Author Topic: My grandad's parents !!  (Read 21007 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My grandad's parents !!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I can find a record of James Turner who married Annie Dunn on 31 May 1904 in Dunboe Presbyterian Church, Coleraine. There is also a record of an Annie Turner who died in Coleraine Registration District between Oct and Dec 1908.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline BarneyElf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 November 10 00:21 GMT (UK) »
To Aghadowey and Kingskerswell ...  ;D
      One million thanks for the wealth of information regarding ADAMS & TURNER families. I have never received so much information in such a short space of time on any family history site - till I came here to RootsChat.com .... my goodness .... I am just speechless.
       I didn't even know that some of the ADAMS family were in the war - only grandad ... this is ruddy brilliant. All this information is so new to me and a GREAT help - thank you both for taking time out of your busy schedule to find it.
       It has, and will, make a big difference to my family tree information ... now all I have to do is get it all into the system on my computer .. ha, ha..
       Please have a nice day, both of you, and once again, thank you for your surprisingly speedy replies.

Kindest regards ....

P.S. I noticed you removed some info as per Roots policy. I apologise if I have inadvertantly broken any rules - this was an oversight on my part. Thank you for the gentle reminder - much appreciated.

P.P.S. I just remembered, my grandfather, Thomas Adams was in the following:-
Royal Irish Rifles No: 10842
Royal Inniskilling Fusilers No: 43302
Royal Engineers No: WR/300983
He received the Victory Medal, British war medal and '15' Star. These were stolen years ago, but I intend to get copies to help remember his, and his comrades, efforts to make this a better world for all of us.

ADAMS (Coleraine): TURNER (Castleroe): TURNER (Belfast): HILLIS (Belfast, Carrick, Limavady and Australia): BOURDON ?? (unsure of spelling):

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McCandless of Coleraine
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 November 11 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm not related (or at least I don't know if I am related) to McCandlesses, but I am researching a short biography of the television presenter Anne Gregg who was from Belfast. It seems that Robert H. McCandless, a notable actor in Belfast, was her uncle, and from an internet family history site, (by Alan McCandless) it seems that Robert H. McCandless may have been from Coleraine, or at least had Coleraine antecedents. I'd like to know more; can anyone help? I suppose likely Anne Gregg's mother was a McCandless? I'd like to get at least a deathdate for R.H. McCandless, and any other biographical information would be welcome

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Any idea when he was born or his parents' names?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 November 11 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Seems to be Moville rather than Coleraine? died 1971 according to this thread-
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=384&p=surnames.mccandless

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 November 11 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   It may not be relevant but a Samuel McCandless married Annie Hutchinson in St. Parrick's Church of Ireland, Coleraine on 1 Aug 1876. I can only find three children, Ellen 1876, Agnes 1878 and Mary 1880,
all born in Coleraine.

Regards

Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
McCandless Coleraine/ Moville
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 November 11 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Moville! He seems to have got around! Carrickfergus also seems to think he belonged there or at least lived there. The information about the Coleraine link came from Alan McCandless's site; I don't know anything much about him. I couldn't figure out his antecedents from the 1911 census, so that's why I posted here. THanks to all anyway!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 November 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Found a note from Alan McCandless' information: Two of Abram's daughters married McCandless brothers from Coleraine. This particular branch were interior decorators. The distinguished actor R.H. McCandless was a product of one of these marriages.

Then checked my files-
Abraham/Abram McCandless (c1800-1894) lived at Learden and married Mary Black. One son named Hutchinson (1835-1928) and he had a son Hutchinson (1904-1958). One daughter Annie (c1854) married Robert McCandless (c1842(, a house painter in Coleraine. Other daughters were Mary (m. Keers), Lizzie (m. Morrison), Margaret Ann- could be others?.

Robert McCandless (c1842-1915), house painter, lived at Railway Road in Coleraine, and married (1874) Annie McCandless (see above). Children: Mary, Sarah, Thomas, Anna, Lizzie, James, Martha, Robert John, Agnes, Eva Margretta, Ida Marion. Family attended Terrace Row Presbyterian Church.

Robert's brother, William McCandless of Ballymoney, Ballymena & Belfast was also a painter and married Sarah (I have her maiden name as McCandless with a question mark). Daughter Annie (1870 Moville, Donegal) m.(1898 Belfast) John Ussher Gregg. Other children: William James, Samuel Abraham, Mary Anne, Sarah, Jean, son, Eva G.L., Thomas Black AND Robert Hutchinson McCandless born 28 Jan.1884 Moville, Donegal.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 November 11 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    On 21 Jul 1870 William McCandless did indeed marry Sarah McCandless in Ballylaggan Reformed Presbyterian Church, Macosquin, Coleraine.
    On 23 Aug 1898 John Alexander ? Gregg married Annie McCandless in Broadway Presbyterian Church, Shankill, Belfast. Two different sites record the name Alexander

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim