Author Topic: Murphy burial  (Read 1321 times)

Offline avotier

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murphy burial
« on: Friday 04 July 14 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for a burial in 1897 for a Francis Murphy who was found drowned in the river Lee in Cork.
There was an inquest but cant seem to locate the burial has anyone got any ideas.
I have been in contact with library and archives but to no avail.I assume it would be a poor mans  as he was from Tyneside and a sailor just come in from a ship from America..

many thanks
                            Ann

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy burial
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 14 11:35 BST (UK) »
I know it a daft question to ask was in the navy or just a general sailor, do you know the name of the ship, what does the inquest say, who pulled him out of the water, if there was a inquest must be a death certificate, have you tried the local council in cork, of the local death registry.  It might have been mentioned in a local paper or in a Tyneside paper.
Local council usual see to the dead that have no one esle.

Offline avotier

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Murphy burial
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
we got the inquest report but it does not say what ship he was on. also, he was only a merchant seaman as far as we know. we been trying to find the name of the ship that he was on from america. i have applied for his death certificate, and it was just death by drowning accidental
ann