Poll

Can anyone in Tullow help?

Does anyone know who Anastasia Simmons was?
0 (0%)
Are there any Simmons descendants still living in Tullow
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Anastasia Simmons, Tullow 1824.  (Read 5141 times)

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anastasia Simmons, Tullow 1824.
« on: Friday 29 November 13 23:27 GMT (UK) »
From The Morning Chronicle, Thursday September 2, 1824:

"Peace-Officer Halpin" saves a child from sexual slavery in Dublin -

ATTEMPT AT SEDUCTION.

On Saturday evening, about five o’clock, several persons were attracted to the upper part of Trinity street, by the wild and distracted cries of a female of about 14 years of age, that had just escaped from one of those houses of infamous character in that neighbourhood. She clang particularly to a woman in the crowd, of a decent and motherly appearance, who had a child in her arms, and besought her protection. When she recovered a little from her agitation, on being questioned as to the particulars of the transaction, she told the following story with the most heart-touching candour and simplicity: - She lived in Tullow, in the county of Carlow; her name was Anty (Anastasia) Simmons. Some people from that neighbourhood came to Donybrook to sell cheese at the fair; she purchased a small stock, and accompanied them. On Saturday, whilst in the fair, a man of sedate and respectable appearance, in company with a fine looking lady, came up to her, and, after some conversation, told her if she came into town he would immediately give her a good place in his family, as he wanted a servant of her description; that the lady and all the neighbours advised her to come into town, which she accordingly did, with the gentleman, who shortly after leaving the fair, parted from the lady. He brought her to the house ‘there beyand’, and took her up stairs; that a woman (after some whispering between them) immediately came up, and began to close the shutters, and he thereupon attempted to take liberties with her; that on perceiving his object, she screamed, and ran down stairs; the two women below thought to hold her, but she escaped from them. At the conclusion of her story, she turned round to the crowd in the most pathetic manner and said: “Oh, all I want in the wide world is that some good Christian will bring me back to the people I know in the fair, that I may get home to my own country. I had often heard of Dublin, but I never knew what it was before.” Here the poor creature burst into tears. A gentleman who happened to be passing requested she would accompany him to College street Police-office, where the above complaint was put in form on the day-constable’s book. There being no Magistrate at that time in attendance, Peace-officer Halpin, in the most praiseworthy manner, made her go along with him to the house to which she had been entrapped. The peace-officer being told by a person who had seen the gentleman follow the little girl from the house of ill fame, that he was walking up and down Dame-street, pursued him, and on addressing him, he assumed a most determined tone. He asked the peace-officer for his authority for stopping him; the other evaded the question, as he had no warrant for taking him into custody, and told him, all he wanted (and he would not let him go unless he gave it) was his address. He at length, after much altercation, went into a public house, and wrote a name and address, which he gave to the officer as his. The peace-officer then sent the child to her friends in the fair; she promised him she would come back yesterday (Sunday), but as the fair was broken up on Saturday evening, it is supposed she went home with her poor neighbours. Several persons attended the poor girl to the police-office, and some of their names were taken down, who saw her make her escape. – Dublin Morning Post.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Anastasia Simmons, Tullow 1824.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, I looked at various records and could not find Anastatia Simmons. In the Tithe Applotment books for county Carlow, I found 5 Simmons' but not one in Tullow.The Simmons I did find are:

George Simmons Tallow St Carlow
William Smmons Hacketstown
Daniel Simmons Nurney
Peter and Thomas Simmons St Mullins

What you could do is to go to your nearest LDS(Latter Day Saints)library where they can get in the parish registers for Tullow as well as the other parishes and you could look for Anastatia's baptism.Tullows baptism records available are as follows:

Baptisms:
Aug 1763-Jan 1781
Jan 1798-Jan 1802
Aug 1830-Apr 1858
*they really do not cover year if Anastatia was indeed 14 at the time but many times Irish ages may be older so its worth a check.Also check the marriage register which has from Jan 1799- Feb 1800 and June 1807- May 1830 as you may find Simmons who would relate to her.
Also available are records for Carlow town,Hacketstown and St Mullins which they may have moved to after this incidence.Hope this helps,Kim

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 10:39 BST (UK) »

Excellent work, Kim.  Many thanks for your assistance.  The police officer mentioned in the story was not related to my family, but in researching my own background I came across this story and thought someone with a connection to Tullow/Carlow might be interested in it.  Many thanks again for your help.  If I find out more about Anastasia (what was a name like Anastasia doing in Tullow in the 1820s?  Was her father a veteran of the Napoleonic wars?) I'll let you know.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,yes please do let me know as the story is most intriguing. Funny enough, I have done quite a bit of research in county Carlow and the amount of Anastasias is mind boggling. Many times they use the name Nancy in lieu of it even though the name is translated into English as Nancy. I have records in my files for St Mullins and will dig them out and have a look for her in them as well.If I find anything I will let you know.Kim

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 April 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Kim, and all the best.