Author Topic: Surname Freney  (Read 4872 times)

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Surname Freney
« on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone on here was researching the surname Frenay or Freney.

The reason I ask is because of the following........some background info.
My great great grandparents were Peter Murphy and Johanna?

Their daughter Annie Murphy married a John McBride in Philadelphia in 1889. They had one child......Mary McBride born in 1890. Annie died not long after Mary's birth on September 10, 1890. She was 25 years old at her death so born about 1865.

On Annie's death record it says she was English but with a name like Murphy it's a bit doubtful but you never know.

I know Annie's parents because someone on RC kindly found a obituary from a Philadelphia newspaper. 

No Headline (Mortuary Notice)
Date: 1890-09-13; Paper: Philadelphia Inquirer, published as: The Philadelphia Inquirer
McBride- On the 10th inst., Annie, wife of John McBride, Jr., and daughter of Johanna and the late Peter Murphy, aged 25 years. The relatives and friends of the family are respectively invited to attend the funeral on Saturday morning at 8:30 o'clock, from her late residence 2527 Benner's Avenue. High mass at St. Elizabeth's Church.

I've looked for Annie with her parents in the census but so far I haven't found them in either the USA or England/Wales/Scotland.

I've looked through various BMD databases and the only marriage I can find so far for Peter and Johanna that is even remotely close is the following:

Parish Marriage Record
District/Parish - Rosbercon. Co. Kilkenny
Groom: Peter Murphy, Garrandara, Roman Catholic
Bride: Johanna Freney,  Garrandara, Roman Catholic
Witnesses: Walter Long and Margaret Murphy

I found one child on FamilySearch:

Name:    Patrick Murphy
Birth Date:    12 Mar 1870
Birthplace:    Kilkenny, Ireland
Father's Name:    Peter Murphy
Mother's Name:    Johanna Franey
Indexing Project (Batch) Number:    C01405-4
System Origin:    Ireland-ODM
GS Film number:    101203

I might be way off track but it's the only firm lead I have found after a lot of research.

Do the names Peter Murphy and Johanna Franey twig with anyone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

mab

Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Freney
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
A few points about Irish records (in case Annie was born there or her parents married there)- civil reigstration of births, deaths & Catholic marriages started in 1864 (from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages). Before these dates you need a location (parish in not actual townland) to see if any church records exist. Annie's birth (c1865) is around the start of registration so there might not be a birth certificate for her. If the family was Catholic, as I suspect, then her parents marriage might not be in the civil index either.

However, there are LOTS of Irish people living in England and Salford is no exception so there's no reason why Annie couldn't be English. Have you traced her daughter Mary in all possible records to see what census lists as country of birth, death certificate gives date and place of birth, etc.?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 February 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Annie's death certificate is available on LDS site- gives her born 1864 England and age 26, died from pneumonia with heart failure (parents not listed), buried Holy Cross Cemetery. Have you contacted the cemetery to see what information they might have in their files?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J69G-GNT

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 February 14 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Annie's death certificate is available on LDS site- gives her born 1864 England and age 26, died from pneumonia with heart failure (parents not listed), buried Holy Cross Cemetery. Have you contacted the cemetery to see what information they might have in their files?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J69G-GNT

Yes I have this info as well as the receipt for digging her grave. Someone has done the research at the cemetery for me and she was buried without a headstone. I got a lot of help on the USA forum. I have pretty well done the McBrides to death and gotten absolutely no where :)

He did have a sister Mary who emigrated to the US and I have found her manifest etc but as she never married it's hard to pin her down in the census. I have posted about her too.

I could get a copy of their marriage in Philadelphia but I have been told that it may not give any parents or place of birth and at $40 it seems like an expensive pursuit for no info.

Mary McBride was sent back to Ireland to be raised by relatives. I think I found her in the 1901 census except that they say that she was born in Donegal. I'm willing to overlook that as she lived there from infancy until she was 14/15. By 1911 she is in Glasgow married.

The most maddening thing is that if I had the 1890 census of the US I might be able to find John McBride and his daughter. It might not help at all but at least I'd know if they were living alone or with relatives  :-[

I'm hoping someone might recognize the Murphy/Frenay connection. I'm sure they must have had more children.

mab

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 February 14 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Remember that the extracted Irish records you are looking at (Patrick Murphy's birth, etc.) are not complete and start in 1864. It's entirely possible that Peter Murphy & Johanna Franey could have had other children born before 1864.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 February 14 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I have actually been very lucky with other family on my husband's side in Kilkenny...specially in Kilkenny City. It's really hit or miss. I found one marriage in 1835 and all the resulting children. But sadly not for Peter and Johanna.

mab

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 February 14 23:48 GMT (UK) »
When searching for Annie in English census records did you consider she could have been named Johanna after her mother? I think I saw a Peter & Johanna Murphy with daughter Johanna the right age earlier but didn't jot down the reference.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 February 14 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Good thought :) I'll go back and look again.

mab

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 February 14 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I did find one family in Lancashire but the child was born 1860-61. Could be them but I don't really think so.

My mum was called Annie after her grandmother Annie (Murphy) McBride.

I also have found the marriage license for John McBride to Annie Murphy in 1889.

If her name was Johanna why wouldn't she use that when she got married?..... and then Annie was used on her death and burial records.

To be honest I don't think I'll ever find the answer  :P

mab