Author Topic: 7681 CQMS William Leonard RSF  (Read 684 times)

Offline Simpson1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
7681 CQMS William Leonard RSF
« on: Friday 24 October 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
My father 3076 (later 7681) CQMS William Leonard RSF went to France with the 7th (S) Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers on 9th July 1915.   He returned to the UK on 15th December 1915.   Why?   All records seem to have been lost.   Any advice or information would be welcomed.
Simpson1

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 7681 CQMS William Leonard RSF
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 October 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
If his wife was Jemima Burnett and he had tattoos on both forearms, I have just read through very extensive army records for him. He served in the army in the Punjab in the 1890s and in South Africa (was at the relief of Ladysmith) during the Boer War. Was promoted and from time to time demoted for drunkenness. He rejoined the army on 10-9-1914, went to France on 10-7-15 and returned on 16-12-15. He was eventually demobilised in 1919.

Is this the same man?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 October 14 20:12 BST (UK) »
Looking at his pension record he'd done his full 21 years by 1912 so it's not that.
His MIC states he was awarded the BW & Victory medals which means he didn't enter a theatre of war in 1915.
As QSM he may have only gone as far as the disembarkation port & then returned to the UK for the duration.
Looks like GR2 has seen his docs. as well.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Simpson1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 October 14 23:23 BST (UK) »
Thank youfor your interest.   Yes he is the one.
Wife Jemima died in South Africa.   I had the details but have lost them and cannot remember how I got them.   You have accessed records which I have not seen.   I have a complete but sketchy outline of Williams service until he was discharged on 07021912.   On 18121913 he married Margaret Simpson by whom he had five sons of whom I am the youngest (now aged 86)
William was awarded the 1914-15 Star as well as the BW and Victory Medals.   He went to France on 9 Jul 1915 with 7/RSF in good time for the Battle of Loos 25 Sep to 8 Oct (or some would say 4 Nov).  He returned to UK on 15 Dec and spent time in various hospitals including Thorpe nr Norwich and Devonshire Hospital Buxton.  It is his service in France and the reason for his repatriation which interests me.   His military records were largely destroyed by German bombing and regimental records were transferred from Ayr to Glasgow when the RSF and the HLI combined.   While stored in a back room awaiting sorting the place was set on fire by hooligans and the damage completed by the fire brigade.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 October 14 23:31 BST (UK) »
I have sent you a personal message about this.