Author Topic: Mahoney family of Ross  (Read 2966 times)

Offline JohnElf

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mahoney family of Ross
« on: Wednesday 03 October 12 15:07 BST (UK) »
I have copies of three certificates of baptism in the Parish of Ross. They were provided by an uncle - now deceased. They relate to, John Mahoney, dob 4.7.1838 names of parents - Cornelius Mahoney and Mary Ahern. It seems the residence ?? was Gunanegaoleen ??

I have similar certificates for two brothers: James Mahoney dob 15.6.1845 and Cornelius Mahoney dob 22.6.1842.

I am attempting to see if this ties in with an ancestor, John Mahoney, whose marriage cert shows his age as 26 on marriage date of 12.1.1866 His father is shown as Cornelius Mahoney (Deceased) a labourer.

Be grateful for any thoughts/info anyone might have.

John

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mahoney family of Ross
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
Rosscarbery parish records are on www.irishgenealogy.ie. Results of quick search including some other children (some records not relevant and may have missed others)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0rjn/

The correct townland spelling is Garranagoleen.

Who did he marry in 1866 and where did they marry? What was the bride's father's name?

Offline JohnElf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sonas - I have a lot to learn about what records are available!

To answer you questions, the marriage was on 12 Jan 1866. Between John Mahoney, 26yrs, Bachelor, Collector of Rents, 40 Great Wild St, St Giles in the Fields, Father -  Cornelius Mahoney (deceased), Labourer AND Margaret Martin, 21yrs, Spinster, 52 Whitcomb St, St Martin in the Fields, Father - Bryant Martin, Greengrocer.

Marriage was at The Royal Bavarian Chapel, Warwick St, District of St james, Westminster. Witnesses were Richard Gaffney and 'the mark' of Mary Gilfillan

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 12 07:22 BST (UK) »
I guess if you're not sure that the marriage and baptism relate to the same person, you need to check other sources eg all available censuses to see if he gives a specific place of birth. Not all parishes would have had baptism registers at the time he was born so there may be other John Mahonys out there. I guess something led your uncle to hone in on these particular records though? By the way, there is an 1832 Clonakilty marriage in the results I already posted. This is very likely the right marriage for Cornelius Mahony/Mary Ahern. Garranagoleen would be very close to Clonakilty parish.

Offline JohnElf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 12 08:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sonas. I'll look again at the sources you suggest to see if I can tie in, more securely, the John married to Margaret Martin with the John from Garanagoleen.

Do you know of any accounts of the history and living conditions of that particular area in the early 19th century? I would be interested to learn more.

Anyway, thanks again for your help.

John

Offline Sonas

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 October 12 21:23 BST (UK) »
Not really my neck of the woods and I wouldn't be very familiar with local literature. There are some bits and pieces on www.failteromhat.com. Where you are interested in is kind of equidistant from Ross and Clonakilty. There is definitely a local history journal for Ross but not sure about Clonakilty. Unless someone else can suggest something, there is a small museum in Clonakilty as well as a library there so you could try contacting them.

Offline JohnElf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 12 21:52 BST (UK) »
Sonas,

Lots of interesting info on the site you suggested - I now have a good idea of where Garranagoleen actually is, and lots of places to explore.

Very many thanks.

John  ;D ;D

Offline Jacquelinemercer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 April 14 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, random question here.  Did you ever try to find any information on the witnesses on the marriage at the Bavarian Chapel, Warwick St.  I have come across a certificate today, year 1870, at the same chapel, similar address Whitcombe St, with a witness "mark of Mary Gilfillan"  who I believe may be a very distant Gt Aunt to myself.  I have only just started to research the Gilfillan's and think the Mary Gilfillan (married name) maiden name might be Mary Ann Easton, wife of Thomas Gilfillan.  The other witness is another female named Emma but I cannot decipher the surname.

If you have found out any other information I would like to hear more.

Jackie

Offline Jacquelinemercer1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 April 14 01:01 BST (UK) »
just had another look at certificate - the address was number 51 Whitcomb Street - neighbours!