Author Topic: Aicherbeck listed on Birth registration Canonbie, Scotland  (Read 2423 times)

Offline KAJ58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aicherbeck listed on Birth registration Canonbie, Scotland
« on: Sunday 20 April 14 06:11 BST (UK) »
I have just found the birth registration for my GGGrand Mother and it reads William and Betty Jardine(s) Aicherbeck?? had an illegitimate daughter on 15 January 1812 from the OPR Births 814/0020 0252 Canonbie.

I am really interested if Aicherbeck is a house name/village or what?  If I can source this information I may be able to track down her father's information.  I know that Jannet's daughter, Elizabeth married Andrew Jardine who was her third cousin. So this information would help on both sides of the tree. 
Dunblane, Dumfrieshire, Annan, Canonbie, Brydekirk: Jardine, Harkness, Jeffray or Jeffery;
Renfrewshire, Greenock, Glasgow and maybe Ireland: Strain or strain, Harkin or Harkins, McGuire
Rockhampton: Johnson; Pollard; Smith
Mackay: Pershouse, Harbottle; Dunkley; Pitman; Hannam, Hanham; Whiteford; Hadden; Hutchinson

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aicherbeck listed on Birth registration Canonbie, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 April 14 07:53 BST (UK) »
Archer Beck is the name of a stream in the parish. Also the name of a small settlement (Archerbeck). You will find it if you look on the maps in the free National Library of Scotland maps website.

As for the s in "Jardines", it was normal, when two or more people shared the same surname, to add s.

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Aicherbeck listed on Birth registration Canonbie, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 April 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
Further to GR2's post, Archerbeck was a farmstead near the Archer Beck burn, according to the ScotlandsPlaces (subscription) website. A coalmine was also established there in the 1770s and coal working continued there until the 1940s.

Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart