Author Topic: Stewart/Morrison/Irwin , Derryork/Gortgarn  (Read 11112 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart/Morrison/Irwin , Derryork/Gortgarn
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 August 07 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
           Yes I know about them, I have a record of their marriage, but many thanks anyway.
regards
Morrison Stewart
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 August 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
Kingskerswell - I came across this old post & wondered if you knew anything about this Derryork family?

Married Scriggan P 28 May 1874
John O. Irwin farmer of Derryork son of John Irwin farmer to Mary Stewart, Ballyness dau of George Stewart, farmer. Witnesses - William P Anderson & Matilda Stewart.

John Oliver Irwin (c. 1849-1924) appears to have been the son of John Irwin senior (died 1895) & Mary Ann Oliver (d 1877).  Family buried Old Tamlaght graveyard, Ballykelly.

I have been researching a family of Irwin/Irvine of Ballymore & Drumrane who married into Olivers of Terrydremond so wonder if there is a connection to the Irwins of Derryork who also married into Olivers (but not sure yet which Oliver family).

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 August 14 11:47 BST (UK) »
Gortinanima,
                  Yes I know quite a bit about this family. Mary Stewart was my grandfather's sister. However John Oliver Irwin's mother was Mary Ann Anderson according to information in an old bible. The Oliver name appears in the Stewart line as well especially the descendants of Mary Stewart. Mary had a younger brother who died in a fire in 1856 and he also had Oliver as a second name. Mary Stewart's mother was also an Irwin. I have been trying to find a connection for some years.

Regards

Edit. In 1865 John J. Irwin married MATILDA Ann Oliver in Drumachose Presbyterian Church
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 August 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
John Oliver Irwin's mother was Mary Ann Anderson according to information in an old bible

Tamlagh Old Graveyard.
Inscription: Erected by J. O. Irwin Derryork in memory of his uncle James Oliver who died 16th December 1874, his mother Mary Ann Irwin who died 2nd Dec 1877, his father John Irwin who died 5th June 1895; also his wife Mary Irwin who died 30th April 1916 and his six children who died young; also the above James Oliver Irwin who died 13th March 1924 aged 74 years.

Yes, I see a William P Anderson was witness to the marriage of James Oliver Irwin so he was probably a cousin.

According to the headstone above James Oliver (c.1806-1875) was an uncle to James O Irwin  (so I assumed (incorrectly) his mother was an Oliver). Must have been an uncle through marriage but not a blood uncle?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 August 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Looks like the gravestone might have the incorrect date for James Oliver- "The Will of James Oliver late of Leek County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 16 December 1875 at Ballymacelvennan was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of the Reverend Thomas Kennedy of Templemoyle (Limavady) Presbyterian Clergyman and Isaac Irwin of Drumaduff (Limavady) Farmer both in said County the Executors." Wording of Will is on PRONI's site and 1st bequest mentions nephew John Irwin.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 August 14 13:16 BST (UK) »
Looks like the gravestone might have the incorrect date for James Oliver- "The Will of James Oliver late of Leek County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 16 December 1875 at Ballymacelvennan was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of the Reverend Thomas Kennedy of Templemoyle (Limavady) Presbyterian Clergyman and Isaac Irwin of Drumaduff (Limavady) Farmer both in said County the Executors." Wording of Will is on PRONI's site and 1st bequest mentions nephew John Irwin.

Nice one. Don't take dates on headstones as gospel!

(Still cannot work out how they are uncle and nephew?)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 August 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   The Isaac Irwin, executor of James Oliver, was the brother of My Great Grandmother, Elizabeth Irwin. Trying to work out Irwin relationships in the Derryork/Ballyness/Leeke townlands at that time is a nightmare!

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Deborah Graham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 22:04 BST (UK) »
hello,
this is some information l have on my grandmothers family if it helpshttp://www.niarchive.org/LimavadyCa/directory/Townland_Stories.aspx?lc=1&id=4b677510-29be-4036-99ac-47f7e53518e2&directoryid=bc3ba20b-a782-4a53-8154-af22887c333a&tabid=a39d9e7a-af87-45d2-bff0-3713791367e0

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 22:28 BST (UK) »
Deborah,
            Many thanks for your interest. This information is from a book about the townlands in the Gelvin electoral district and I supplied some of the information for this article.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim