Author Topic: Alexander Cameron: Kilmonivaig  (Read 7694 times)

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Alexander Cameron: Kilmonivaig
« on: Sunday 02 February 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm searching for the death certificate of Alexander Cameron born c1785-1790 in the parish of Kilmonivaig. Alexander married Catherine (Kate) MacPhee in 1814 when he was living in Camisky. Some of their early children are born in Glen Pean.

I've found them in the censuses for 1841-1861 living at Liandally, Kilmonivaig. Kate dies in 1866 and she is recorded as the wife of Alexander, which implies he is still alive. There is no trace of him after this date. I've searched Scotlandspeople without success. Others have searched too but no-one can find his death details. I've searched the gravestones in old Kilmallie cemetry where some of their children are buried but again no luck.

As some of their children lived near Liandally the chances are that Alex continued to live in Liandally or in the same area.

Any ideas on where to try next?

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Cameron: Kilmonivaig
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 February 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
hi could this be him1871 census

alexander Cameron age 80 born kilmonivaig  occ,labourer
alexander McDonald age 48 son in law
janet McDonald  daughter age 50
john McDonald grandson age 5

address bunarkaig kilmallie

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 February 14 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for checking Doran. Unfortunately that's not him. He didnt have a daughter Janet. I think the Alex that you list, is living at Clunes Farm in 1851 when 'my Alex' was living at Liandally.

Offline delwynhyslop

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 15 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie. I can't offer help regarding your question, but wish to ask you if you know where Liandally Farm was located? I think my great great great great grandfather lived there in 1841 and would love to know where it was.

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Delwynhyslop,

Liandally is to the south of Spean Bridge on the east side of the River Lochy down from Kilmonivaig farm. I know I've got a map somewhere showing the tack of Liandally & Kilmonivaig but cant find it at the moment. I tried googlemaps to help describe it for you, but it doesn't come up. Try googling Brackletter (neighbouring crofting township) then Kilmonivaig - and googlemaps flag a B&B (ignore Kilmonivaig church which is not at Kilmonivaig township). Liandally is a little bit to the south of that B&B.
Who was your ancestor?
Annie

Offline Cam7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 March 17 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annie,  did you have any luck finding your Alex?
I have the exact same thing with my ancestor Samuel Cameron. He was born around the same time as your Alexander, married around the same time and lived and farmed in kilmonivaig. He is present on his daughters marriage cert in the 1830s and suddenly disappears off the face of the earth. I wonder if they were related?

Offline annie67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Cam,

I don't think your Samuel is related. Have you tried checking rental rolls for the township he lived in, that may help. Sometimes they note if someone has died and the tenancy is passed to someone else.
Annie