Author Topic: Ellis Dudley born abt 1783 and Mary Blakeney born abt 1786, Skibbereen  (Read 12357 times)

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellis Dudley born abt 1783 and Mary Blakeney born abt 1786, Skibbereen
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 July 12 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary and Sonas,

First of all, many thanks for replying - it is really good of you and as always, I am extremely appreciative.

Sonas, you have brought to my attention something which is right at the centre of this issue; I never considered for a moment that the compositions of the dioceses would have changed. Please, where did you get this info from? This alters everything, because it now seems likely that they were indeed C of I and not RC and that I have been barking up the wrong tree! If it was not for you, then I would have continued in this. Can't tell you how grateful I am to you.

Mary, Another huge thank you for that wonderful info, especially re Guilford - this is a name which is in my family. Also, bearing in mind the crucial info that Sonas has imparted, I still think that the 1809 marriage might still be in Vol IV, the only difference is that the Diocese of Cork and Ross will be C of I and not RC.
It would be great if Casey confirms this.

Thanking you both once more,

Chris 

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 July 12 21:54 BST (UK) »

Hi Sonas & Chris,

I knew there were many changes in the Dioceses over the centuries but
not exactly the make up.  Thanks Sonas for that info.

It will be interesting to see what the OKief Coshe vol 4 has for us.

I am hoping to fit in the visit to the library tomorrow otherwise it will be
later in the week.

Will let you know what I come up with

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Went to the library and looked up the OKief Coshe Mang, vol 4 page 209  "Marriages, Diocese of Cork & Ross, Public records office Dublin,
Generally deficient in Roman Catholic Marriages prior to 1740"

It does confirm what you have -marriage   Mary Blakeney & Ellis Dudley for year 1809.  No other details.  All were in alphabetical order.

There were five other Blakeney marriages including one for a Sarah Blakeney to a
Wellington Dudley year 1837.

There were 22 other Dudley marriages.

One in particular might be of interest
Gulford Dudley m Rebecca Boddy  1807

In another section in volume 4 for marriage licences there was 4 Blakeney marriages
these were listed in date order under "B"

Robert Blakeney m Deborah Smith  1729
Robert Blakeney m Gertrude Blakeney  1752
William Blakeney m Gertrude Smith   1764
Blakeney  m Hafford                          1782

I checked the St Mary & St Anns church records again and found 7 Dudley marriages but none to Blakeney.

There was only one Blakeney baptism for a James Blakeney b. 2.6.1782
Parent's names  Henry Blakeney  & Honora Heas

There was 29 Dudley baptisms but no matching parents of Blakeney/Dudley.

I went back through the Quaker records again and found quite a few references to a Guilford Dudley ( you mentioned you had Guilford in your ancestors).
Cork Quaker marriage - 18.4.1811  Thomas Wright son of Wm & Mary to
Mary Dudley dau of Guilford and Mary married at Cork.
birth 12.8.1791 Mary Dudley dau of Guilford & Mary

A few extra deaths in addition to the list I gave you already -
 Cork Quaker Deaths
27.07.1805 Guilford Dudley husband of Mary
22.01.1812 Susanna Dudley  aged 45 & a half years
12.04.1818  Hannah Dudley aged 14 years of Blackrock Co Cork
5.2.1824     Mary aged 70 wife of Guilford
8.4.1827    William Dudley aged 18 years

Hope that's some help to you.

Mary
Celtic Liberty

Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
The fact that the PRO is mentioned and also just a Diocese rather than a parish, would make me think that the source of the Dudley/Blakeny entry relates to  some kind of marriage license index, rather than a primary source such as a parish register. Any marriage license indexes I've seen follow the same type of format - year (no month or day), names and diocese.

The comment about lacking RC marriages would back this up, as most licenses related to Church of Ireland marriages.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I can't say a big enough thank you for that - I really mean it when I say that I am humbled by all that you (and the other Rootschatters) have done for me. I've been after this marriage for years; I am totally obsessed by my family history - I cannot really put into words what it means to me. I was desperate to see if there was any more info in Casey and was very frustrated by not being able to get to a library with a copy of Casey in it. Thanks to you though, I can now rest easy on that score. Your exceptional kindness has also given me info that I just would not have been able to get - I am particularly interested in Guilford and Mary - I'm sure that they are 'mine' but can't work out exactly how. The last few days have really turned around what (I thought!) I knew - it really demonstrates what a wonderful thing Rootschat and Rootschatters are!

Thanking you once more,

Chris

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 19:57 BST (UK) »
+ 1 for what Shane says above. I thought in an earlier post someone had said they married in Skibbereen but think it is that they were both born there. There are C of I marriages for civil parish of Abbeystrewry back to 1785; Creagh from 1845.

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Many thanks for that - very interesting and very relevant. It was kind of you to let me know. Please, does anyone know if there is any more info to be had re this marriage license index; I'd be very grateful for any help/advice.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 20:18 BST (UK) »
These marriage license indexes dont give any further details, and I dont believe any of the actual licenses survive. Many of these entries relate to marriage records which no longer survive - probably a stroke of luck that this index survived if it was stored in the PRO during 1922.

The Church of Ireland Diocese of Cork & Ross would have included parts of the city, and most of the county to the west and south of the city. The same area as covered by the RC records on the IrishGenealogy website.

If there is an record of the marriage in a church register, it probably will not give very much additional details - likely just the date, names and not much else.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline kit54

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 31 July 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sonas and Shane,

Thanks again for your latest posts, which as usual, are full of really great info/advice - I am very grateful. It seems to me that I now need to start researching C of I records, particularly those for Abbeystrewry - I just hope that they will be available online!

Thanks again,

Chris