Author Topic: Alfred Greatbatch GOVER Barrister of Chatham  (Read 5828 times)

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alfred Greatbatch GOVER Barrister of Chatham
« on: Friday 25 February 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Alfred Greatbatch Gover was born in 1838 at Chatham and baptised at St Mary’s Church Chatham on 1st June 1838. His father was Thomas Gover born 1802 and mother Ann Greatbatch born 1804.

Alfred Greatbatch became a Barrister at Law and travelled to Madras India where in 1874 he married Anna Jane Illingworth born 1853. My Grandfather Alfred Adrian was born in Tillicherry Madras in 1875.

Can anyone help me with finding out when Alfred Greatbatch Gover became a Barrister? When he went to India? On what ship did he travel? And how long he stayed in India?

I do know that Alfred went to New Zealand at some stage as he had properties there and I believe worked there as well. His cousin Frederick Gover and family lived in New Zealand. I would love to know how long he stayed there as well but that needs to be a question for new Zealand.

Alfred Greatbatch died in Kent in 1918.

A second quest if not too much all at once - Alfred Greatbatch’s Grandfather was Edward Gover born in 1764 baptised at St Mary as well. He married an Ann. Can anyone tell me what year he married and the family name of Ann? I have searched and searched the on-line Parish Records of St Mary’s Chatham but with no success.

The Parish Records of St Mary’s Chatham are amazing. I was so excited at finding them – they have helped significantly in tracing the Govers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline purp72

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Greatbatch GOVER Barrister of Chatham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 February 11 00:07 GMT (UK) »
From the Gale 19th century newspapers collection, Alfred Greatbatch Gover was called to the Bar (Grays Inn) on 18 November 1867.  His address was given as  John Street, Poplar New Town.

Purp72
DIXSON/DIXON - Ripon/Harrogate/Leeds
ELLIS - Gildersome/Cleckheaton/Leeds
HARDCASTLE - Ripon
HOWELL(S) - Brawdy/Barrow in Furness
JOHN - Pendine/Marros/Swansea
KELLS - Dublin
LAWSON - Hunslet
LEAHY/LEE - Ireland/Brecknock/Swansea
LUCAS - Hunslet
MORGAN - St Davids
POLLARD - Weymouth/Ripon/Harrogate/Leeds
REES - Solva
REID - Halifax/Leeds
SAVAGE - Bristol/Leeds

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 February 11 00:44 GMT (UK) »
He was in NZ in 1885 as he bought some shares in a gold mining company

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c0v/

If this is your Frederick, he was a school teacher by the look of it

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0c0w/

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 February 11 01:02 GMT (UK) »
An Alfred Gover, barrister, age 75, left from New York on the Majestic arriving 7 Sep 1913 in Southampton.

Might have been just a trip to the US

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 February 11 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello purp72 and Eysee,

Thank you both so much for the information given.

I am delighted at finding when Alfred Greatbatch became a Barrister at law. I believe that now narrows the field to a period of six years as to his arrival in India. The Gale 19th Century newspaper collection seems a great source for research.

And yes that is my Frederick Gover - he was a school master all his years in New Zealand.

whiteKat

Gover (Chatham Kent) Ashwin (Worcestershire)Wheeler (Worcestershire) Copson (Warwickshire) Harvey (St Just Cornwall to 1850 - and then Australia) Peters (Mold Flintshire) Mundy (Hampshire)

Offline AndrewBarkla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am very interested in the Kent Greatbatch families, and as you seem to have done some work on them you may be able to help me out a bit. My great great great grandfather was William Greatbatch born in Chatham in 1810 (maybe the William who was a witness at Anne's wedding?). His parents were William and Elizabeth Greatbatch and he had a brother Isaac. I thought the Anne Greatbatch who married Thomas Gover might be his sister but it seems you have information that she was born in Stoke - though maybe her parents moved from there to Chatham before William and Isaac were born. There is some connection, though, because I have a letter written in 1874 from William to his daughter Ettie which refers to Anna Gover, evidently Anne and Thomas's daughter, going on a day out "with two other neices".
There must also be a connection with John and Elizabeth Greatbatch who had several children at Chatham between 1799 and 1813, including another Isaac and a Mary Ann who might well be the other witness at the wedding. John (1770-1814) was a Sergeant-Major in the Marines at Chatham.

There are a few other tantalizing clues to relationships in William's letters which I am trying to make sense of.

If you can throw any light on these families I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Andrew

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 August 14 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew,
I am really excited. I do believe that we share William Greatbatch 1779 - 1838 as one of our ancestors. This William is my 3rd Great Grandfather. Your William 1810 is my 2nd Great Grand Uncle. And I do believe that your William is my Ann's brother and that William and Elizabeth are their parents. My research tells me that William 1779 married Elizabeth Heath on 2 August 1801 at Saint Giles, Newcastle Under Lyme, Stafford, England. Source Citation: Place: Newcastle-under-Lyne, Staffordshire, England; Collection: St Giles; Date Range: 1754 - 1837; Film Number: 1040775. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any other facts about Elizabeth Heath however. 

I have done quite a bit of research on my Ann who married Thomas Gover in 1829 at St Mary's in Chatham and yes I agree that it would be most likely your William was the witness at Ann and Thomas's wedding.

It would appear that after William and Elizabeth married they ventured down to Chatham sometime between when Ann was born in 1803 and William in 1810. I cannot find any siblings between 1803 and 1810. I have found at least three other children Izaac, Harriet - who were Baptised on the same day in 1813 - then Elizabeth who was baptised in 1816. Does that compare with your findings?

I have wondered about the John and Elizabeth Greatbatch having a connection with William and Elizabeth but have found nothing concrete - maybe John and William 1779 were brothers. It seems there could well have been a close family connection between John and William. Ann and Mary Ann could have been cousins since Mary Ann was witness to Thomas and Ann's wedding!  In Ann Gover's Index of Will Administration William her brother is mentioned as living in Fortress Terrace Kentish Town. Is he your William? I am pleased to learn of John's occupation as Seargent Major in the Marines - it puts more of a face to the people. In Pigot's 1824 Directory it has William Greatbatch in Military Road Chatham under Earthenware, China and Glass Dealers. That fits well with him coming from Staffordshire.

I am very interested in the letters you mention. Yes Ann and Thomas had a daughter Anna Maria but I can't find a daughter to William called Effie! Was that her full name? I would love to hear more of the letters if you wished. I find this all so fascinating. If I can help in any other way I am more than happy to do so.

Regards

Kate

Offline AndrewBarkla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 August 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Cousin!

Thank you, that is very interesting and tells me a lot that I didn't know. It will be a few days before I have time to sit down and gather all the informatin I have and send you a proper reply but I will certainly do that and send you the two letters I have from William to Ettie (Esther Lilwall Greatbatch born 1853) who was my great great grandmother.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Offline whiteKat

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 August 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
Yes I suppose we are cousins!

Ah and Effie was Esther  - that makes sense now!  Do you know much about William 1779? I have found what I believe is his Death Record! I can pass that on too if you wish. I look forward to seeing the letters as well, but when you have time.

You are probably aware that after three posts you can message by Personal Mail on this site. Through that if you wish I could give you my email address - it may be easier in posting the letters.

Regards

Kate