Author Topic: Gavin Paterson/Provost of Hamilton/Lochside House  (Read 6688 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Paterson/Provost of Hamilton/Lochside House
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 March 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Looking at a post of Rodeo's elsewhere, Lochside Cottage sounds to be/have been substantial?

There’s also this item from the Glasgow Herald, Friday, February 29, 1856.
To Let at Hamilton, Lochside Cottage, consisting of Eight Apartments, with Offices and large Garden. Apply, in Hamilton, to Bailie Paterson; or to Mr. Gavin Paterson, 61 Virginia street, Glasgow.

Also:

The 1856 advertisment re Lochside Cottage, and subsequent ones, I have. William (Bailie) Paterson lived in Tuphall Road, Hamilton, but owned several properties including Lochside House and Lochside Cottage. The Gavin Paterson mentioned, with offices at 61 Virginia Street, Glasgow, was my GG uncle, Gavin Paterson, later Provost of Hamilton, who lived in Lochside House and let Lochside Cottage. Provost Gavin Paterson's son, Gavin Paterson (architect) inherited Lochside House and lived there with his family for some years. Both Lochside House and Lochside Cottage were subsequently demolished but I don't know when. All I know is that neither currently exist.

www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15628

We wait for you Rodeo.... ::) ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craig Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 March 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
That's fantastic Monica, I'm just looking into as much about the property as I can. We moved in about 8 years ago and over the years I've often wondered about who would have lived here? As you say it would have been a big old house in its time however is was split into two in the 60's and we live in the upper floor. It's what's called an upper conversion. The last family to own the complete house and carry out the conversion were the Brown's and the son of which went on to be a sucesful football manager by the name of Craig Brown. He managed the Scotland innternation team. I also noticed in other sites that Rodeo thought the property was now demolished. We'll if we are all talking about the same   place I can assure its still here.

Craig.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 March 14 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica and Craig

Wow! How exciting to read your posts re Lochside Cottage, which I was told (on more than one occasion) no longer exists. It would have been wonderful to see Lochside Cottage when we were in Hamilton a few years ago. Apparently, it was so called because of its proximity to a curling pond.

When Provost Gavin Paterson died in 1889, his widow (second wife) occupied Lochside House for a few years before moving to Annat House, 53 Bothwell Road, Hamilton, where she died in 1931.

Gavin Paterson (architect) inherited Lochside House, which he occupied from at least 1911 until his death there in 1934.

The 1911 census shows the occupants of Lochside Cottage as Archibald Blyth, 71, Colliery Manager, wife Mary, 66, and daughters, Elspeth, Agnes, Catharine and Jane.

It's interesting that the last owners of Lochside Cottage were the Brown family, as Gavin Paterson's wife was Isabella Simpson Brown. Presumably, they were her relations.

Yes, I do have some photos of Gavin Paterson, architect, which I'd be happy to forward to you. Gavin Paterson's son, Lennox Dundas Paterson, was also a well-known architect and partner in his father's firm.

It seems that Lochside Cottage was adjacent to Lochside House. Is Lochside House still extant?

Which property was at 5 Bent Road -- Lochside House or Lochside Cottage?

Do you have any historical or current photos of Lochside Cottage, Craig?

Terrific find that painting of Provost Gavin Paterson, Monica, which I hadn't seen, although I do have an etching of him. Thanks so much for that.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 March 14 05:09 GMT (UK) »
In the 1861 census, Gavin Paterson senior and family resided at Lochside Cottage, Bent Road, where his son, Gavin Paterson, architect, was born.

The 1871 and 1881 censuses show Gavin Paterson senior and family domiciled at Lochside House, Bent Road.

According to the 1885 Valuation Rolls, Provost Gavin Paterson owned 30 properties, including Lochside House, Lochside Cottage and the Commercial Hotel in Townhead St.

As I mentioned previously, Gavin Paterson’s widow, children and stepchildren were living in Lochside House in the 1891 census.

The 1905, 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls show Gavin Paterson, architect, as proprietor and occupier of Lochside House, Bent Road.

However, it seems that Lochside Cottage was sold between 1895 and 1905. The 1905, 1915 and 1920 Valuation Rolls cite the proprietor of Lochside Cottage as Bent Colliery Company Ltd, 127 St. Vincent St., Glasgow, and the tenant is Archibald Blyth, Colliery Manager, who was still the occupant in the 1911 census.

I'm very curious to know how you learned, Craig, that the house you're now living in was previously known as Lochside Cottage.

Cheers,

Rodeo

Offline Craig Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 March 14 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rodeo,

My Wife used to work in the Registers of Scotland office and acquired some detail of the property when we moved in. See attached Register.
You can also go to http://maps.nls.uk/view/74479127 which shows a Map of Hamilton circa 1854 and the house is clearly identified as Lochside Cottage. I have also attached a zoomed copy which also defines the Pond you mention.
I have also attached a screen dump of the house today from Google Map.

I apologise for this quick mail back as I’m on my lunch break.
I'll get in touch later tonight when I have more time.

Best Regards.

Craig.

Offline Craig Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Rodeo,

As I said before my Wife used to work in the Land Register and was able to get loads of information on the property but unfortunately I'm having trouble trying to attach to this forum post due to it exceeding the size limit. It shows the owners over the years from around  1920 on wards. My Wife tells me that it was not unusual for older properties to have lots of information missing due to bad record keeping pre 1900. As you say the first entry (1920) shows that the Bent Colliery Company as being the owner. It also shows that the house was originally named Lochside Cottage and this is marked out and hand written Lochside Villa. I wonder if the family actually moved house or if it was a name change that flags up the change. The reason I think this it that it seems very odd to move to another house in the same street with a very similar name. Also if as you say they move across the road it would be to a smaller house. This may very well be the case though. These houses are also still here. I would be more than happy to forward this document to you but I think i may need your e-mail address to send.
I also found an 1854 map of Hamilton online that shows the house being named Lochside Cottage and sits close by to the Curling Pound that you also mention. If you follow the link you can see the house on the south side of the town and can correspond the surrounding street names and road plans with existing google map detail. The two houses shown either side on the 1854 map are still standing too. Go to http://maps.nls.uk/view/74479127 for the 1854 map.
My house is 4A bent Road. As I say previously the house was split in two in the 1960's and I live in the top half, what would have been the bedrooms..... I presume.
I would love to see and photographs you have of Gavin Paterson Jnr as I find this all very fascinating.

Best Regards.

Craig

Offline Craig Davidson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 March 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I can also send some picture of the house (upstairs only) if you like? I'll need to tidy up though :)
The room we use as our living room has all the original features still in place. Beautiful cornicing, bay window and an extended height domed ceiling.  It would have been some room back in the day it is was the master bedroom.

Craig.

Offline Rodeo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Craig

I've sent you a PM (personal message).

Cheers,

Rodeo

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Wow, great background there Craig. How lucky you are that your wife worked where she did and managed to gather all the material she did!

Rodeo, how exciting this must be for you after all this time  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk