Author Topic: Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire  (Read 18829 times)

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kenneth McLean who ended up in Loftus Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Baygil...

(and thank you MisterMc for posting that comprehensive reply.)

I will continue on the McRae side of things to see if there is a link with any Mcleans in the Inverness area prior to Donald's marriage to Sarah Mcrae and to see if this leads to the original Kenneth's birthplace.
I would love some copies too if that would be ok with you,

Woodvillecaz.

Offline baygil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mistermc and Woodvillecas,
Thank you for your replies.
As I said my link comes in through Kenneth who married Ann Best although it's not actually a direct one.  However, I linked up some years ago with a descendant who is. We both connect through Kenneth's son James who was born in 1823 and married Mary Wilson in Whitby.  I think from your posts you have all the dates but any that you are missing I can let you have. James and Mary had a daughter Ann and two sons James and Kenneth. James married a sister of my g.g.grandmother and is my link to the McLeans and Kenneth married Sarah Richardson which is where, who is now a friend, comes in.  We had a short holiday together a few years ago, visiting Loftus, Whitby and area and two visits to Teesside Archives.  Actually, the photo of Alexander McLean's headstone that you posted looks like the one that we took on this visit.  The documents mentioning Alexander, Kenneth and Donald are too large to scan in, 4 sheets of A3 for each document, but we may be able to find a way round it.
I became particularly interested in Donald and found a number of articles in the old newspapers about him, including one where he opened the Dornoch Light Railway in 1902. There's a photo which Donald must be on but I've no idea who he is so yes please to a copy of the one you have and also one of the Kenneth 1849.  I do have a subscription to Ancestry.
Funny your dad threatening to go to Scotland, we considered that but decided it would be something of a wild goose chase without something more concrete to go on.  I've always wondered if it's why Donald ended up in Scotland or if it was just co-incidence. If you are on Ancestry you will have seen the WW1 Service Record for Kenneth McLean born 1884, the Pharmacist/Chemist from Harrogate.

I have to admit that lots of my information from the Archives is still in the form of notes, I never seem to get the time to get it all on the computer. Family commitments at the moment take up a lot of time. I don't know if theres a way to contact you directly as I'm not very good at the technical side and would find it much easier to send you images etc directly if possible. I'm new to Rootschat and don't know what's persmiible and what isn't.
Kenneth and James both ended up in what is now Hartlepool and I have information on their families but not sure jst how much you would like. Anyway, just let me know and I'll help where I can.

Regards,
Baygil

Offline mistermc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi baygil

Thanks for coming back.  My email is ross75 at gmail dot com (you'll need to put that together in email format as I think this site will block whole email addresses).  We can then communicate with woodvillecaz too via email.

If you have a digital camera then that might be the best way to "photocopy" the A3 documents.  I work in internet technologies and design so will be able to piece together several photos if need be.  Either way, I'm more than willing to help with what I can so please do ask.

I'm sure you'll be able to ID Donald in the photo from the picture I have.  I seem to remember something to the effect that he opened the railway on behalf of the Duke who was indisposed...or something.

Interestingly the Kenneth you mention, b 1884 - the Chemist from Harrogate is my Great Grandfather and it is this Kenneth from which my photo of Donald comes (via my Great Uncle).  He was injured in WW1 but managed to re-open his pharmacy for a bit but succumbed to legacy trench fever and malignant endocarditis in 1922.  I have a photo of him too with my grandfather from about 1921.

Look forward to hearing from you via email when you have the time.

mistermc

Offline daviddas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 15:54 GMT (UK) »
I am new to this site and looking for help around the McLean family that were in Loftus in the late 1700's. Kenneth McLean born around 1752 in Scotland is my great, great, great , great grandfather through his son Kenneth born 1792 his George born 1829 his William Kenneth born in 1852, my grandad John Burdon McLean born 1887 and my Mum Jean born 1923 and still alive aged 90. Anyone with connections and information on the family? 

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daviddas,
Do you know if your relatives were in Loftus? Where was your Kenneth in 1792 born? We have a family tree but not sure if this is your family.
Woodvillecaz

Offline daviddas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply woodvillecaz. Yes the Kenneth born in 1792 was in Loftus and he married Ann Best. And later Johanna Jackson. From the first marriage one of the children was George born in 1829 who is my great great grandfather. George married Barbara Taylor and one of their children was William Kenneth in 1852 who married Margaret Green. One of their children was John Burdon McLean who was my grandad and he married twice. From his second marriage to Lilian Scott they had my Mum Jean in 1923. She married a Smith hence myself and my brother. I have done quite a bit of digging but could not get further back on the original Kenneth born 1752.
Are we from the same family somewhere along the line?

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daviddas,
This is exciting. We have the same ancestors! I haven't been able to find out where the original Kenneth Mclean, born approx 1752, was born. How did you find out he was born in Scotland and where was he born? Am in touch with others in the tree and they hope to reply to you as well.

Offline daviddas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:03 GMT (UK) »
To be honest I am not sure where I picked up the Scotland link for the first Kenneth as I haven't any actual information to say that is correct. I certainly cannot find anything about him prior to Loftus but he does not appear to be from there.
We live in Buckinghamshire but amazing to think my Mum is within 25 miles of Loftus and my grandparents were from Stockton and Scarborough. Until I started the family tree Mum didn't know anything about these links at all.

Offline woodvillecaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daviddas,
It is so amazing when you start to look into your family history and it must be lovely for your mum. I cannot get further back than Kenneth's marriage and so am sure he must be from somewhere other than Loftus but can't find out where. There are no McLeans in the records or gravestones prior to them.