Author Topic: My grandad's parents !!  (Read 20994 times)

Offline BarneyElf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandad's parents !!
« on: Tuesday 02 November 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
            Hi Folks !! - Glad to be aboard "rootschat.com"... ;D

The attached photo shows my grandfather (Thomas Adams Snr) with his wife, (Charlotte Adams Jnr - nee Turner) and only son, (Thomas Adams), (my father). My grandfather was with the 'old 36th' ulster div. in WW1. His wife is from Ballyness, Somerset, Coleraine, Co. Londonderry - (1901 & 1911 census). My grandfathers parents were Henry Adams (Killowen St. Coleraine) and Mary Adams (nee DOGHERTY) from Boho, Fermanagh area  ::)
        Where would I find out any details of my grandfathers parents marriage etc. My grandfather was born in 1880 and I have 'deduced' his parents were born about 1860 '+' or '-' a few years.
They lived in 'Killowen' most of their lives, then my father got married ** and they lived at 36 Shuttle Hill, Coleraine.
        When I was 3 years old we moved from Shuttle Hill to 36 Willow Drive, Millburn, Coleraine, where I lived till 1979 and then moved and got married.
         ???Where and when was the photo taken and what is Charlottes dress style? He was a stevedore at Coleraine Harbour in civvy street and she was a seamstress - where would she have worked?
Any information would be most warmly appreciated and welcomed. ;)

** Moderator's Comment: recent family details removed in accordance with Rootschat policy.
ADAMS (Coleraine): TURNER (Castleroe): TURNER (Belfast): HILLIS (Belfast, Carrick, Limavady and Australia): BOURDON ?? (unsure of spelling):

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My grandad's parents !!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. Let's start with this- "Where and when was the photo taken and what is Charlottes dress style? He was a stevedore at Coleraine Harbour in civvy street and she was a seamstress - where would she have worked?"
The photo could have been taken anywhere- are there any markings at the bottom or on the back to give clues?
Seamstresses often worked from home.

The names in your post (Adams, Turner, McCandless) all are familiar and fairly common around Coleraine. Any connection to William H. Adams who married (1908) Margaret Ross?

Here's Henry Adams and family in 1911 census- says married 30 years and daughter Sarah McCandless is a widow (are you sure that Mary Adams' maiden name was McCandless- I can't find her in my McCandless notes)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Killowen_Street/588899

I do however have details about Sarah (Adams) McCandless- she married 1908 Hugh McCandless (c1886-1908/1911)- in 1901 his occupation was medical hall help (possibly some sort of chemist's assistant). They had one son, Robert, who's listed in census. Hugh McCandless' parents were Hugh and Elizabeth (Brownlee) McCandless. Strangely enough the McCandless family lived in Adams Row in 1911!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BarneyElf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey - that is the fastest reply to a query I have had in the past 4 years - thank you so much. The details I have are:-
I don't have the actual photo, only a copy - my sister has the original, so I must get at her and try to see it.

Henry Adams and Mary McCandless
sons, Thomas (my grandfather) and Henry jnr and daughters, Sarah (married McCandless) and Mary.
This was taken from 1911 census. They lived at 66 and 81 Killowen Street, Coleraine, so they must have moved between the census years ...  Also a Robert McCandless was a grandson, I suppose he was Sarah Adams' (who married McCandless') son.
Where did you find the info that young Robert worked in a chemist shop ?? .......

Thank you once again for your help - it has made a big difference - much oblidged my friend ..
ADAMS (Coleraine): TURNER (Castleroe): TURNER (Belfast): HILLIS (Belfast, Carrick, Limavady and Australia): BOURDON ?? (unsure of spelling):

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Possibly this is Charlotte Turner's parents:
Thomas Turner, son of Thomas, married 29 Dec.1868 Coleraine to Charlotte Gaston, daughter of James.
Also, 27 Nov.1868 James Gaston, son of James, married Margaret Turner, daughter of Thomas.

1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Somerset/Castleroe/1516822

1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Somerset/Ballyness/587777

Charlotte Turner's death was registered Apr./June 1912. Thomas Turner possibly died 1917.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 23:34 GMT (UK) »
I was typing the above Turner details while you were posting so here's a few more bits.

It was Hugh McCandless (Sarah Adams' husband) who worked in medical hall in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Coleraine/Millburn_Cottages/1518707

Here's Henry Adams' family in 1901- 66 is the number of the household on the census form not a street number:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Coleraine/Killowen_Street/1517885

And here they are in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Killowen_Street/588899
If you look at Form B you can see that there is no house number-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002803447

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »
And yet more- Henry Adams married (1880 Co.Derry) to Mary Dogherty. At the moment I can only identify 7 children of Henry and Mary (1911 census said there were 8 but only 7 living).
1. Thomas (c1882).
2. John (c1883) m.(1901) Mary Doherty. 1911- living Killowen St.
3. Robert (c1885)
4. Sarah (c1889) m. Hugh McCandless.
5. Margaret (c1891).
6. Henry (1893).
7. Mary (c1904).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Last bit for tonight-
Henry Adams, Killowen St., 10th Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
William Adams, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
John Adams, Killowen St., 10th Bn. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Am posting some Turner information in case you don't already have it.

Thomas Turner m.(1868) Charlotte Gaston (details posted above)- children:
1. Mary Eliza born 1 Oct.1869 Aghadowey district, Derry
2. James born 5 July 1871 Aghadowey district
3. Elizabeth Ann born 28 Apr.1873 Aghadowey district, m. Samuel Neilans
4. Margaret born 26 May 1875 Dirraw district, Antrim- "Maggie" at home in 1901 census.
5. Thomas born 25 Oct.1876 Slavney?, Ballymoney district, Antrim - at home in 1901 census.
6. Charlotte born c1881 m. Henry Adams.
7. Annie born c1885 m. Hugh Clark.

Elizabeth Ann "Bessie" Turner married 1894 to Samuel Neilans and had at least 3 children. Not sure if she's the Mary Eliza born 1869- suspect Bessie was a younger child, perhaps Mary Eliza died young.
1. Thomas born c1896- 1911 with Turner grandparents
2. Maggie born c1898- 1911 with aunt Annie Clark
3. Mary born c1903- 1911 with Turner grandparents
In 1901 the Neilans are living in Liffock-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Articlare/Liffock/1517051
There's no trace that I can find of Samuel in 1911 census nor a death for him between 1901/1911- but the spelling of the surname might be the problem. However, Bessie Neilans' death was registered July/Sept.1910 and gives her age as 34. This is probably why the 3 children are living with relatives by the 1911 census.

Annie Turner married Hugh Clark and had 3 children by 1911 although at the time of the census only 2 daughters were living. Interestingly, both the daughters were born in Scotland. Annie's neice Maggie Neilans is also in the household.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Taylor_s_Row/590143

Looks like son Thomas Turner was a water baliff by 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Somerset/Ballyness/587772

This might be the son James Turner in 1901 and 1911 census records (should be Articlave not Articlare)- the location is close to where Bessie Neilans lived and this could be how Bessie met her husband Samuel.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Articlare/Articlare_Town/1517064
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Articlave/Articlave_Town/588072

Updated details posted in red

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Bessie Turner married 28 Sept.1894 Crossgar Presbyterian Church to Samuel Neilans.

Notice that in 1901 census James Turner is unmarried but in 1911 he;s a widower, so must have married and wife died within those years.

Another marriage- possible sister to Thomas Turner who married Charlotte Gaston:
Mary Jane Turner, dau. of Thomas Turner, m.(10 Feb.1859 Macosquin) William Matthews, son of John.