Author Topic: macdonalds of clachnaharry  (Read 4068 times)

Offline edward fraser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
macdonalds of clachnaharry
« on: Thursday 19 December 13 02:39 GMT (UK) »
hello I'm seeking some assistance , I have hit a bit of a brick wall I can trace my ancestors back six generation's so far , nearly all of them born in or around Clachnaharry ... I am desperate to know which branch of Macdonalds they belong to , plus a couple of other questions... I don't know if it is permissible but I can give access to my family tree if it makes it easier rather than write a long winded request to anyone who can assist... any help will be much appreciated thank you , Edward... :)

Offline edward fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: macdonalds of clachnaharry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 December 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
hello I'm seeking some assistance , I have hit a bit of a brick wall I can trace my ancestors back six generation's so far , nearly all of them born in or around Clachnaharry ... I am desperate to know which branch of Macdonalds they belong to , plus a couple of other questions... I don't know if it is permissible but I can give access to my family tree if it makes it easier rather than write a long winded request to anyone who can assist... any help will be much appreciated thank you , Edward... :)
hello again  :) My family tree goes something like this , Jane Macdonald 1894 - 1985 my paternal grandmother, her parent's were William Macdonald 1865-1943 (m) Elizabeth Mcleod 1873-1956 they had 7 children in total... William's parent's were William Macdonald 1828-1907 (m) Christina Mckenzie 1831 they had 4 children in total... William 1828 parent's were Sween Macdonald 1791-1861 (m) Isabella Macintosh1795-1836 they had10 children in total... Sween 1791 parent's were John Macdonald 1767-1808 (m) Isabella Corbat -Corbie (d)1808 they had 4 children in total... John 1767 parent's were Sween Macdonald 1742-1828 (m) Janet Mckay 1739-1811 they had 8 children in total... I am still looking for Sween 1742 parent's (possibly a John Macdonald 1707) & which Clan  Branch of Macdonald's they came from ... A Merry Xmas In Advance Edward  :) :)

Offline edward fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 14 05:06 GMT (UK) »
hello again  :) My family tree goes something like this , Jane Macdonald 1894 - 1985 my paternal grandmother, her parent's were William Macdonald 1865-1943 (m) Elizabeth Mcleod 1873-1956 they had 7 children in total... William's parent's were William Macdonald 1828-1907 (m) Christina Mckenzie 1831 they had 4 children in total... William 1828 parent's were Sween Macdonald 1791-1861 (m) Isabella Macintosh1795-1836 they had10 children in total... Sween 1791 parent's were John Macdonald 1767-1808 (m) Isabella Corbat -Corbie (d)1808 they had 4 children in total... John 1767 parent's were Sween Macdonald 1742-1828 (m) Janet Mckay 1739-1811 they had 8 children in total... I am still looking for Sween 1742 parent's (possibly a John Macdonald 1707) & which Clan  Branch of Macdonald's they came from ... A Merry Xmas In Advance Edward  :) :)
Hello further information that may help , Sween Macdonald 1742 & his wife Janet Mckay 1739 according to monumental inscriptions booklet are both buried at the Kirkton Of Bunchrew Burial Ground... Also their son John Macdonald 1767 & his wife Isabella Corbet are buried there also... Further Sween senior on his son Donald's birth in 1776 was noted as "carpenter in Clachnaharry Inverness".... All the males I have traced & including my father were carpenter / boat builders.... edward :)

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 June 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Edward,

How did you get on in tracing where your MacDonald's originated?

I'm curious because I've just discovered my g-g-grandmother Jane MacDonald was born in Inverness in 1865. Her mother Jane MacDonald was from Clachnaharry, and her grandfather was a Clachnaharry ship carpenter called James MacDonald (1816-1881) m. Ann MacKay (1817-1880).
James MacDonald's father John MacDonald was also a ship carpenter from Clachnaharry. His wife was named Jane Grigor or MacGregor.

It may just be a coincidence that we both have Clachnaharry boat building MacDonald ancestors, but I wonder if there is a connection. I still have much research to do to catch up. Do you think my John MacDonald might be related to your folk?

Thanks,
Alasdair

Offline The Mountie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I think you should be looking towards Glencoe.
The book Clan Iain Abrach by David McDonald might help

Offline Alasdairmac21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the book suggestion.

Interesting to read about your Kirkhill Macdonald ancestors. Some of my Clachnaharry Macdonalds were buried at Kirkton of Bunchrew, including Sween Macdonald b. 1741 d. 1828, married to Janet Mackay. I have at least three Sween Macdonalds in my tree. Fascinating to hear of your MacQueen alias!