Author Topic: Stalking my ol' Granny  (Read 4583 times)

Offline OchAyeTheNoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stalking my ol' Granny
« on: Sunday 04 March 12 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roots Chatters,

I found out that my Grandma used to work at Tulliallan Fabrics for many years when she was a lass, before she emigrated to New Zealand in the 1930s.  I have searched archive catalogues online and can't find much of that vintage for Tulliallian Fabrics - I'd like to know if their old records are in a library somewhere or something like that, or if there are any local history groups etc I could get in touch with.

Does the Clackmannan or Alloa Library have a local photo archive that may include pictures of working conditions there?  I suppose it would be easy enough for me to email and ask them that, wouldn't it!  I will do that.

Thanks,
OchAye
Dunbar - Heugh
Perth - Costadasi
Clackmannan - Sinclair

Offline Alvagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Copied from an ambrotype of unidentified ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Stalking my ol' Granny
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 13 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello OchAyeTheNoo

Kincardine (not to be confused with County of Kincardineshire in NE Sc) is in County of Fife, on the banks of the (Firth of) Forth over which the Kincardine [road] Bridge was built in 1930s, and a few years ago the Clackmannanshire Bridge was built which makes Kincardine a much quieter place.  Tulliallan is a placename in outskirts of wee Kincardine, they have a cemetery with restored old gravestones, improved by volunteers.

Dunfermline is in Fife.
Anr neighbouring parish is Clackmannanshire, "The Wee County", to NE, main town of late being Alloa. The north of Parish is sheltered by the Ochils (hills) over which sheep were driven then shorn & fleeces sent to mills of the Hillfoots Villages, and it was weel kent for this, several firms & families incl notably Paton, Cochrane, Johnstone etc.  So Tulliallan may be a name of either a firm based in Kincardine, or in the Hillfoots.  Some sort of company records exist if you google.

YES, there are local history/ family websites eg  www.rocinante.demon.co.uk/klhg/klhgindx.htm is the website for Kincardine-on-Forth Local History Group.  Clackmannanshire Field Studies Group can be found at http://www.cfss.org.uk.

Both of these, and other websites & info can be found thru Clackmannanshire Council excellent website at www.clacksweb.org.uk.  The library & archives are in a state of flux of late, but helpful as aye.  I was last week in touch with the archivist at Clacks Council who was most helpful & prompt in searching on TOMA* events in the (currently) inaccessible card index to local newspapers so that I could look these up in Sauchie library on microfilm.

Hope this helps
Alvagirl in the Hillfoots
* TOMAs of Cowdenbeath who not yet linked to your Angelo Toma & COSTADASI/ LEONARDI of Dunfermline, then Alloa
* Castiglione Vara, La Spezia, Liguria is in the mix.
Aberdeenshire: GARDEN, BEATTIE, DUNN, DAVIDSON, BRAIK, JAFFRAY; JAMIESON, THOM, HAY, SCOTT
Morayshire: MACKAY, MURRAY, KENNEDY, ROSS, SMITH, MILNE; MORRISON, STEWART, PENNY, DEAN, McCONNACHIE