Author Topic: Burials in Kilmadock parish.  (Read 74942 times)

Offline ab325

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in Kilmadock parish.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
My ggg grandfather, George Bryce b. 1782 - d. 1848 and his father, John Bryce b. 1738 - d. 1797 are said to have been buried at Kilmadock Parish in the middle of Doune.  Would you possibly have pictures of their graves?  Some of the family members had seen the gravesites when they were there around 1905.  Are George's wife, Margaret Forbes b. 1787 - d. 1831, or John's wife, Christina Graham b. 1747/48 - d. before 1826 buried there also?

George's children, though, were baptized at the church at the Bridge of Teith.  Is it the church at the Bridge of Teith that you said is no longer there?

Bryce (Doune), May (within 15 miles of Edinburgh), McLaren

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi ab.
Yes it is the Teith church that is no longer there.
If it is the graveyard in the village you mean for the burials then i can check it out.
Unfortunatly a lot of the stones have dissapeared or been damaged over the years but i do believe there is a book with details of burials .
Will try my best for you.
Kenny

Offline monks13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Managed to get a look at the Inscriptions book today.
John Bryce 29.3.1797 age 59. stone erected by son George.
George Bryce Smith(I take it this means his job,i.e Blacksmith) 29.5.1848 age 65.
Wife Margret Forbes 24.6.1831 age 43.
daughter Janet 27.10.1836 age 27.
We are just back from holiday in Spain, and i haven't unpacked my camera yet.
Once i do i will see if the stones are still there as the graveyard is about 200yards from my house.

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 July 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
I seem to recall there are a bunch of Bryce stones at Norrieston in Kincardine Parish. Do you remember the Bryces at our school Kenny? I believe they are still living in the area.... Balir Drummond/Thornhill ...
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 July 09 20:09 BST (UK) »
I may have posted this photo elsewhere but here it is anyway as it might be of some assistance. It was taken in Blairdrummond cemetery.

Cheers
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 July 09 05:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenny - just doing a review.. ;D

Did we ever get around to checking burials for ..
Robert Stewart died 10 Jul 1898 Deanstone, and his wife Janet/Jean Ferguson died 19 Dec 1891 also at Deanstone.

Think we got waylaid somewhat.

Really interested to find out if Robert had a gravestone which may ...may give his place of birth and possibly his parents, of course they could be buried elsewhere.
Just found John McKay and his wife both died in Drymen Stirling but turned up buried in Port of Monteith..so you never know.

Also have lost my address book m'dear so no longer have your e.mail so if you want to send again would appreciate it.

Regards Pat vp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline ameralian1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on Janet Sommers, who married Thomas McArthur in Kilmadock Parish Dec 7, 1771. Name spelling may have been Symmers.  This couple would be my somewhere-down-the-line great grandparents. Any assistance appreciated, as I am only in Scotland for a few more days.

Regards,
Pam Palmer

Offline valr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
hi
what info do you have so far?
Scotland -McCall, King, Morrison, Thomson, Mcfarlane, Stewart, Dow, Jolly, Roberston, Christie, Mclaren, Campbell, McGregor
England - Roberts, Steel, Underhill, Brookes, Pope, Stump

Offline aussiejeff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kenny - How are you  ;D
Don't know if we have searched for some of these before, short term memory loss  ::)

Colin Ferguson 1891 Doune.
Jane Ferguson 1891 Deanstone.
John Ferguson 1870 Kincardine by Doune (are these included at Kilmadock ?)
Elizabeth Galbraith 1909 Doune.
Elizabeth McAlpine 1870 Kilmadock.
Jane McGregor 1870 Kincardine.
Janet McGregor 1916 Kilmadock.
James McKay 1916 Kincardine by Doune.
Margaret Stewart 1876 Kilmadock.
Margaret Stewart 1941 Kilmadock.
Robert Stewart 1898 Kilmadock.

All help appreciated.

By the way have you heard from Gordon Roberts yet re the Lauder's.

Regards..Patvp

Hi Patvp

Elizabeth McAlpine (d. 21 Mar 1870, Burnside Cottages, Kilmadock) and Walter McAlpine (d. 21 Nov 1868, Burnside Cottages, Kilmadock) are my 3rd great grandparents! Hopefully a headstone still exists for them at the old Kilmadock churchyard?

Also, their son John (d. 1872, Kilmadock) may  have been buried there too, plus some more of their children? Actually, pics of any McAlpine headstones may be useful (got so many McAlpine ancestors in the vicinity it is not funny... esp. Port of Menteith & Deanston / Kilmadock families!

From what I can see from Google Earth, the old Burnside Cottages just south of the old Kilmadock Church yard have been erased from the face of the earth. I now have these sites clearly marked in my Google Earth Places  :D

However, I too would be greatly appreciative and much interested in seeing some photos of the old Burnside Cottages area and any pics of the old Kilmadock church ruins & McAlpine headstones if any.

Sadly, at my advancing age, limited finances and living in Wodonga, Victoria, Australia, I see little hope of ever visiting the wonderful places my ancestors lived in Bonnie Scotland.  :'(

Oh well. A few piccies could cheer me up!

I have paid Scotland GRO for death certs for Walter McAlpine (1868), wife Elizabeth (1870),  son William (1880) if anyone interested.

Nice to meet you !!   ;)

Jeff
Wodonga
VIC
Australia
Duncan, McAlpine, Sinclair, McFarlane, Ingram, Matthison, Farquhar, Bain, Forbes, McMillan