Author Topic: Ice cream sellers and street musicians  (Read 118450 times)

Offline Livi78

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ice cream sellers and street musicians
« Reply #117 on: Saturday 17 May 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Just read the second post!  Thank you very for your help!
Toti , Tote , Tate , Risi , Fusco , Vincent , Rooney , Turner

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 17 May 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
My pleasure Lisa...If you have any birth/death dates for your relatives perhaps more can be learned of your Ice Cream seller relatives and their lives in the UK.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Sunday 18 May 14 16:29 BST (UK) »
Here's more Risi Family information here for you:

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/italian-genealogy/7364

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline robtaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 19 June 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my 3rd Gt Grandfather Bennett Tazzar and his Wife Ann Thomson's ice cream business in Glasgow where he owned a shop from the 1870's to 1890's. Would anyone know the best place or what records I need to look at to try and find this information. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 19 June 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob and welcome to Rootschat...You might be better off posting your query here for more local knowledge from those who subscribe to Scotland's People:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=102.0

Carol

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Sunday 29 June 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

try here, it's the Glasgow PO Directories, he should be listed in it.

http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=91168983

Davie
ps, just leaving for Dalbeth, photos will follow later today
D
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire

Offline ginocchio

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 16 July 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Here's my little insight into The Italians coming over to Morecambe I'm unsure of the exact dates atm but I do know Stephen settled here in the late nineteenth century and of what interest it will be to any-one else I don't know but I thought I would share what I know up to now including pictures :..... Each photo has a story to it too, what connection does it have to Overton you may ask but we have always lived in Overton and Middleton ..... I'm constantly searching for any new information so if you have some please do share xx
 Stephen Ginocchio my great, great, great Grandfather whom came from genoa was a well known musician in Lancaster,The Ginocchio's were the first family to bring ice cream to lancaster .The 4 main lancaster italian families to arrive in Morecambe are the Ginocchio's ,Macaris,Brucianiani's and the Rastellis... The Ginocchio's taught the macaris the ice cream trade which is still running with the macaris family now .
 Stephen Ginocchio born 1873 is chris costellos ( on my freinds list) nannas great uncle or greatgrand father,my dad ian (i think its my dad) is chris Costellos Nannas cousin his Nannas uncle was called mark and either seraphine domonics son or Anthony's , chris's great grandmother was called Annie ( Marks sister) and was from lancaster,, she was one of 13 children but some died and she was fathered by either Domonic or Anthony .
 Acccording to what im reading Ginocchio actually pronounced Ginoc ch io is a common surname for people from the Liguria region of italy . Translated into english it means knee and takes it's name from the shape of the coastline.
 Here is a list of dates and records of deaths and births I know of
 Stephen Ginocchio b 1849 Genoa died 1919 in Lancaster .Children Seraphine Domonic born 1873 Preston died Preston 1912 Chorlton ,Anthony born 1874 Haslington, Benetta born 1877 Haslington,Jacob born 1879, Angilina born 1881 xx
 if you haven't got bored and are still reading Anthony Ginocchio's role astounded me the most he was a knocker upper and still to this day our nick names are knocker , big knocker , lil knocker etc I always wondered where that nickname came from
 The pictures may not be in the correct order sorry. and I have 1 or 2 pictures I couldn't attach as the site wouldn't allow me to :(

Offline Paulo Historico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sparing the time to post the list of musicians.

I recognise all but one surname name - yes, musicians were much enjoyed by the majority in Cumbria / Cumberland - North Lancashire, where they paid to hear a tune.  I have details of how much they earned, and it was good money - today we buy a CD to enjoy at home, back then an organ grinder often with a monkey would entertain.

They became so numerous by the early 1900s that laws came into force to curtail their numbers.
Sadly, many were abused including an expectant Italian girl who was assisting but was kicked in her stomach in Keswick by an ungrateful person (the story got into the papers - I have many thousands of stories in our archive).

In Scotland they were not permitted at any time and so no organ grinders appeared in Dumfries & Galloway.

Many thanks - Paul

Offline Paulo Historico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ginocchio - just done some searches on your Ginocchio & Cummings surnames but sadly I don't have anything on either.  (Also included my Edinburgh Mount Vernon cemetery work just in case).
My area covers "today's" Cumbria & Dumfries & Galloway.

Wonderful photos and fascinating musical background too.
It always amazes me how often our families from the past moved around the country looking for a niche market for whatever they were doing.

Kind regards - Paul