Author Topic: Elizabeth JOHNSTON of Dearham, Cumberland County  (Read 2952 times)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth JOHNSTON of Dearham, Cumberland County
« on: Monday 17 November 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Seeking information on Elizabeth's family. My scant information has me believing she was born 16 November 1876 or possibly 26 November 1877  Row Brow (is this a street address?, area of town/village? or ?), Dearham, Cumberland. Her parents were Joseph JOHNSTON and Maria (?), Marie (?),  Mary (?) last name may be JONES. I haven't been able to locate any England census information for the family. Believe she had at least 5 siblings. Her mother Maria may have been born in Ireland. Joseph was a coal miner.

Any assistance or information will be greatly appreciated.

yn9man   
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth JOHNSTON of Dearham, Cumberland County
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Is this the family in 1881  Living at Row Moor,  Dearham   All born Dearham apart from father John Jones who was born Wicklow, Ireland

Maria Johnston    32  Married
John Johnston 14
Ann Johnston 12
Mary Ellen Johnston 9
James Johnston    6
Elizabeth Johnston 4
Jane Johnston    2months
John Jones 74 Widower Father

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:46 GMT (UK) »
1871 Living at Row Brow Dearham Maria is listed as born in Ireland

Joseph Johnston 25 Coal miner b Gilcrux Cumberland
Maria Johnston    23 Ireland
John Johnston 4
Ann Johnston 2

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 November 14 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Row Brow is a street shown on this map - Hopefully :)
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e7n/

Edit - There is a marriage on the FreeBMD Index for Joseph Johnston/Maria Jones Dec Qtr 1866 Cockermouth 10b 785

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 November 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
This looks like Maria with father John and family is 1851 - all listed as born Ireland and living at Row Brow, Dearham

John Jones 41 Labourer
Ann Jones    38
Jane Jones 13
John Jones 11
Ann Jones    9
Eleanor Jones 6
Maria Jones 4

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 November 14 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Kay99 -

First a BIG THANKS. Your information is very much appreciated and appears to be spot on with the family records and research I have attempted. Also, many thanks for the map. 

Yes this is the correct JOHNSTON family. Maria's husband Joseph went to the United States (US) a few years prior to the rest of the family. I assume the family was living in the same area in 1861.  The only discrepancy in my information is in the 1900 US census. It shows Elizabeth immigrating to the US in 1880. Not sure who responded to the census takers questions though.

Is Row Moor a different street from Row Brow? I have never researched Irish records. John JONES appears to have been born circa 1807. Do you know if Irish census, birth, and other records are available back that far?

Again thanks for your time and effort in researching the JOHNSTON family.

yn9man   :)
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 05:08 GMT (UK) »
Row Moor appears to be adjacent to Row Brow based on the census - Just looking at an old map of Dearham on the wonderful National Library of Scotland map site. Row Moor is a continutaion of Row Brow to the east.   This link should take you to the map and zoom right in -  the detail is amazing   http://maps.nls.uk/view/102340821

Sadly I am no expert on Irish records but this previous thread may help.   http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=442233.0

There is a family tree on Ancestry that lists Maria's birth as Lochray, Galway for which they state their source was the census?  I suppose it could be Loughrea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loughrea

Kay