Author Topic: Families from Killaney/Boardmills Parishes  (Read 8099 times)

Offline ColTree

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Families from Killaney/Boardmills Parishes
« on: Saturday 01 October 11 01:40 BST (UK) »
Am interested in others who might be researching families from those Parishes.  My interests are in:-
Samuel EDGAR m. Jane HARPER, John WILSON m. Franches (Fanny) McKNIGHT and James MAXWELL m. Martha REID.  I am related to these families through: Jane EDGAR & Thomas Mcknight WILSON and John MAXWELL and Lizzie WILSON.  I think I have viewed all the IGI records relating to these families but am unable locate any other records.  I understand that the Presbyterian Church records for the Parishes are only available from Proni and can only be released if permission is given by the Church.  Could someone suggest what other means I can use in obtaining further information, please.  Oh, by the way, I have looked at all the information available on Ros Davies Surname website. Thanks.
ColTree

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Families from Killaney/Boardmills Parishes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 October 11 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Looking at the births of children for the first marriage you mentioned I think that it is doubtful that Presbyterian Church records would exist for such an early date (1809)

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 October 11 09:51 BST (UK) »
I understand that the Presbyterian Church records for the Parishes are only available from Proni and can only be released if permission is given by the Church.  Could someone suggest what other means I can use in obtaining further information, please.

Just to clear up this point- PRONI has microfilmed copies of many church records which may be viewed on site (Belfast). Written permission from the church is only needed if you want photocopies of a copy of the microfilm reel. You haven't mentioned a location but if you can't get to Belfast you can contact them at www.proni.gov.uk to see about getting informantion.

Presbyterian churches are arranged in Presbyteries (unlike Church of Ireland and Catholic ones which do have a parish system) and a family doesn't always go to the nearest Presbyterian church, indeed there may be several Presbyterian churches in the same area.

PRONI has records for the following- dates not listed:
First Boardmills Presbyterian Church
Second Boardmills and Killaney
http://www.presbyterianireland.org/about/records.html#b

Boardmills churches have had a bit of change of the years. Briefly, 1st Boardmills founded c1749 (called mainly Killaney until 1815). 1811 there was a split owing to the Regium Donum controversy and 2nd Boardmills was formed. In 1924 2nd Boardmills was united with Killaney Secession Church and became known as 2nd Boardmills & Killaney. Then, in 1974, the congregations united to become First and Second and Killaney.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ColTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 October 11 03:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 2 responses to my request.  I will contact Proni to see what information I can obtain from them and I will also look at the Presbyterian Ireland website for whatever information they may be able to give, also.
Regards.

Offline stonehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 October 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am not connected to your Edgars- but quite well acquainted with them.
I was, to some extent brought up with them-
to explain- I was bought up in Killaney. There is a graveyard  on our land with Edgar graves in it and nearby an old ruined house which I knew some Edgars had lived in in the 19th century. (later lived in by my fathers great aunt-abandoned in 1950s)
Literally last week, I happened to meet a group of Edgars visiting the graveyard and that set me off trying to see if I could tie the Edgar graves more conclusively to the old house.
I knew that someone called Ann Edgar had lived in the old house- looking at the will calendar on the PRONI website I found wills showing Jane Edgar had lived in the house with three unmarried daughters- Eliza, Margaret and Ann.
Jane (mother) is named on one of the gravestones- dying  age 88 in 1872 - her husband Samuel is there- having died in 1828 - and their two sons- Robert and David . Ann, Eliza and Margaret are not named but I'm sure they are there too.
There seem to be two daus who married- Jane-whom you name and Ellen who married a man called Orr Bennett an lived locally.  All this is gleaned  from wills, which you may well be aware of. I also found Janes marriage to Thos Mcknight Wilson and all her children on the Ros Davies site.
Again searching the PRONI site to try to find the generation before Samuel the names Robert and Samuel turn up with little detail attached- but the dates back into the 18th century fit the conjecture that Samuels father was called Robert and his father in turn was Samuel- but thats purely a guess.
I intend to go to PRONI t see if the Downshire rent books tell anything more definite about who and how long with regard to the house.
 Basically it was the typical small farm of 12/15 acres and the wills refer to stock and crops- so the ladies farmed- and no doubt did much of the work themselves.
House itself was a  two storied cottage with a single story extension. No well- guess water was carried from our house down the hill. House just off to of hill and facing s/e  across lakes and open country.
Prob. more bits and pieces to tell but not sure if I am telling you anything you don't already know - let me know if this is of any use or interest- and if you can tell me anything more definite about pre- Samuel I would be glad to know it.
Regards
H

Offline ColTree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 11 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Stonehill.
Thank you very much for the information that you have supplied, some of which I knew but, some that is completely new to me.  I was in the Killaney/Boardmills area many years ago so I am familiar, to a point, with it.  Would you mind telling me where your land is and the name, if any, of the graveyard on it.  Is there a possibility that you could send a photo of the old ruined house?  Do you know who the EDGARS that visited the grave were?  I haven't seen any of the "Wills" you mention and would be very keen to find out from you where I can view them.  With regard to the information on the Ros Davies site, that was put there by another descendant from the WILSON family, who I am in touch with here in Australia.  I do have photos of 2 garveyards from the Boardmills 1st & 2nd Churches so I will go back and see if they relate to what you have told me.  I will be very appreciative if you can supply any additional information.  I will pass on what you have given me so far to those of us here in Australia and I am sure that they will be just as excited as I am with the prospect if more to come.  Hoping to hear from you later.
Peter

Offline stonehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
 Hello Peter
Glad this is of some use. I will try to send a photo of the old house and the gravestone  later.
 Re wills- look up Public Record Office NI - click on 'search the archives'- click on 'wills callendar'- enter name Edgar and it will pull p about 135 (I think) wills- look for Killaney as the townland name- you should find Jane, Eliza and Margarets wills - as well as others such as the cousin John who is often a witness or executor.
 Likewise search Bennet for Ellens husbnds will.
Graveyard is small hilltop one called Killaney - adjacent to Bow Lough - access off Lough Rd- Boardmills- you should be able to find it on Google earth - the ruined house is just across the fields.
Gravestone reads:
Underneath lie the remains of Samuel Edgar of Killaney
Born 1779 obt.31March 1828
also of his sons
Robert born Sept 10th 1815 obt.March 22nd 1836
and James who was minister of Scots Church Lower Gloucester St Dublin for a
period of eight years
born 14 Jany 1826 obt 28 March 1863
this monument is erected by the young members of his flock and a few friends
also Jane wife of the above named Samuel Edgar
who died 7th June 1772
aged 88 years
The Edgars I met were mostly from America but the man who is knowledgeable is from England-(*)
I will try messing about with photos later
Regards
H

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 October 11 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   In the PRONI wills if you enter the name you are looking for and then where it states "FULL ABSTRACT" enter Killaney it should show only the wills you are looking for.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline stonehill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 October 11 17:21 BST (UK) »
 Yes indeed- and that certainly makes more sense for those who dont know the  names of adjacent townlands- I tend to skim the lot and then open anything in the general area- see if same names as witnesses or executors turn up - that sort of thing-  Ive learnt more about who got the cows or dident get the clock in the past few days than I'd have thought possible.
H