Author Topic: Request: Richard McCarthy - Makaraka Cemetery Gisborne  (Read 5693 times)

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Request: Richard McCarthy - Makaraka Cemetery Gisborne
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 April 14 02:42 BST (UK) »
Still no reply so I have to say, definitely yes.

Thanks for all the help. Some community here. :)

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 April 14 04:30 BST (UK) »
I have added it to my list and hope to get to Archives next week

Cheers Janette

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 April 14 18:53 BST (UK) »
Janette, after some researching I found Richard's father's birth certificate. Richard is the one who notified the authorities of the death of his father.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7s25qxbs52ht35/20140404_155354.jpg

So this slightly narrows the timescales for when he eventually left Mohona for Australia and henceforth to New Zealand.

Offline proteanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 April 14 10:10 BST (UK) »
aryHi Richard.  I am not at home at the moment, on holiday, wont be back there till Good Friday. I am now being classed by the Gisborne District Council as the Makaraka Cemetery guru.  Dont know if I like it, but whatever.  The cemetery was vandalised by Cook County Council employees between 1965 and 1974.  In 1972/1973 a teacher from a neighbouring college took pupils through there on a tutorial about photography and photographed every existing headstone.  Unfortunately over 500 went in the river with some 88 being placed in a surveyed trench.  We have been trying for four years to get them out, and the Council dont want to take responsiblity for what their staff did and have us legally tied up in knots.  We are now working with a local Maori group and hope to achieve our goal.   There has been some earthquake damage, but that was only 5 years ago.  We are now rewriting the book and adding in other details re new headstones, a more workable index, and data.  Will be glad to answer any queries after Good Friday..   Cheers till then

Offline proteanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard, I am putting together a book written by relatives of people buried in Makaraka Cemetery - sort of short family profile, how they came, why they came, when, what they did etc, and a photograph.  Some 4000 buried there and if I can get 100 plus family stories, would be very happy.  At the moment figure stands at 43 so if you want to participate you are welcome.   Dot (proteanz)

Offline lamahorse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Proteanz,

My name isn't Richard, but I'm Connor and this man Richard is my great-great grand uncle. I recently discovered an obituary to Richard and I came here for more information for some people who are better versed in New Zealand genealogy than I.

Sure, that sounds great as Richard seems to have had an interesting life. His wife and son John Henry are buried in the same plot but I'm not sure of the status of their headstones.

Richard McCarthy as born in Mohanagh, Skibbereen, Co. Cork in 1864. His obituary claims that he went to Australia for one of the gold rushes. Eventually he ends up in Gisborne and marries in 1901. He seems to have had an interesting life alright and his son died in 1946; Richard himself died 1920.

I have no idea where to search for records for Richard's activities in Australia.

Oh and this all started because my grand aunt claimed that he went to New Zealand. Finding his obituary was incredible luck and it is great to find the facts to my grandaunts memories of hearing about relatives. :)

Offline proteanz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 07:15 BST (UK) »
The book records are not with me as I am on holiday, but I looked at the book and it states that there was no headstone, but that does mean to say there has never been one.   The abuse of the cemetery is such that Council employes, instead of placing fallen headstones along the fence, put them in a corner, and knocked foundation about so others fell over and could be dragged to a corner also, eventually to get pushed into the river alongside.  This was done between 1965 and 1974.  Between 1972 and 1974 a teacher took kids through to take photos, and that is why we have some records, and in the book this is indicated as inscription being read from a photograph.
If you have evidence of a headstone could you let me know, as our records show none.  Sometimes the headstones were gone before the photographs were taken.  The Council does not want to accept responsibility for what their former employees did. We have a 60 page book on the history and the desecration if you want to read it some time. It is interesting and upsetting though

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
Absolutely shocking how some councils act toward graveyards.

Balmain cemetery ( http://www.balmaincemetery.org/ ) in Sydney, check the film they found.  :-X

Some of mine are buried in Makaraka, the HINDRUPs and others, and I have just seen a new plaque on a grave, hopefully the original head stone is still there.

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 April 14 03:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have photos of the probate for Leonora Jackson could you please PM your email address

Cheers Janette