Author Topic: Nicholsons from Sligo  (Read 6719 times)

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann McShane looking for ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholsons from Sligo
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 November 11 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I don't know when they left Sligo, i have notes of children being born in Glasgow but no dates of what happened in between. There was i believe 2 sisters who went to the states and i have been trying to trace information of them also on other posts. I have only their first names as i believe they married but don't know their married names. I have several pictures of them. They had strong connections to the child actress Shirley Temple as she is in most of the pics, i was told she was related too but i don't know how that would be .. still trying to work that one out. The pics have been good clues because i can see the age of Shirley in them so i can track where she was at that age so it gives me a probable area. I have no idea how you are so quick at this, i'm confused already and only been at it days lol
Nicholson with ancestors going back to Sligo. Nicholsons who went to California, names will be different now due to marriage.
Also McShane parent Henry McShane

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 November 11 13:32 GMT (UK) »
You need to build a picture from the information you have.

For example, you have their parents names which you didn't mention.
You have dates from Glasgow which will help you in the broader time line.
Have you tried to follow these in Scottish records:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nowel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 November 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
There is a book - Nicholson - by Revd. Nigel Nicholson, containing over 400 trees of Nicholson families throughout the world including some from Sligo. Details of the contents can be found at The Nicholson Family Library. -
www.nicholsonlibrary.net
Weldon - Waterford.
Smale, Small - Sussex, Kent.
Treacy - Waterford, U.K, New York. South Africa
Van Eesbeck - Waterford, Limerick, Belgium, U.S
Purcell -  Kilkenny, Waterford
Flood - Waterford.
O'Neill - Waterford, Kilkenny, Wexford.
Nicholson - Waterford

Offline marymac72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mary Ann McShane looking for ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 November 11 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Exciting, thank you. That'll be a must have :)

I'm going to have to get a little more organised, i hadn't expected there to be quite so much work involved so the little note pad isn't quite doing the job.

Most enjoyable :)

Nicholson with ancestors going back to Sligo. Nicholsons who went to California, names will be different now due to marriage.
Also McShane parent Henry McShane

Offline francis1888

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 July 13 22:14 BST (UK) »
Hi I am related to William Nicholson and Elizabeth Hegerty from Sligo, they had a son John Nicholson who is my great granddad, who moved to Dumbarton in Scotland.  He married Mary McGowan (who was also from Ireland) in 1888 in Dumbarton.  The moved to Govan, in Glasgow where my granddad Michael was born in 1897.  I know of one sister being sent to America, her name was Bridget. I am creating a family tree and have additional information about the family in Scotland and would like to share any information.  I have little information about the family from Ireland and the sisters from America.