Author Topic: Samuel Sherlock birth 1815 Middleton Cork  (Read 2009 times)

Offline joaneet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Sherlock birth 1815 Middleton Cork
« on: Saturday 22 March 14 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This is my first post.
I have Samuel Sherlock's discharge papers from  the 13th Light Infantry.  In this it records that he joined on 11 June 1830 at Clonmel County Tipperary at the age of 15 yrs and 3 months which gives his birth as approx. March 1815 Middleton Cork.  On his marriage certificate, 5 January 1855 in Stafford, Staffordshire it gives his father as Thomas Sherlock, deceased, occupation a saddler.

I am wondering if anyone can help me find a record of Samuel's birth.

Also, was wondering if his father, Thomas, was also in the army as Samuel's son Samuel Thomas joined the army as well in 1877 in Leamington, Warwickshire.

Thanks
Joan

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Sherlock birth 1815 Middleton Cork
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 March 14 00:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This is my first post.
I have Samuel Sherlock's discharge papers from  the 13th Light Infantry.  In this it records that he joined on 11 June 1830 at Clonmel County Tipperary at the age of 15 yrs and 3 months which gives his birth as approx. March 1815 Middleton Cork.  On his marriage certificate, 5 January 1855 in Stafford, Staffordshire it gives his father as Thomas Sherlock, deceased, occupation a saddler.

I am wondering if anyone can help me find a record of Samuel's birth.

Also, was wondering if his father, Thomas, was also in the army as Samuel's son Samuel Thomas joined the army as well in 1877 in Leamington, Warwickshire.

Thanks
Joan
Hello & welcome to rootschat. I live in midleton co cork & have access to baptismal records. Do you know what denomination Samuel was & I may be able to source :)

Offline joaneet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 March 14 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My, that was quick!!
I am not sure of his religion.
When he married it was in a registry office in Stafford.  I do remember though that on his son's army papers, Roman Catholic was crossed out.
So not sure at all.
Thanks for the offer of a look up, very much appreciated.
Joan

Offline joaneet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 05:15 BST (UK) »
I was just wondering if you had any luck looking for Samuel Sherlock who was supposedly born in Middleton Cork.  Unfortunately I do not know his religion.
Thanks
Joan

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 13:58 BST (UK) »
Joan no baptism records in midleton for surname Sherlock. Have you tried www.rootsireland.ie this site covers Cork North East :)

Offline joaneet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Thanks for looking for me.
I have tried rootireland.ie for Samuel Sherlock with father Thomas Sherlock and without father but nothing.
As far as his religion is conerned he married in Stafford registry office in 1855, so no church record there.  On his army papers, Roman Catholic had been written, but then it was crossed out.
Because the baptism records for Middleton do not start till 1819, if a family was living in Middleton in the early 1800s where would they have gone to have their children baptised, or for marriages to take place?  Not knowing the area makes it hard, not the same when you look at a map as living there.
I shall be in England for 10 days, not long, from 21 Nov till 2 December when I fly back to Sydney.  I could, practically, only come over to Dublin for say 3 nights.  Would it be worth the money involved, or would I be better off trying to find someone who would be willing to do some searching for me and paying him/her?
Thanks
Joan

Offline joaneet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
Just realised I made a mistake.  On Samuel Sherlock's army discharge papers there is no religion written down.  It was his son Samuel Thomas Sherlock who had Church of England written then crossed out and Roman Catholic written.  So presume that family was Roman Catholic.
Joan

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 14:20 BST (UK) »
Joan you will find it difficult to source record for 1815 - midleton begins. 1819. You could look at the following sites www.irishgenealogy.ie (free) www.nationalarchives.ie has Sherlocks in Tithe Applotment records 1820's. www.nli.ie has church registers not searchable online. There were a lot of records destroyed in a fire in early 1900's. :)

Offline joaneet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 June 14 04:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks, will try your suggestions.
Best wishes
Joan