Author Topic: Cunningham family of Ballymageogh, Kilkeel, Down, Ire.  (Read 5203 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cunningham family of Ballymageogh, Kilkeel, Down, Ire.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
It sometimes takes a year or two for changes to be recording in the books so doesn't really pinpoint Henry's death.

Early naturalization paperwork, such as the dates here, often don't give name of ship and other exact details that you see for maybe 100 onwards.

Some U.S. census will list date of entry to U.S. (not always 100% accurate) but marriages & age of children can help narrow down date a bit. Possible ports in U.K. are Belfast, Glasgow & Liverpool with those on the other side N.Y., Boston or via Canada.

Daughter Susan Heffron died 1915 Dover, N.H. and certificate says lived there 35 years with previous residence Ireland- most likely port of entry in Boston. Do you have her marriage?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FSJG-7V5
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline John Grimes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cunningham family of Ballymageogh, Kilkeel, Down, Ire.
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 February 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have a lot about Susy, even her initial stay in Dover, NH, lodging at her sister's house (my great grandmother). Her marriage cert says she is 35, but in reality she was about 39; they never had children, probably because of her age. However, this marriage is really interesting because in the 1900 and 1910 US census there are two ''boarders'' at the house, a John H Cunningham and a Mary B (sometimes J) Cunningham, Susy's nephew and niece, both born in Pennsylvania. They stay around Dover till just after the 1910 census and then I lose them. I think they are the son and daughter of Henry Cunningham (jr), Susy's brother; he was a twin to James Cunningham who lived Dover, NH with Susy (and Margaret, and their brother John). Unless I can some day get my hands on that Declaration of Intent for James, I will never know where they landed or when. All I can see is their arrival in Dover not long after Margaret Cunningham married my g-grandfather Patrick.
JG