Author Topic: Early Divorces in NZ  (Read 7168 times)

Offline Jeanette

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Early Divorces in NZ
« on: Tuesday 01 July 14 04:36 BST (UK) »
Researching a divorce between John Watson Veitch and Margaret Stewart Veitch[nee Mcalpine].
They married in 1872 in Dunedin 16 April 1872. No further info on marriage cert.
John Watson Veitch remarried 1885 to Mary Wilson, he then died in 27 Dec 1888.
I understood divorce would be recorded on marrriage cert.
Where do I go to find out info.
Margaret did not remarry until 1917, by then John was dead.
Many thanks Jeanette

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Early Divorces in NZ
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 05:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at the births online,Margaret may have gone astray as the last 2 of her children have fathe NR,I notice the last 3 children have a second christian name of Johnston,maybe he was the father

1874/47795 Veitch  Elizabeth Watson/  Margaret Stewart/ John
1876/2636 Veitch  Margaret Stuart Farquharson / Margaret Stuart /John
1877/11089 Veitch  Thomas McAlpin / Margaret Stewart /John
1879/9585 Veitch  Christina Johnston/  Margaret Stewart /John
1881/17701 Veitch  Andrew Johnston  /Margaret Stewart /NR
1882/16837 Veitch  Annie Johnston / Margaret Stewart/ NR

Cheers Janette

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 05:12 BST (UK) »

North Otago Times. TUESDAY, JANUARY 4, 1881.
John Veitch, charged on remand with deserting his wife and family at Dunedin, was further remanded unti' to-morrow.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=NOT18810104.2.8&srpos=74&e=-------10--71-byDA---2John+Veitch--

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 05:17 BST (UK) »
The Otago Daily Times. WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 1882.

Mr E. H. Carew, R.M., sat at tho R.M Court yesterday to hear an application by John veitch for a variation in a separation order made in April, 1878, by Mr Watt. Mr Macdonald appeared for the applicant, and Mr A. Bathgate resisted the application on behalf of the wife, Margaret Veitch. After argument on both sides the order was varied the maintenance being struck out and custody of the children given to the husband.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=ODT18820208.2.10&srpos=144&e=-------10--141-byDA---2John+Veitch--

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 05:19 BST (UK) »
Hello...

It might be worth asking for a look-up of the 1885 ITM. An ITM will sometimes mention a date of when the bride or groom became a widow/widower. Maybe it does the same for a divorce.

Intention to Marry Notice (ITM) 1856-1956
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=494517.msg4544371#msg4544371

Regards
Beg

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 05:34 BST (UK) »

Offline Jeanette

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for replies has been helpful.
Have traced 3 of the children Elizabeth Watson b.1874, Margaret Stuart Veitch b. 1876 and
 Thomas Mcalpine Veitch b.1877.
Any suggestions in tracing
Christina Johnston Veitch b.1879
Andrew Johnston Veitch b.1881
Annie Johnston Veitch b.1882.
Father of these 3 children Christopher Johnston whom she moved to Auckland with and had a further 3 children
Cheers Jeanette

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 11:58 BST (UK) »
Under the circumstances, I would not be surprised to find the kids just as "Johnston".

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/ does show some records of them (seems Christopher did a runner around 1902/3? Did they stay together in the end?)

Here's the marriage of Christina, listed as daughter of Christopher and Margaret and granddaughter of "the late Captain McAlpine":
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0170v/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 July 14 15:49 BST (UK) »

Researching a divorce between John Watson Veitch and Margaret Stewart Veitch[nee Mcalpine].
They married in 1872 in Dunedin 16 April 1872. No further info on marriage cert.
John Watson Veitch remarried 1885 to Mary Wilson, he then died in 27 Dec 1888.
I understood divorce would be recorded on marrriage cert.

Hello Jeanette

I thought the names John Watson VEITCH and Margaret Stewart VEITCH (McALPINE), rang some bells.   :D

I managed to find your previous thread (re: Christopher JOHNSTON / JOHNSTONE) where I'd given some assistance with that search and where the VEITCH name crops up also.    (I think two threads on the subject have been merged).

So having read through the previous, I see that it was established that John Watson VEITCH (butcher) had died on 24 December 1885 and was buried with his (and Margaret's) infant daughter (died 29 April 1877), in a shared plot, at the Northern Cemetery, Dunedin.

[Just incidentally, the 1872 marriage at Dunedin to Margaret McALPIN [sic] records his name only as "John VEITCH", though I think we can be fairly sure (because of the burial with his daughter/ and also his funeral notice) that he was the same John Watson VEITCH who went on to re-marry in 1885 to Mary WILSON. ]

We also have a newspaper record of his formal separation (April 1878) from Margaret.
You may recall (previous thread) that I mentioned that if a divorce between the couple had taken place, then this would be endorsed (usually by way of an official stamp bearing the date of the Decree Absolute), on the marriage record.    But of course the marriage record (certificate) you have, does not record a divorce.

My guess is :     

*  That there was no divorce.

*  That John VEITCH (a.k.a. John Watson VEITCH) in fact committed bigamy when he wed Mary WILSON in 1885 - perhaps not knowingly - but did so on the basis that the formal separation agreement with Margaret (1878), "spelled" the end of that marriage, and allowed him the freedom to re-marry.

Yes, I think a good start is to request an ITM (Intention to Marry notice) for his marriage to Mary WILSON (1885) which may give helpful info.    If not, then a copy (printout) of the marriage record, may shed more light ?

~  Lu