Author Topic: Hanley-carrowmacbryan  (Read 9019 times)

Offline sligohanley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hanley-carrowmacbryan
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 November 14 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I believe your message was for Heywood regarding info@irishgraveyards.ie
But Thank you! I am so excited to say that I initially had no luck searching Hanley. But ,when I typed in Hanly. I found my Great Grandfather Thomas Hanley's grave ( which is spelt Hanley) but the search is under other spelling. His death is correct 1928 and his wife Bridget's 1944 ( they spelt Bridghet) and the gravestone lists my Grandfather too! interred in the US. death 1945, Aug 3 ,so that confirms his correct date of death ( as I guestimated 1939 wrongly) . The stone says erected by...? but it couldn't be my Grandfather William , because the stone is erected posthumously 1945? (unless the inscription of William was added later?  Next to the grave stone is another, so old it is illegible.. but the photo shows a cement wall attaching the two, perhaps a family plot. I feel much better that they have a place of rest, that one day.. I hope to visit with my family. I will contact the cemetery . Perhaps they can help me read the stone and tell me more. Thank you!!! I would have learned none of these things were it not for you.

Offline TaylorEaskey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 November 14 12:49 GMT (UK) »
hi

I will see if i can read headstone for you .with regards william he had a great shot  known as one shot william .daniel never married and sold his farm to a neighbour in case, i didnt give you the generation before. here goes  margaret dob 3 april 1872, ann dob16 september 1874,thomas dob 27 march 1867, patrick 29 june 1870,margaret dob 2 december 1865, something on the ormsby side of your family.newspaper 14 february 1953 western people. easkey man wins prize in greater new york bay mr pat ormsby from carrowmacbrine easkey co sligo was  the winner of a prize value 1,029 (irish pounds) in a fishing competition in new jersey usa . the prize a sweepstakes pool of 3087 dollars was won in a cod fishing contest, when the easkey man landed a 27lb 9oz fish taken on the farms in greater new york bay mr ormsby lives with his family 37 w. 14st..bayonne new jersey                                   

hope the is of some use
pat

Offline sligohanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 November 14 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat
I can't believe a stranger would be so kind an share so much time !
I am truly humbled.
Re the newspaper article that was my cousin John Ormsbys dad. My cousin John said that wAs front page news! Is like to go fish in that bay! He bought a car with his winnings cousin Johns father fought for the free state with my grandfather William . There is a story that the Black and Tans came looking for pat Ormsby and he hid in bed between his mother and grandmother. This prevented his arrest though cousin John says it not something that could be repeated in front of his father as decorum was different in those times.
I don't know who Patrick and Margaret were on Hanley side ( more siblings of William and Daniel ?)
Cousin John said " one shot " probably refers to the issuance of one bullet and one gun. That is so wonderful what you shared regarding my grandfather. I was so happy that he didn't disappear from memory and without a trace. Much of what I know of him is due to you. I don't know how to Thank you again. If there is anything that I can do from the states please ask. God bless you Pat for your kindness and time give. To complete strangers.

Offline sligohanley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 November 14 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Pat I forgot to reply to your question.
I found my grandmothers Mass card . The mass was held nov 30, 1975 so her passing was probably 3 days earlier at least. I attended the funeral as a child.
I also found her brother Matthew's Mass card dated April 13, 1976 . My father handled both their arrangements Uncle Matt was a kind sweet soul. Never married and no children so he treated us wonderfully .
Catherine Ormsby Hanley's burial was through John j Barrett & son funeral home w. 51st ny ny
Matt's was @ Walter b cook, ny
Regarding Ormsby my uncle christy ( my dad Williams brother) stayed in Bayone with the Ormsbys when he came to America. He had no children or married. We lived him but , he was ornery back in Ireland where he stayed with my grandmothers sister and daughter ( mary Doherty ) he gave us many laughs but, what a rascal to the very end! He loved the dance halls in Woodside queens ny. I still have to locate his Mass card . He passed in the 1990's . My father and I were with him. He always thought immigration was after him to return him to Ireland in his last days.