a minister ,my grandfather Manning was also a baptist minister at Grays. I visited Spaldwick a couple of years ago and took photos of three ways and church i did look through graveyard of church but not the baptist church didn't realize it was now private.
vivien